Howell County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Howell County, Missouri Facts
When was Howell County, MO Created?
Howell County was created on March 2, 1857 from Oregon County.
Howell County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Howell County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Howell County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Howell County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Howell County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
Howell County, MO Census Records
What Howell County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Howell County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Howell Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1860. Howell Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Howell Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Howell Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Howell County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Howell County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Howell County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Missouri residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Howell County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Missouri Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Howell County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 35 Court Square, West Plains, MO 65775
- Howell County Recorder of Deeds
- Phone: (417) 256-3750
- Marriage Records: 1867
- Land Records: 1866
- Howell County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk
- Phone: (417) 256-3741
- Probate Records: 1862
- Court & Divorce Records: 1857
- Howell County Clerk of the Court
- Phone: 417-256-2591
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-95
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 – 1969
- BLM Land Records
Howell County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Howell County, MO?
A list of Howell County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- South Central Missouri Genealogical Society, 9 Court Square, West Plains, MO 65775
- Ozarks Genealogical Society ; P.O. Box 3945, 534 West Catalpa, Springfield, MO 65808; Phone: (417) 831-2773
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Howell County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Missouri Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Howell County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Howell County
- Howell County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Howell County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Howell County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.