South Carolina History & Facts
York County, South Carolina Facts
When was York County, SC Created?
York County was established on 1798 from Camden District.
What counties are adjacent to York County, SC?
Bordering counties are Gaston County, North Carolina, Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, Lancaster County, Chester County, Union County, Cherokee County, Cleveland County, North Carolina.
York County, SC Vital Records
Where can find York County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
York County vital records can be found at the South Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in South Carolina for current fees and application process.
York County Health Department has birth and death records from January 01, 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk’s office. There were no South Carolina birth or Death “certificates” before January 01, 1915
You can search online for York County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for South Carolina Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
York County, SC Census Records
What York County, SC census records are available?
County census records consists of Federal Census Schedules to aid in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
York Co. Slave Schedules can be acquired for 1850 & 1860. York Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. York Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. York Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. One can find free downloadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
York County, SC Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the York County Courthouse?
- York County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 2 South Congress Street, York, South Carolina 29745
- York County Clerk of Probate Court
- Address: 1 East Liberty Street, P.O. Box 219, York, SC 29745
- Phone: 803-684-8513
- Marriage Records: 1911
- Probate Records: 1786
- York County Clerk of Court / Register of Deeds
- Address: 1675 1G York Highway, P.O. Box 649, York, SC 29745
- Phone: 803-628-3036
- Land Records: 1786
- Court Records: 1786
- Divorce Records:since April 1949
York County, SC Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for York County, SC?
A list of York County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives.
- York County Genealogical and Historical Society, PO Box 3061 CRS, Rock Hill, SC 29732; phone: (803) 327-4667
- Historic Rock Hill, PO Box 651, Rock Hill, SC 29731; phone: (803) 329-1020
- Broad River Basin Historical Society, PO Box 86, Sharon, SC 29742
- Culture & Heritage Museums, 4621 Mount Gallant Rd., Rock Hill, SC 29732-8666; phone: (803) 329-2121
- White Homestead, 1826 Second Baxter Crossing, Fort Mill, SC 29708; phone (803) 547-4557
- USGenWeb Archives for York County (usgwarchives.net)
- South Carolina Department of Archives and History, 8301 Parklane Road; Columbia, SC 29223-4905; Tel: (803) 896-6100
- South Carolina State Library, 1500 Senate Street, PO Box 11469; Columbia, South Carolina 29211; Voice: (803) 734-8666
- South Carolina Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 16355, Greenville, SC 29606
- South Carolina Historical Society, 100 Meeting Street, Charleston 29401
- South Carolina Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies Guide
Where can I connect with other York County, SC Researchers through message boards and forums?
- South Carolina State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- York County, South Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in York County
- York County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in York County, SC?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to York County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.