Barren County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Barren County, Kentucky Facts
Barren County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Barren County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Barren County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 – present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Barren County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
Barren County, KY Census Records
What Barren County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Barren County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Barren Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Barren Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Barren Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Barren Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Barren County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Barren County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Barren County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Kentucky residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Barren County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Barren County Clerk
- Address: 117 North Public Square Suite 1A, Glasgow, KY, 42141
- Phone: (270) 651-5200
- Marriage Records: 1799
- Land Records: 1798
- Probate Records: 1798
- Barren County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Address: Barren County Courthouse, 100 Courthouse Square, P.O. Box 1359, Glasgow, KY 42142-1359
- Phone: (270) 651-2561
- Court Records: 1798
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- Barren County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Barren County, Kentucky Wills, 1800-24
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Barren County USGenWeb Archives Project
Barren County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Barren County, KY?
A list of Barren County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- South Central Kentucky Historical and Genealogical Society, PO Box 157, Glasgow, KY 42142-0157; Serving Barren, Cumberland, Metcalfe & Monroe Counties.
- South Central KY Historical & Genealogical Society, P O Office Bos 157, Glasgow, KY 42142-0157 Meets 4th Thursday of each month except December, South Central KY Cultural Center, Glasgow, KY, 7 pm. Publication is “Traces”.
Where can I connect with other Barren County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Barren County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Barren County
- Barren County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KYBARREN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Barren County, Kentucky. To subscribe send “subscribe” to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- SOUTH-CENTRAL-KENTUCKY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the Kentucky counties of Allen, Barren, Cumberland, Edmonson, Green, Hardin, Hart, Logan, Metcalfe, Monroe, and Warren. As well as a place for the posting of queries, the list owner will post source data from these counties on a daily basis (as much as possible) including wills, vital statistics, and cemetery records. To subscribe send “subscribe” to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
What other genealogical resources are available in Barren County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Barren County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.