OTHER GENEALOGY RESOURCES
Huntington County, Indiana
Genealogy, History & Facts
County Vital Records ∣ County Census Records ∣ County Courthouse and Government Records ∣
County Societies, Family History Resources and County Genealogy Links
Huntington County, Indiana Facts
When was Huntington County, IN Created?
Huntington County was established on December 2, 1834 from Adams New Purchase and Unorganized Land. This county was named for Samuel Huntington, signer the Declaration of Independence.
What is the County Seat of Huntington County, IN?
The County Seat is located in Huntington also, the county government website is www.huntington.in.us/ .
What counties are adjacent to Huntington County, IN?
Bordering Counties are Whitley County, Allen County, Wells County, Grant County, Wabash County.
What cities and towns are in Huntington County, IN?
Cities and towns located in the County include Andrews, Banquo, Bippus, Goblesville, Huntington, Lancaster, Majenica, Markle, Mount Etna, Plum Tree, Indiana, Roanoke, Warren.
What Townships are in Huntington County, IN?
Townships located in the County include Clear Creek, Dallas, Huntington, Jackson, Jefferson, Lancaster, Polk, Rock Creek, Salamonie, Union, Warren, Wayne.
Huntington County, IN Vital Records
Where can find Huntington County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Huntington County vital records can be found at the Indiana Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Indiana for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Huntington County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Indiana Birth Certificate or Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Huntington County Department of Health, 354 N Jefferson St., Suite 201, Huntington, IN 46750; Phone: 260-358-4831 ; maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records. They have Birth & Death Records from 1882.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Indiana Marriage Project
- Indiana, Births and Christenings, 1773-1933
- Indiana Births, 1880-1920
- Indiana Marriage Records, Various Sources 1919 – 2001
- Indiana Marriages to 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages through 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages: 1993-2004
- Indiana, Marriages, 1780-1992
- Indiana Marriage Collection, 1800-1941
- Indiana, Marriages, 1811-1959
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920
- Indiana Deaths, 1882-1920
Huntington County, IN Census Records
What Huntington County, IN census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Adams County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Huntington Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Huntington Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Huntington Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Indiana Census Records Research Guide
Huntington County, IN Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Huntington County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Huntington County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Indiana Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk’s department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it’s up to the person to carry out the research.
- Huntington County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address:201 N. Jefferson St., Huntington, IN 46750
- Huntington County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court’s permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk’s Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: 260-358-4817
- Marriage Records: 1837
- Probate Records: 1841
- Court Records: ?
- Huntington County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Phone: 260-355-2312
- Land Records: 1834
- Huntington County Treasurer’s Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper’s tax.
- BLM Land Records
Huntington County, IN Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Huntington County, IN?
A list of Huntington County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Indiana Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Huntington County Historian, B. Joan Keefer, 255 W. Park Drive, Huntington, IN 46750; Home Phone: (260) 672-2332
- Huntington County Historical Society, 315 Court St., Huntington, IN 46750-2862; Phone: (260) 356-7264
- Indiana State Archives, 6440 E. 30th St., Indianapolis, IN 46219; (317) 591-5222
- Indiana State Library, 140 North Senate Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46204-2296
- Indiana Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10507, Fort Wayne IN 46852
- Indiana Historical Society, 450 W. Ohio St, Indianapolis,IN 46202
Where can I connect with other Huntington County, IN Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Indiana Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Huntington County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Huntington County
- Huntington County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Huntington County, IN?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Huntington County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Huntington Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of Indiana Links and Information
- Huntington County Township Map (stats.indiana.edu)
- 1895 Huntington County Map (livgenmi.com)
Huntington Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Indiana Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- Indiana historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from Indiana (1817 – 1930) (genealogybank.com)
- Huntington County, Indiana Books (amazon.com)
- Internet Archives online books for Huntington County (archive.org)
- Google online books for Huntington County (google.com)
- Indiana Newspaper Holdings for Huntington County (in.gov)
- SearchIndiana Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
Huntington Co. IN Cemeteries & Church Records
- Huntington Co., Indiana Graves (findagrave.com)
- Indiana Pioneer Cemeteries Restoration Project (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Huntington County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Huntington Co., Indiana Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Huntington Co., Indiana Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Huntington County, Indiana Church Books (amazon.com)
Huntington Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Create a Free Family Tree (ancestry.com)
- Nichols and Related Families (nicholsgenealogy.com)
- The Indiana Family Group Sheet Project (fgs-project.com)
Huntington Co. IN General and History Websites
- Huntington County, Indiana Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Historical sketch of Huntington County, Indiana (search.ancestry.com)
- Early Indiana History for Huntington County (countyhistory.com)
- Map of Huntington Co. Historical Markers (in.gov)
- Huntington County, Indiana Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Huntington Co. IN Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Huntington County, Indiana (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – Indiana – Counties – Huntington (cyndislist.com)
- Huntington County Indiana (genealogytrails.com)
- Huntington Co. INGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Huntington County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Huntington Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Huntington Co. IN Military Records
- Indiana Military Records Research Guide
- Indiana Military Records (fold3.com) offers easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Indiana both women and men which served. Perfect for Huntington County genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.
Huntington Co. IN Schools & Directories
- Huntington, Indiana Directory, 1897-98 (search.ancestry.com)