Shannon County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Shannon County, Missouri Facts
When was Shannon County, MO Created?
Shannon County was created on January 29, 1841 from Ripley County.
What is the County Seat of Shannon County, MO?
The County Seat is located in Eminence and in addition the county government website is unknown
Shannon County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Shannon County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Shannon County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Shannon County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Shannon County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
Shannon County, MO Census Records
What Shannon County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Shannon County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Shannon Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Shannon Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Shannon Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Shannon Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Shannon County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Shannon County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Shannon County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Missouri residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Shannon County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Missouri Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Shannon County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 106 Main St, Eminence, MO 65466
- Shannon County Recorder of Deeds
- Phone: 573-226-3315
- Marriage Records: 1881
- Land Records: 1859
- Shannon County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk
- Phone: (573) 226-3315
- Probate Records: 1869
- Court & Divorce Records: 1872
- Shannon County Clerk of the Court
- Phone: (573) 226-3414
- Birth & Death Records: ?
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 – 1969
- BLM Land Records
Shannon County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Shannon County, MO?
A list of Shannon County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Winona Historical and Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 335, Winona, MO 65588; Phone: (573) 325-4728
- South Central Missouri Genealogical Society, 9 Court Square, West Plains, MO 65775
- Ozarks Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 3945, 534 West Catalpa, Springfield, MO 65808; Phone: (417) 831-2773
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Shannon County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Missouri Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Shannon County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Shannon County
- Shannon County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Shannon County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Shannon County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.