Lawrence County, Indiana
Genealogy, History & Facts
Lawrence County, Indiana Facts
When was Lawrence County, IN Created?
Lawrence County was established on March 1, 1818 from Orange County. This county was named for Capt. James Lawrence, hero of the War of 1812.
What is the County Seat of Lawrence County, IN?
The County Seat is located in Bedford also, the county government website is www.bedfordonline.com .
What counties are adjacent to Lawrence County, IN?
Bordering Counties are Monroe County, Jackson County, Washington County, Orange County, Martin County, Greene County.
What cities and towns are in Lawrence County, IN?
Cities and towns located in the County include Bedford, Mitchell, Oolitic.
What Townships are in Lawrence County, IN?
Townships located in the County include Bono, Guthrie, Indian Creek, Marion, Marshall, Perry, Pleasant Run, Shawswick, Spice Valley.
Lawrence County, IN Vital Records
Where can find Lawrence County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Lawrence County vital records can be found at the Indiana Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Indiana for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Lawrence County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Indiana Birth Certificate or Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Lawrence County Department of Health, 2419 Mitchell Rd., Bedford, IN 47421-4731; Phone: 812-275-3234; maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records. They have Birth & Death Records from 1882.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Indiana Marriage Project
- Indiana, Births and Christenings, 1773-1933
- Indiana Births, 1880-1920
- Indiana Marriage Records, Various Sources 1919 – 2001
- Indiana Marriages to 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages through 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages: 1993-2004
- Indiana, Marriages, 1780-1992
- Indiana Marriage Collection, 1800-1941
- Indiana, Marriages, 1811-1959
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920
- Indiana Deaths, 1882-1920
Lawrence County, IN Census Records
What Lawrence County, IN census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Adams County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Lawrence Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lawrence Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lawrence Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Indiana Census Records Research Guide
Lawrence County, IN Courthouse and Government Records
Lawrence County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Lawrence County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Lawrence County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Indiana Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Lawrence County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 916 15th and E, Bedford 47421
- Lawrence County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: 812-275-7543
- Marriage Records: 1818
- Probate Records: 1818
- Court Records: 1818
- Lawrence County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Phone: 812-275-3245
- Land Records: 1819
- Lawrence County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- BLM Land Records
Lawrence County, IN Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Lawrence County, IN?
A list of Lawrence County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Indiana Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Lawrence County Historian, Ronald E. Bell, 100 20th St., Bedford, IN 47421-4430; Home Phone: (812) 275-6681
- Lawrence County Museum of History & Edward L. Hutton Research Library, 929 15th St., Bedford, IN 47421-3813; Phone: (812) 278-8575
- Lawrence County Railroad Historical Society, 1420 I St., Bedford, IN 47421-3324
- Indiana State Archives, 6440 E. 30th St., Indianapolis, IN 46219; (317) 591-5222
- Indiana State Library, 140 North Senate Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46204-2296
- Indiana Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10507, Fort Wayne IN 46852
- Indiana Historical Society, 450 W. Ohio St, Indianapolis,IN 46202
Where can I connect with other Lawrence County, IN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Lawrence County, IN?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Lawrence County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Lawrence Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lawrence Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lawrence Co. IN Cemeteries & Church Records
Lawrence Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Lawrence Co. IN General and History Websites
Lawrence Co. IN Military Records
Lawrence Co. IN Schools & Directories