Washington County, Indiana
Genealogy, History & Facts
Washington County, Indiana Facts
When was Washington County, IN Created?
Washington County was established on December 21, 1813 from Clark County and Harrison County (became effective January 17, 1814). This county was named for U.S. President George Washington.
What cities and towns are in Washington County, IN?
Cities and towns located in the County include Campbellsburg, Fredericksburg, Hardinsburg, Little York, Livonia, New Pekin, Pekin, Salem, Saltillo.
What Townships are in Washington County, IN?
Townships located in the County include Brown, Franklin, Gibson, Howard, Jackson, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, Pierce, Polk, Posey, Vernon, Washington.
Washington County, IN Vital Records
Where can find Washington County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Washington County vital records can be found at the Indiana Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Indiana for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Washington County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Indiana Birth Certificate or Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Washington County Department of Health, 806 Martinsburg Rd., Ste 100, Salem, IN 47167; Phone: 812-883-5603 ; maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records. They have Birth & Death Records from 1882.
- Orena V. Grant genealogical collection (marriages and cemetery records)
- Washington County, Indiana Index to Death Records, 1882-1920
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Indiana Marriage Project
- Indiana, Births and Christenings, 1773-1933
- Indiana Births, 1880-1920
- Indiana Marriage Records, Various Sources 1919 – 2001
- Indiana Marriages to 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages through 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages: 1993-2004
- Indiana, Marriages, 1780-1992
- Indiana Marriage Collection, 1800-1941
- Indiana, Marriages, 1811-1959
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920
- Indiana Deaths, 1882-1920
Washington County, IN Census Records
What Washington County, IN census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Adams County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Washington Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Washington Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Washington Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Indiana Census Records Research Guide
Washington County, IN Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Washington County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Washington County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Indiana Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Washington County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 99 Public Square, Salem, IN 47167
- Washington County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court’s permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk’s Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: 812-883-5748
- Marriage Records: 1815
- Probate Records: 1814
- Court Records: 1814
- Washington County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Phone: 812-883-4001
- Land Records: 1814
- Washington County Treasurer’s Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper’s tax.
- BLM Land Records
Washington County, IN Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Washington County, IN?
A list of Washington County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Indiana Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Washington County Historian, Cecil J. Smith, 505 N. Water St., Salem, IN 47167; Phone: (812) 883-2891
- Washington County Historical Society, 307 E. Market St., Salem, IN 47167-2119; Phone: (812) 883-6495
- Pekin Historical Society, 5260 S. State Road 60, Pekin, IN 47165-7222
- Southern Indiana Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 665, New Albany, IN 47151-0665
- Indiana State Archives, 6440 E. 30th St., Indianapolis, IN 46219; (317) 591-5222
- Indiana State Library, 140 North Senate Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46204-2296
- Indiana Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10507, Fort Wayne IN 46852
- Indiana Historical Society, 450 W. Ohio St, Indianapolis,IN 46202
Where can I connect with other Washington County, IN Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Indiana Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Washington County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Washington County
- Washington County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Washington County, IN?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Washington County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.