OTHER GENEALOGY RESOURCES
North Carolina History & Facts
County Vital Records ∣ County Census Records ∣ County Courthouse and Government Records ∣
County Societies, Family History Resources and County Genealogy Links
Martin County, North Carolina History
When was Martin County, NC Created?
Martin County was created on March 2, 1774 from Halifax County and Tyrrell County.
What is the County Seat of Martin County, NC?
The County Seat is located in Franklin also, the county government website is www.martincountyncgov.com/.
What counties are adjacent to Martin County, NC?
Bordering Counties are Bertie County, Washington County, Beaufort County, Pitt County, Edgecombe County, Halifax County.
Martin County, NC Vital Records
Where can find Martin County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Martin County vital records can be found at the North Carolina Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Carolina for current fees and application process.
Birth, death and marriage certificates also may be obtained at the Martin County Register of Deeds (ROD) office. Divorce certificates may be obtained from the Martin County clerk of court.
You can search online for Martin County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for North Carolina Birth Certificate, Death, Divorce and Marriage Certificate Application to mail.
The North Carolina State Archives has the following vital records: Death Certificates, 1913-1975 (Statewide Index: 1913-1979); microfilmed Indexes to Births and Deaths (except Wake, Durham); Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868 (not required by law); Cohabitation Records, 1866-1867; microfilmed Marriage Registers and Indexes; microfilmed Marriage Licenses for many of the counties See Also North Carolina Vital Records Research Guide
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- North Carolina, County Marriages, 1762-1979
- Martin Co., NC GenWeb Archives Marriage Records
- Martin County, North Carolina Marriage Project
- Martin Co., NC GenWeb Archives Births & Deaths Records
- Social Security Death Index
- North Carolina, Birth Indexes, 1800-2000
- North Carolina Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868
- North Carolina Marriage Collection, 1741-2004
- North Carolina, Death Indexes, 1800-2000
- North Carolina Death Certificates, 1909-1975
- North Carolina, Death Collection, 1908-2004
Martin County, NC Census Records
What Martin County, NC census records are available?
County census records consists of Federal Census Schedules which can guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Martin Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Martin Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Martin Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also North Carolina Census Records Research Guide
Martin County, NC Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Martin County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Martin County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in North Carolina courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless North Carolina residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Martin County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also North Carolina Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Martin County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 305 E Main St, Williamston, NC 27892
- Martin County Register of Deeds
- Phone: 252-789-4320
- Birth Records: 1913
- Marriage Records: 1872
- Death Records: 1913
- Land Records: 1774
- Martin County Clerk of Court
- Phone: 252-809-5100
- Probate Records: 1774
- Court Records: 1809
- Divorce Records: call court clerk for details
- North Carolina, Wills and Probate Records, 1665-1998
- Guide to Research Materials in the North Carolina State Archives: Martin County Records
- Martin Co., NC GenWeb Archives Court Records
- County Records in the North Carolina State Archives
- Martin Co., NC GenWeb Archives Wills & Estate Records
- Martin Co., NC GenWeb Archives Deed Records
- North Carolina, County Records, 1833-1970
- BLM Land Records
Martin County, NC Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Martin County, NC?
A list of Martin County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See also a list of Statewide North Carolina Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Martin County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 121, Williamston, NC 27892-0121
- Martin County Historical Society, P.O. Box 468, Williamston, NC 27892
- North Carolina State Archives, Office of Archives and History—State Library Building; Public Services Branch, Mail Service Center 4614, Raleigh, N.C. 27699-4614 ; Phone: (919) 807-7310
- State Library of North Carolina, 109 East Jones Street, Raleigh, NC 27601-2807; (919) 733-7222, (919) 733-3270
- North Carolina Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 22, Greenville, NC 27835
Where can I connect with other Martin County, NC Researchers through message boards and forums?
- North Carolina Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- State of North Carolina Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Martin County, North Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Martin County
- Martin County, North Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Martin County, NC?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Martin County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Martin Co. NC Books, Newspapers & Publications
- North Carolina Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- North Carolina historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from North Carolina (1719 – 1977) (genealogybank.com)
- Martin County, North Carolina Books (amazon.com)
- Martin Co., NC GenWeb Archives Obituary Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Search North Carolina Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
Martin Co. NC Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
- Martin Co., North Carolina Graves (findagrave.com)
- Martin County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Martin Co., NC GenWeb Archives Cemeteries & Photos (usgwarchives.net)
- Martin Co., North Carolina Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Martin Co., North Carolina Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Martin Co., NC GenWeb Archives Church Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Martin Co., NC GenWeb Archives Bible Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Martin County, North Carolina Church Books (amazon.com)
Martin Co. NC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Create a Free Family Tree (ancestry.com)
- Martin Co., NC GenWeb Archives Biographies & Collections (usgwarchives.net)
- Nichols and Related Families (nicholsgenealogy.com)
Martin Co. NC General and History Websites
- Martin County, North Carolina Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- A History of Martin County, North Carolina (carolana.com)
- Martin County, North Carolina Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Martin Co. NC Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- North Carolina Digital Collections (digital.ncdcr.gov)
- Martin County, North Carolina (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – North Carolina – Counties – Martin (cyndislist.com)
- Martin County North Carolina (genealogytrails.com)
- Martin Co. NCGenweb (ncgenweb.us)
- Martin County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Martin County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Martin Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Martin Co. NC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of North Carolina Links and Information
- Martin Co. D.O.T. Maps [Map 1] – [Map 2]
- Map of Martin County, NC Municipalities and Townships
- 1895 Martin County Map (livgenmi.com)
Martin Co. NC Military Records
- North Carolina Military Records Research Guide
- Martin Co., NC GenWeb Archives Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- North Carolina Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the North Carolina women and men who served. Perfect for Martin County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Martin Co. NC Schools & Directories
- North Carolina City Directories (search.ancestry.com)
- Directory of Scots in the Carolinas, 1680-1830 (search.ancestry.com)