OTHER GENEALOGY RESOURCES
North Carolina History & Facts
County Vital Records ∣ County Census Records ∣ County Courthouse and Government Records ∣
County Societies, Family History Resources and County Genealogy Links
Pitt County, North Carolina History
When was Pitt County, NC Created?
Pitt County was created on 1760 from Beaufort County.
What is the County Seat of Pitt County, NC?
The County Seat is located in Greenville also, the county government website is www.pittcountync.gov.
What counties are adjacent to Pitt County, NC?
Bordering Counties are Martin County, Beaufort County, Craven County, Lenoir County, Greene County, Wilson County, Edgecombe County.
Pitt County, NC Vital Records
Where can find Pitt County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Pitt County vital records can be found at the North Carolina Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Carolina for current fees and application process.
Birth, death and marriage certificates also may be obtained at the Pitt County Register of Deeds (ROD) office. Divorce certificates may be obtained from the Pitt County clerk of court.
You can search online for Pitt County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for North Carolina Birth Certificate, Death, Divorce and Marriage Certificate Application to mail.
The North Carolina State Archives has the following vital records: Death Certificates, 1913-1975 (Statewide Index: 1913-1979); microfilmed Indexes to Births and Deaths (except Wake, Durham); Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868 (not required by law); Cohabitation Records, 1866-1867; microfilmed Marriage Registers and Indexes; microfilmed Marriage Licenses for many of the counties See Also North Carolina Vital Records Research Guide
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- North Carolina, County Marriages, 1762-1979
- Pitt Co., NC GenWeb Archives Marriage Records
- Pitt County, North Carolina Marriage Project
- Pitt Co., NC GenWeb Archives Births & Deaths Records
- Social Security Death Index
- North Carolina, Birth Indexes, 1800-2000
- North Carolina Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868
- North Carolina Marriage Collection, 1741-2004
- North Carolina, Death Indexes, 1800-2000
- North Carolina Death Certificates, 1909-1975
- North Carolina, Death Collection, 1908-2004
Pitt County, NC Census Records
What Pitt County, NC census records are available?
County census records consists of Federal Census Schedules which can guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Pitt Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Pitt Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Pitt Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also North Carolina Census Records Research Guide
Pitt County, NC Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Pitt County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Pitt County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in North Carolina courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless North Carolina residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Pitt County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also North Carolina Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Pitt County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 W Third St, Greenville, NC 27835
- Pitt County Register of Deeds
- Phone: 252.902.1650
- Birth Records: 1913
- Marriage Records: 1826
- Death Records: 1913
- Land Records: 1762
- Pitt County Clerk of Court
- Phone: 252.695-7100
- Probate Records: 1836
- Court Records: 1850
- Divorce Records: call court clerk for details
- North Carolina, Wills and Probate Records, 1665-1998
- Guide to Research Materials in the North Carolina State Archives: Pitt County Records
- Pitt Co., NC GenWeb Archives Court Records
- County Records in the North Carolina State Archives
- Pitt Co., NC GenWeb Archives Wills & Estate Records
- Pitt Co., NC GenWeb Archives Deed Records
- North Carolina, County Records, 1833-1970
- BLM Land Records
Pitt County, NC Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Pitt County, NC?
A list of Pitt County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See also a list of Statewide North Carolina Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Pitt County Historical Society, Inc., P.O. Box 1554, Greenville, NC 27835-1554
- Pitt County Family Researchers, P. O. Box 20339, Greenville, NC 27858-0339; They meet on the third Tuesday of each month in the conference room at Sheppard Memorial Library at 7:00pm. Publishes the “Pitt County Genealogical Quarterly”. Pitt Co mail & discussion list at [email protected] Put nothing in the subject line and type the word subscribe in the body of the message….nothing else….no signature.
- Family Research Society of Northeastern North Carolina, Inc., 410 E. Main St., Suite 204, Elizabeth City, NC. 27906-1425
- North Carolina State Archives, Office of Archives and History—State Library Building; Public Services Branch, Mail Service Center 4614, Raleigh, N.C. 27699-4614 ; Phone: (919) 807-7310
- State Library of North Carolina, 109 East Jones Street, Raleigh, NC 27601-2807; (919) 733-7222, (919) 733-3270
- North Carolina Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 22, Greenville, NC 27835
Where can I connect with other Pitt County, NC Researchers through message boards and forums?
- North Carolina Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- State of North Carolina Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Pitt County, North Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Pitt County
- Pitt County, North Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Pitt County, NC?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Pitt County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Pitt Co. NC Books, Newspapers & Publications
- North Carolina Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- North Carolina historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from North Carolina (1719 – 1977) (genealogybank.com)
- Pitt County, North Carolina Books (amazon.com)
- Pitt Co., NC GenWeb Archives Obituary Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Search North Carolina Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
Pitt Co. NC Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
- Pitt Co., North Carolina Graves (findagrave.com)
- Pitt County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Pitt Co., NC GenWeb Archives Cemeteries & Photos (usgwarchives.net)
- Pitt Co., North Carolina Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Pitt Co., North Carolina Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Pitt Co., NC GenWeb Archives Church Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Pitt Co., NC GenWeb Archives Bible Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Pitt County, North Carolina Church Books (amazon.com)
Pitt Co. NC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Create a Free Family Tree (ancestry.com)
- Pitt Co., NC GenWeb Archives Biographies & Collections (usgwarchives.net)
- Nichols and Related Families (nicholsgenealogy.com)
Pitt Co. NC General and History Websites
- Pitt County, North Carolina Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Sketches of Pitt County : a brief history of the county, 1704-1910 : illustrations and maps (search.ancestry.com)
- A History of Pitt County, North Carolina (carolana.com)
- Pitt County, North Carolina Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Pitt Co. NC Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- North Carolina Digital Collections (digital.ncdcr.gov)
- Pitt County, North Carolina (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – North Carolina – Counties – Pitt (cyndislist.com)
- Pitt County North Carolina (genealogytrails.com)
- Pitt Co. NCGenweb (ncgenweb.us)
- Pitt County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Pitt County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Pitt Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Pitt Co. NC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of North Carolina Links and Information
- Pitt Co. D.O.T. Maps [Map 1] – [Map 2] – [Map 3] – [Thumbnail of Sheet Key]
- Map of Pitt County, NC Municipalities and Townships
- 1895 Pitt County Map (livgenmi.com)
Pitt Co. NC Military Records
- North Carolina Military Records Research Guide
- Pitt Co., NC GenWeb Archives Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- North Carolina Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the North Carolina women and men who served. Perfect for Pitt County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Pitt Co. NC Schools & Directories
- North Carolina City Directories (search.ancestry.com)
- Directory of Scots in the Carolinas, 1680-1830 (search.ancestry.com)