Wabash County, Indiana
Genealogy, History & Facts
Wabash County, Indiana Facts
When was Wabash County, IN Created?
Wabash County was established on March 1, 1835 from Adams New Purchase and Unorganized Land. This county was named for the Wabash River.
What cities and towns are in Wabash County, IN?
Cities and towns located in the County include La Fontaine, Lagro, Liberty Mills, North Manchester, Roann, Wabash.
What Townships are in Wabash County, IN?
Townships located in the County include Chester, Lagro, Liberty, Noble, Paw Paw, Pleasant, Waltz.
Wabash County, IN Vital Records
Where can find Wabash County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Wabash County vital records can be found at the Indiana Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Indiana for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Wabash County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Indiana Birth Certificate or Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Wabash County Department of Health, 89 West Hill Street, Wabash, IN 46992; Phone: (260) 563-0661 x 248 or 283; maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records. They have Birth & Death Records from 1899.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Indiana Marriage Project
- Indiana, Births and Christenings, 1773-1933
- Indiana Births, 1880-1920
- Indiana Marriage Records, Various Sources 1919 – 2001
- Indiana Marriages to 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages through 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages: 1993-2004
- Indiana, Marriages, 1780-1992
- Indiana Marriage Collection, 1800-1941
- Indiana, Marriages, 1811-1959
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920
- Indiana Deaths, 1882-1920
Wabash County, IN Census Records
What Wabash County, IN census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Adams County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Wabash Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wabash Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wabash Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Indiana Census Records Research Guide
Wabash County, IN Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Wabash County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Wabash County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Indiana Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Wabash County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Wabash County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court’s permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk’s Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Address: 69 W Hill St, Wabash, IN 46992
- Phone: (260) 563-0661
- Marriage Records: 1835
- Probate Records: 1847
- Court Records: ?
- Wabash County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Address: 1 W Hill St Ste 105, Wabash, IN 46992
- Phone: (260) 563-0661 ext: 253
- Land Records: 1835
- Wabash County Treasurer’s Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper’s tax.
- BLM Land Records
Wabash County, IN Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Wabash County, IN?
A list of Wabash County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Indiana Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Wabash County Historian, Ronald L. Woodward, 574 Ferry St., Wabash, IN 46992-2306, Home Phone: (260) 563-2794, [email protected]
- North Manchester Center for History, P.O. Box 361, North Manchester, IN 46962-0361; Phone: (260) 982-0672
- Wabash County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 825, Wabash, IN 46992-0825
- Wabash County Historical Society, P.O. Box 4, Wabash, IN 46992-0004
- Wabash Valley Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 9347, Terre Haute, IN 47808-9347; Phone: (812) 894-2404
- Wabash County Historical Museum, 36 E. Market St., Wabash, IN 46992-3124; Phone: (260) 563-9070
- Indiana State Archives, 6440 E. 30th St., Indianapolis, IN 46219; (317) 591-5222
- Indiana State Library, 140 North Senate Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46204-2296
- Indiana Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10507, Fort Wayne IN 46852
- Indiana Historical Society, 450 W. Ohio St, Indianapolis,IN 46202
Where can I connect with other Wabash County, IN Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Indiana Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Wabash County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Wabash County
- Wabash County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Wabash County, IN?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Wabash County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.