OTHER GENEALOGY RESOURCES
North Carolina History & Facts
County Vital Records ∣ County Census Records ∣ County Courthouse and Government Records ∣
County Societies, Family History Resources and County Genealogy Links
Gaston County, North Carolina History
When was Gaston County, NC Created?
Gaston County was created on December 21, 1846 from Lincoln County.
What is the County Seat of Gaston County, NC?
The County Seat is located in Gastonia also, the county government website is www.gastongov.com/.
What counties are adjacent to Gaston County, NC?
Bordering Counties are Lincoln County, Mecklenburg County, York County, South Carolina, Cleveland County.
Gaston County, NC Vital Records
Where can find Gaston County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Gaston County vital records can be found at the North Carolina Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Carolina for current fees and application process.
Birth, death and marriage certificates also may be obtained at the Gaston County Register of Deeds (ROD) office. Divorce certificates may be obtained from the Gaston County clerk of court.
You can search online for Gaston County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for North Carolina Birth Certificate, Death, Divorce and Marriage Certificate Application to mail.
The North Carolina State Archives has the following vital records: Death Certificates, 1913-1975 (Statewide Index: 1913-1979); microfilmed Indexes to Births and Deaths (except Wake, Durham); Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868 (not required by law); Cohabitation Records, 1866-1867; microfilmed Marriage Registers and Indexes; microfilmed Marriage Licenses for many of the counties See Also North Carolina Vital Records Research Guide
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- North Carolina, County Marriages, 1762-1979
- Gaston Co., NC GenWeb Archives Marriage Records
- Gaston County, North Carolina Marriage Project
- Gaston Co., NC GenWeb Archives Births & Deaths Records
- Social Security Death Index
- North Carolina, Birth Indexes, 1800-2000
- North Carolina Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868
- North Carolina Marriage Collection, 1741-2004
- North Carolina, Death Indexes, 1800-2000
- North Carolina Death Certificates, 1909-1975
- North Carolina, Death Collection, 1908-2004
Gaston County, NC Census Records
What Gaston County, NC census records are available?
County census records consists of Federal Census Schedules which can guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Gaston Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Gaston Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Gaston Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also North Carolina Census Records Research Guide
Gaston County, NC Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Gaston County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Gaston County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in North Carolina courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless North Carolina residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Gaston County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also North Carolina Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Gaston County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 325 North Marietta St, Gastonia, NC 28052-2331
- Phone: (704) 852-3100
- Gaston County Register of Deeds
- Phone: 704-862-7687
- Birth Records: ?
- Marriage Records: 1848
- Death Records: ?
- Land Records: 1846
- Gaston County Clerk of Court
- Phone: 704-852-3100
- Probate Records: 1839
- Court Records: 1847
- Divorce Records: call court clerk for details
- North Carolina, Wills and Probate Records, 1665-1998
- Guide to Research Materials in the North Carolina State Archives: Gaston County Records
- Gaston Co., NC GenWeb Archives Court Records
- County Records in the North Carolina State Archives
- Gaston Co., NC GenWeb Archives Wills & Estate Records
- Gaston Co., NC GenWeb Archives Deed Records
- North Carolina, County Records, 1833-1970
- BLM Land Records
Gaston County, NC Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Gaston County, NC?
A list of Gaston County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See also a list of Statewide North Carolina Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Gaston-Lincoln Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 584, Mt. Holly, NC 28120
- North Carolina State Archives, Office of Archives and History—State Library Building; Public Services Branch, Mail Service Center 4614, Raleigh, N.C. 27699-4614 ; Phone: (919) 807-7310
- State Library of North Carolina, 109 East Jones Street, Raleigh, NC 27601-2807; (919) 733-7222, (919) 733-3270
- North Carolina Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 22, Greenville, NC 27835
Where can I connect with other Gaston County, NC Researchers through message boards and forums?
- North Carolina Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- State of North Carolina Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Gaston County, North Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Gaston County
- Gaston County, North Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Gaston County, NC?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Gaston County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Gaston Co. NC Books, Newspapers & Publications
- North Carolina Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- North Carolina historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from North Carolina (1719 – 1977) (genealogybank.com)
- Gastonia Daily Gazette (Gastonia, North Carolina) (search.ancestry.com)
- Gaston County, North Carolina Books (amazon.com)
- Gaston Co., NC GenWeb Archives Obituary Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Search North Carolina Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
Gaston Co. NC Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
- Old Family and Community Graveyards and Cemeteries of Gaston County , North Carolina (freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Gaston Co., North Carolina Graves (findagrave.com)
- Gaston County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Gaston Co., NC GenWeb Archives Cemeteries & Photos (usgwarchives.net)
- Gaston Co., North Carolina Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Gaston Co., North Carolina Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Gaston Co., NC GenWeb Archives Church Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Gaston Co., NC GenWeb Archives Bible Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Gaston County, North Carolina Church Books (amazon.com)
Gaston Co. NC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Create a Free Family Tree (ancestry.com)
- Gaston Co., NC GenWeb Archives Biographies & Collections (usgwarchives.net)
- Nichols and Related Families (nicholsgenealogy.com)
Gaston Co. NC General and History Websites
- Gaston County, North Carolina Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- A History of Gaston County, North Carolina (carolana.com)
- Gaston County, North Carolina Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Gaston Co. NC Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- North Carolina Digital Collections (digital.ncdcr.gov)
- Gaston County, North Carolina (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – North Carolina – Counties – Gaston (cyndislist.com)
- Gaston County North Carolina (genealogytrails.com)
- Gaston Co. NCGenweb (ncgenweb.us)
- Gaston County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Gaston County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Gaston Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Gaston Co. NC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of North Carolina Links and Information
- Gaston Co. D.O.T. Maps [Map 1] – [Map 2] – [Map 3] – [Map 4] – [Map 5] – [Thumbnail of Sheet Key]
- Map of Gaston County, NC Municipalities and Townships
- 1895 Gaston County Map (livgenmi.com)
Gaston Co. NC Military Records
- North Carolina Military Records Research Guide
- Gaston Co., NC GenWeb Archives Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- North Carolina Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the North Carolina women and men who served. Perfect for Gaston County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Gaston Co. NC Schools & Directories
- North Carolina City Directories (search.ancestry.com)
- Directory of Scots in the Carolinas, 1680-1830 (search.ancestry.com)