OTHER GENEALOGY RESOURCES
Grant County, Indiana
Genealogy, History & Facts
County Vital Records ∣ County Census Records ∣ County Courthouse and Government Records ∣
County Societies, Family History Resources and County Genealogy Links
Grant County, Indiana Facts
When was Grant County, IN Created?
Grant County was established on April 1, 1832 from Madison County, Adams New Purchase and Unorganized Land. This county was named for Captains Samuel and Moses Grant, former American soldiers and early settlers .
What is the County Seat of Grant County, IN?
The County Seat is located in Marion also, the county government website is www.grantcounty.net/ .
What counties are adjacent to Grant County, IN?
Bordering Counties are Huntington County, Wells County, Blackford County, Delaware County, Madison County, Tipton County, Howard County, Miami County, Wabash County.
What cities and towns are in Grant County, IN?
Cities and towns located in the County include Fairmount, Fowlerton, Gas City, Jonesboro, Marion, Matthews, Swayzee, Sweetser, Upland, Van Buren.
What Townships are in Grant County, IN?
Townships located in the County include Center, Fairmount, Franklin, Green, Jefferson, Liberty, Mill, Monroe, Pleasant, Richland, Sims, Van Buren, Washington.
Grant County, IN Vital Records
Where can find Grant County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Grant County vital records can be found at the Indiana Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Indiana for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Grant County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Indiana Birth Certificate or Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Grant County Department of Health, 401 S. Adams St., Marion, IN 46953-2031 ; Phone: 765-668-8871 ; maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records. They have Birth & Death Records from 1882.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Indiana Marriage Project
- Indiana, Births and Christenings, 1773-1933
- Indiana Births, 1880-1920
- Indiana Marriage Records, Various Sources 1919 – 2001
- Indiana Marriages to 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages through 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages: 1993-2004
- Indiana, Marriages, 1780-1992
- Indiana Marriage Collection, 1800-1941
- Indiana, Marriages, 1811-1959
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920
- Indiana Deaths, 1882-1920
Grant County, IN Census Records
What Grant County, IN census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Adams County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Grant Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Grant Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Grant Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Indiana Census Records Research Guide
Grant County, IN Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Grant County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Grant County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Indiana Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk’s department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it’s up to the person to carry out the research.
- Grant County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court’s permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk’s Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Address: 101 E 4th St, Marion, IN 46952
- Phone: (765) 668-8121
- Marriage Records: 1831
- Probate Records: 1831
- Court Records: 1831
- Grant County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Address: 401 S Adams St, Marion, IN 46953
- Phone: (765) 668-6559
- Land Records: 1831
- Grant County Treasurer’s Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper’s tax.
- BLM Land Records
Grant County, IN Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Grant County, IN?
A list of Grant County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Indiana Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Grant County Historian, William F. Munn, 800 W. Euclid Ave., Marion, IN 46952-3489; Home Phone: (765) 662-3753
- Grant County Historical Society, P.O. Box 1951, Marion, IN 46952-8351; Phone: (765) 664-6520
- Grant County Genealogy Club, 1429 W. 11th St., Marion, IN 46952
- Gas City Historical Society, P.O. Box 192, Gas City, IN 46933-0192; Phone: (765) 674-1892
- Jonesboro Historical Society, P.O. Box 195, Jonesboro, IN 46938-0195
- Matthews Covered Bridge Historical Society, P.O. Box 153, Matthews, IN 46957-0153
- Mississinewa Battlefield Society, P.O. Box 1812, Marion, IN 46952-8212; Phone: (765) 662-1809
- Upland Area Historical Society, P.O. Box 577, Upland, IN 46989-0577
- Indiana State Archives, 6440 E. 30th St., Indianapolis, IN 46219; (317) 591-5222
- Indiana State Library, 140 North Senate Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46204-2296
- Indiana Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10507, Fort Wayne IN 46852
- Indiana Historical Society, 450 W. Ohio St, Indianapolis,IN 46202
Where can I connect with other Grant County, IN Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Indiana Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Grant County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Grant County
- Grant County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Grant County, IN?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Grant County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Grant Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of Indiana Links and Information
- Grant County Township Map (stats.indiana.edu)
- 1895 Grant County Map (livgenmi.com)
Grant Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Indiana Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- Indiana historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from Indiana (1817 – 1930) (genealogybank.com)
- Grant County, Indiana Books (amazon.com)
- Internet Archives online books for Grant County (archive.org)
- Google online books for Grant County (google.com)
- Indiana Newspaper Holdings for Grant County (in.gov)
- SearchIndiana Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
Grant Co. IN Cemeteries & Church Records
- Grant Co., Indiana Graves (findagrave.com)
- Indiana Pioneer Cemeteries Restoration Project (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Grant County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Grant Co., Indiana Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Grant Co., Indiana Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Grant County, Indiana Church Books (amazon.com)
Grant Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Create a Free Family Tree (ancestry.com)
- Nichols and Related Families (nicholsgenealogy.com)
- The Indiana Family Group Sheet Project (fgs-project.com)
Grant Co. IN General and History Websites
- Grant County, Indiana Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Early Indiana History for Grant County (countyhistory.com)
- Map of Grant Co. Historical Markers (in.gov)
- Grant County, Indiana Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Grant Co. IN Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Grant County, Indiana (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – Indiana – Counties – Grant (cyndislist.com)
- Grant County Indiana (genealogytrails.com)
- Grant Co. INGenweb (ingenweb.org)
- Grant County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Grant Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Grant Co. IN Military Records
- Indiana Military Records Research Guide
- Indiana Military Records (fold3.com) offers easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Indiana both women and men which served. Perfect for Grant County genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.
Grant Co. IN Schools & Directories
- Grant County, Indiana Directory, 1901-1902 (search.ancestry.com)