Montgomery County, Indiana
Genealogy, History & Facts
Montgomery County, Indiana Facts
When was Montgomery County, IN Created?
Montgomery County was established on March 1, 1823 from Wabash New Purchase. This county was named for Gen. Richard Montgomery, hero of the American Revolutionary War.
What is the County Seat of Montgomery County, IN?
The County Seat is located in Crawfordsville also, the county government website is www.montgomeryco.net/ .
What counties are adjacent to Montgomery County, IN?
Bordering Counties are Tippecanoe County, Clinton County, Boone County, Hendricks County, Putnam County, Parke County, Fountain County.
What cities and towns are in Montgomery County, IN?
Cities and towns located in the County include Alamo, Crawfordsville, Darlington, Ladoga, Linden, New Market, New Richmond, New Ross, Waveland, Waynetown, Wingate.
What Townships are in Montgomery County, IN?
Townships located in the County include Brown, Clark, Coal Creek, Franklin, Madison, Ripley, Scott, Sugar Creek, Union, Walnut, Wayne.
Montgomery County, IN Vital Records
Where can find Montgomery County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Montgomery County vital records can be found at the Indiana Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Indiana for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Montgomery County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Indiana Birth Certificate or Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Montgomery County Department of Health, 110 W. South Blvd, Ste D, Crawfordville, IN 47933 ; Phone: 765-364-6440 ; maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records. They have Birth & Death Records from 1882.
- Montgomery County, Indiana Index to Birth Records, 1882-1920
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Indiana Marriage Project
- Indiana, Births and Christenings, 1773-1933
- Indiana Births, 1880-1920
- Indiana Marriage Records, Various Sources 1919 – 2001
- Indiana Marriages to 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages through 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages: 1993-2004
- Indiana, Marriages, 1780-1992
- Indiana Marriage Collection, 1800-1941
- Indiana, Marriages, 1811-1959
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920
- Indiana Deaths, 1882-1920
Montgomery County, IN Census Records
What Montgomery County, IN census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Adams County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Montgomery Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Montgomery Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Montgomery Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Indiana Census Records Research Guide
Montgomery County, IN Courthouse and Government Records
Montgomery County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Montgomery County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Montgomery County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Indiana Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Montgomery County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 East Main Street, Crawfordsville, IN 47933
- Montgomery County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: 765-364-6430
- Marriage Records: 1823
- Probate Records: 1822
- Court Records: ?
- Montgomery County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Phone: 765-364-6415
- Land Records: 1821
- Montgomery County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- BLM Land Records
Montgomery County, IN Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Montgomery County, IN?
A list of Montgomery County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Indiana Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Montgomery County Historian, Joann Spragg, 2205 S. 830 W., Waynetown, IN 47990-8177; Phone: (765) 866-0154
- Montgomery County Historical Society, P.O. Box 127, Crawfordsville, IN 47933-0127; Phone: (765) 362-3416
- Crawfordsville District Public Library - Local History & Genealogy, 205 S. Washington St., Crawfordsvlle, IN 47933-2445; Phone: (765) 362-2242
- Linden-Madison Township Historical Society, P.O. Box 154, Linden, IN 47955-0154; Phone: (765) 339-7245
- Indiana State Archives, 6440 E. 30th St., Indianapolis, IN 46219; (317) 591-5222
- Indiana State Library, 140 North Senate Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46204-2296
- Indiana Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10507, Fort Wayne IN 46852
- Indiana Historical Society, 450 W. Ohio St, Indianapolis,IN 46202
Where can I connect with other Montgomery County, IN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Montgomery County, IN?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Montgomery County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Montgomery Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Montgomery Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Montgomery Co. IN Cemeteries & Church Records
Montgomery Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Montgomery Co. IN General and History Websites
- Montgomery County, Indiana Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of Montgomery County, Indiana : with personal sketches of representative citizens. (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Fountain County : together with historic notes on the Wabash Valley, gleaned from early authors, old maps and manusc (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Montgomery County : together with historic notes on the Wabash Valley, gleaned from early authors, old maps and manu (search.ancestry.com)
- Portrait and biographical record of Montgomery, Parke and Fountain Counties, Indiana : containing biographical sketches of prom (search.ancestry.com)
- Early days in a college town : and Wabash College in early days and now, with autobiographical reminiscences (search.ancestry.com)
- Early Indiana History for Montgomery County (countyhistory.com)
- Map of Montgomery Co. Historical Markers (in.gov)
- Montgomery County, Indiana Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Montgomery Co. IN Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Montgomery County, Indiana (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Indiana - Counties - Montgomery (cyndislist.com)
- Montgomery County Indiana (genealogytrails.com)
- Montgomery Co. INGenweb (ingenweb.org)
- Montgomery County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Montgomery Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Montgomery Co. IN Military Records
Montgomery Co. IN Schools & Directories