OTHER GENEALOGY RESOURCES
North Carolina History & Facts
County Vital Records ∣ County Census Records ∣ County Courthouse and Government Records ∣
County Societies, Family History Resources and County Genealogy Links
Wayne County, North Carolina History
When was Wayne County, NC Created?
Wayne County was created on 1779 from Dobbs County.
What is the County Seat of Wayne County, NC?
The County Seat is located in Goldsboro also, the county government website is www.waynegov.com.
What counties are adjacent to Wayne County, NC?
Bordering Counties are Wilson County, Greene County, Lenoir County, Duplin County, Sampson County, Johnston County.
Wayne County, NC Vital Records
Where can find Wayne County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Wayne County vital records can be found at the North Carolina Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Carolina for current fees and application process.
Birth, death and marriage certificates also may be obtained at the Wayne County Register of Deeds (ROD) office. Divorce certificates may be obtained from the Wayne County clerk of court.
You can search online for Wayne County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for North Carolina Birth Certificate, Death, Divorce and Marriage Certificate Application to mail.
The North Carolina State Archives has the following vital records: Death Certificates, 1913-1975 (Statewide Index: 1913-1979); microfilmed Indexes to Births and Deaths (except Wake, Durham); Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868 (not required by law); Cohabitation Records, 1866-1867; microfilmed Marriage Registers and Indexes; microfilmed Marriage Licenses for many of the counties See Also North Carolina Vital Records Research Guide
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- North Carolina, County Marriages, 1762-1979
- Wayne Co., NC GenWeb Archives Marriage Records
- Wayne County, North Carolina Marriage Project
- Wayne Co., NC GenWeb Archives Births & Deaths Records
- Social Security Death Index
- North Carolina, Birth Indexes, 1800-2000
- North Carolina Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868
- North Carolina Marriage Collection, 1741-2004
- North Carolina, Death Indexes, 1800-2000
- North Carolina Death Certificates, 1909-1975
- North Carolina, Death Collection, 1908-2004
Wayne County, NC Census Records
What Wayne County, NC census records are available?
County census records consists of Federal Census Schedules which can guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Wayne Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wayne Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wayne Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also North Carolina Census Records Research Guide
Wayne County, NC Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Wayne County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Wayne County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in North Carolina courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless North Carolina residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Wayne County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also North Carolina Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Wayne County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 224 E. Walnut St., Goldsboro, NC 27530
- Wayne County Register of Deeds
- Phone: (919) 731-1449
- Birth Records: 1913
- Marriage Records: 1790
- Death Records: 1913
- Land Records: 1780
- Wayne County Clerk of Court
- Phone: (919) 222-6100
- Probate Records: 1776
- Court Records: 1782
- Divorce Records: call court clerk for details
- North Carolina, Wills and Probate Records, 1665-1998
- Guide to Research Materials in the North Carolina State Archives: Wayne County Records
- Wayne Co., NC GenWeb Archives Court Records
- County Records in the North Carolina State Archives
- Wayne Co., NC GenWeb Archives Wills & Estate Records
- Wayne Co., NC GenWeb Archives Deed Records
- North Carolina, County Records, 1833-1970
- BLM Land Records
Wayne County, NC Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Wayne County, NC?
A list of Wayne County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See also a list of Statewide North Carolina Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Wayne County Historical Association,116 N William St., Goldsboro, NC 27530
- Old Dobbs County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 617, Goldsboro, NC 27533
- Wayne County Public Library, E. Ash Street, Goldsboro NC 27530
- North Carolina State Archives, Office of Archives and History—State Library Building; Public Services Branch, Mail Service Center 4614, Raleigh, N.C. 27699-4614 ; Phone: (919) 807-7310
- State Library of North Carolina, 109 East Jones Street, Raleigh, NC 27601-2807; (919) 733-7222, (919) 733-3270
- North Carolina Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 22, Greenville, NC 27835
Where can I connect with other Wayne County, NC Researchers through message boards and forums?
- North Carolina Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- State of North Carolina Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Wayne County, North Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Wayne County
- Wayne County, North Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Wayne County, NC?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Wayne County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Wayne Co. NC Books, Newspapers & Publications
- North Carolina Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- North Carolina historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from North Carolina (1719 – 1977) (genealogybank.com)
- Wayne County, North Carolina Books (amazon.com)
- Wayne Co., NC GenWeb Archives Obituary Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Search North Carolina Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
Wayne Co. NC Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
- Wayne Co., North Carolina Graves (findagrave.com)
- Wayne County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Wayne Co., NC GenWeb Archives Cemeteries & Photos (usgwarchives.net)
- Wayne Co., North Carolina Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Wayne Co., North Carolina Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Wayne Co., NC GenWeb Archives Church Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Wayne Co., NC GenWeb Archives Bible Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Wayne County, North Carolina Church Books (amazon.com)
Wayne Co. NC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Create a Free Family Tree (ancestry.com)
- Wayne Co., NC GenWeb Archives Biographies & Collections (usgwarchives.net)
- Nichols and Related Families (nicholsgenealogy.com)
Wayne Co. NC General and History Websites
- Wayne County, North Carolina Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- A History of Wayne County, North Carolina (carolana.com)
- Wayne County, North Carolina Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Wayne Co. NC Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- North Carolina Digital Collections (digital.ncdcr.gov)
- Wayne County, North Carolina (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – North Carolina – Counties – Wayne (cyndislist.com)
- Wayne County North Carolina (genealogytrails.com)
- Wayne Co. NCGenweb (ncgenweb.us)
- Wayne County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Wayne County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Wayne Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Wayne Co. NC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of North Carolina Links and Information
- Wayne Co. D.O.T. Maps [Map 1] – [Map 2] – [Map 3] – [Thumbnail of Sheet Key]
- Map of Wayne County, NC Municipalities and Townships
- 1895 Wayne County Map (livgenmi.com)
Wayne Co. NC Military Records
- North Carolina Military Records Research Guide
- Wayne Co., NC GenWeb Archives Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- North Carolina Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the North Carolina women and men who served. Perfect for Wayne County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Wayne Co. NC Schools & Directories
- North Carolina City Directories (search.ancestry.com)
- Directory of Scots in the Carolinas, 1680-1830 (search.ancestry.com)