OTHER GENEALOGY RESOURCES
North Carolina History & Facts
County Vital Records ∣ County Census Records ∣ County Courthouse and Government Records ∣
County Societies, Family History Resources and County Genealogy Links
Johnston County, North Carolina History
When was Johnston County, NC Created?
Johnston County was created on June 28, 1746 from Craven County.
What is the County Seat of Johnston County, NC?
The County Seat is located in Smithfield also, the county government website is www.johnstonnc.com.
What counties are adjacent to Johnston County, NC?
Bordering Counties are Nash County, Wilson County, Wayne County, Sampson County, Harnett County, Wake County.
Johnston County, NC Vital Records
Where can find Johnston County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Johnston County vital records can be found at the North Carolina Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Carolina for current fees and application process.
Birth, death and marriage certificates also may be obtained at the Johnston County Register of Deeds (ROD) office. Divorce certificates may be obtained from the Johnston County clerk of court.
You can search online for Johnston County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for North Carolina Birth Certificate, Death, Divorce and Marriage Certificate Application to mail.
The North Carolina State Archives has the following vital records: Death Certificates, 1913-1975 (Statewide Index: 1913-1979); microfilmed Indexes to Births and Deaths (except Wake, Durham); Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868 (not required by law); Cohabitation Records, 1866-1867; microfilmed Marriage Registers and Indexes; microfilmed Marriage Licenses for many of the counties See Also North Carolina Vital Records Research Guide
- Marriages of Johnston County, North Carolina, 1762-1868
- North Carolina, County Marriages, 1762-1979
- Johnston Co., NC GenWeb Archives Marriage Records
- Johnston County, North Carolina Marriage Project
- Johnston Co., NC GenWeb Archives Births & Deaths Records
- Social Security Death Index
- North Carolina, Birth Indexes, 1800-2000
- North Carolina Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868
- North Carolina Marriage Collection, 1741-2004
- North Carolina, Death Indexes, 1800-2000
- North Carolina Death Certificates, 1909-1975
- North Carolina, Death Collection, 1908-2004
Johnston County, NC Census Records
What Johnston County, NC census records are available?
County census records consists of Federal Census Schedules which can guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Johnston Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Johnston Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Johnston Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also North Carolina Census Records Research Guide
Johnston County, NC Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Johnston County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Johnston County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in North Carolina courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless North Carolina residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Johnston County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also North Carolina Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Johnston County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 207 E Johnston St, Smithfield, NC 27577
- Johnston County Register of Deeds
- Phone: 919-989-5160
- Birth Records: 1914
- Marriage Records: 1746
- Death Records: 1914
- Land Records: 1748
- Johnston County Clerk of Court
- Phone: 919-209-5400
- Probate Records: 1760
- Court Records: 1759
- Divorce Records: call court clerk for details
- North Carolina, Wills and Probate Records, 1665-1998
- Johnston County Tax Assessor / Collector
- Guide to Research Materials in the North Carolina State Archives: Johnston County Records
- Johnston Co., NC GenWeb Archives Court Records
- County Records in the North Carolina State Archives
- Johnston Co., NC GenWeb Archives Wills & Estate Records
- Johnston Co., NC GenWeb Archives Deed Records
- North Carolina, County Records, 1833-1970
- BLM Land Records
Johnston County, NC Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Johnston County, NC?
A list of Johnston County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See also a list of Statewide North Carolina Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Johnston County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 2373, Smithfield, NC 27577-2373; 828-631-2646
- North Carolina State Archives, Office of Archives and History—State Library Building; Public Services Branch, Mail Service Center 4614, Raleigh, N.C. 27699-4614 ; Phone: (919) 807-7310
- State Library of North Carolina, 109 East Jones Street, Raleigh, NC 27601-2807; (919) 733-7222, (919) 733-3270
- North Carolina Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 22, Greenville, NC 27835
Where can I connect with other Johnston County, NC Researchers through message boards and forums?
- North Carolina Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- State of North Carolina Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Johnston County, North Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Johnston County
- Johnston County, North Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Johnston County, NC?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Johnston County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Johnston Co. NC Books, Newspapers & Publications
- North Carolina Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- North Carolina historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from North Carolina (1719 – 1977) (genealogybank.com)
- Johnston County, North Carolina Books (amazon.com)
- Johnston Co., NC GenWeb Archives Obituary Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Search North Carolina Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
Johnston Co. NC Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
- Johnston Co., North Carolina Graves (findagrave.com)
- Johnston County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Johnston Co., NC GenWeb Archives Cemeteries & Photos (usgwarchives.net)
- Johnston Co., North Carolina Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Johnston Co., North Carolina Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Johnston Co., NC GenWeb Archives Church Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Johnston Co., NC GenWeb Archives Bible Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Johnston County, North Carolina Church Books (amazon.com)
Johnston Co. NC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Create a Free Family Tree (ancestry.com)
- Johnston Co., NC GenWeb Archives Biographies & Collections (usgwarchives.net)
- Nichols and Related Families (nicholsgenealogy.com)
Johnston Co. NC General and History Websites
- Johnston County, North Carolina Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- A History of Johnston County, North Carolina (carolana.com)
- Johnston County, North Carolina Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Johnston Co. NC Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- North Carolina Digital Collections (digital.ncdcr.gov)
- Johnston County, North Carolina (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – North Carolina – Counties – Johnston (cyndislist.com)
- Johnston County North Carolina (genealogytrails.com)
- Johnston Co. NCGenweb (ncgenweb.us)
- Johnston County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Johnston County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Johnston Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Johnston Co. NC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of North Carolina Links and Information
- Johnston Co. D.O.T. Maps [Map 1] – [Map 2] – [Map 3] – [Map 4] – [Map 5] – [Thumbnail of Sheet Key]
- Map of Johnston County, NC Municipalities and Townships
- 1895 Johnston County Map (livgenmi.com)
Johnston Co. NC Military Records
- North Carolina Military Records Research Guide
- Johnston Co., NC GenWeb Archives Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- North Carolina Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the North Carolina women and men who served. Perfect for Johnston County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Johnston Co. NC Schools & Directories
- North Carolina City Directories (search.ancestry.com)
- Directory of Scots in the Carolinas, 1680-1830 (search.ancestry.com)