Parke County, Indiana
Genealogy, History & Facts
Parke County, Indiana Facts
When was Parke County, IN Created?
Parke County was established on April 2, 1821 (effective April 2, 1821) from Vigo County, Unorganized Land and Wabash New Purchase. This county was named for Benjamin Parke, a delegate of Indiana Territory to the U.S. Congress.
What cities and towns are in Parke County, IN?
Cities and towns located in the County include Rockville, Bloomingdale, Marshall, Mecca, Montezuma, Rosedale.
What Townships are in Parke County, IN?
Townships located in the County include Adams, Florida, Greene, Howard, Jackson, Liberty, Penn, Raccoon, Reserve, Sugar Creek, Union, Wabash, Washington.
Parke County, IN Vital Records
Where can find Parke County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Parke County vital records can be found at the Indiana Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Indiana for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Parke County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Indiana Birth Certificate or Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Parke County Department of Health ; Phone: 765-569-6665 ; maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records. They have Birth & Death Records from 1882.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Indiana Marriage Project
- Indiana, Births and Christenings, 1773-1933
- Indiana Births, 1880-1920
- Indiana Marriage Records, Various Sources 1919 – 2001
- Indiana Marriages to 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages through 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages: 1993-2004
- Indiana, Marriages, 1780-1992
- Indiana Marriage Collection, 1800-1941
- Indiana, Marriages, 1811-1959
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920
- Indiana Deaths, 1882-1920
Parke County, IN Census Records
What Parke County, IN census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Adams County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Parke Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Parke Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Parke Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Indiana Census Records Research Guide
Parke County, IN Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Parke County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Parke County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Indiana Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Parke County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 116 West High Street, Rockville, IN 47872
- Parke County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court’s permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk’s Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: (765) 569-5132
- Marriage Records: 1829
- Probate Records: 1833
- Court Records: 1833
- Parke County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Phone: (765) 569 – 3419
- Land Records: 1816
- Parke County Treasurer’s Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper’s tax.
- BLM Land Records
Parke County, IN Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Parke County, IN?
A list of Parke County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Indiana Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Parke County Historian, Randall Wright, 418 N. College St., Rockville, IN 47872-1509; Home Phone: (765) 569-5127
- Parke County Historical Society and Museum, P.O. Box 332, Rockville, IN 47872-0332; Phone: (765) 569-2223
- Indiana State Archives, 6440 E. 30th St., Indianapolis, IN 46219; (317) 591-5222
- Indiana State Library, 140 North Senate Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46204-2296
- Indiana Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10507, Fort Wayne IN 46852
- Indiana Historical Society, 450 W. Ohio St, Indianapolis,IN 46202
Where can I connect with other Parke County, IN Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Indiana Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Parke County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Parke County
- Parke County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Parke County, IN?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Parke County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.