Lake County, Indiana
Genealogy, History & Facts
Lake County, Indiana Facts
What counties are adjacent to Lake County, IN?
Bordering Counties are Cook County, Illinois (west and north, in Lake Michigan), Porter County, Jasper County, Newton County, Kankakee County, Illinois, Will County, Illinois.
What cities and towns are in Lake County, IN?
Cities and towns located in the County include Crown Point, East Chicago, Gary, Hammond, Hobart, Lake Station, Whiting, Cedar Lake, Dyer, Griffith, Highland, Lowell, Merrillville, Munster, New Chicago, Schererville, Schneider, St. John , Winfield .
What Townships are in Lake County, IN?
Townships located in the County include Calumet, Cedar Creek, Center, Eagle Creek, Hanover, Hobart, North, Ross, St. John, West Creek, Winfield.
Lake County, IN Vital Records
Where can find Lake County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Lake County vital records can be found at the Indiana Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Indiana for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Lake County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Indiana Birth Certificate or Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Lake County Department of Health; Phone: 219-755-3655 ; maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records. They have Birth & Death Records from 1882.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Indiana Marriage Project
- Indiana, Births and Christenings, 1773-1933
- Indiana Births, 1880-1920
- Indiana Marriage Records, Various Sources 1919 – 2001
- Indiana Marriages to 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages through 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages: 1993-2004
- Indiana, Marriages, 1780-1992
- Indiana Marriage Collection, 1800-1941
- Indiana, Marriages, 1811-1959
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920
- Indiana Deaths, 1882-1920
Lake County, IN Census Records
What Lake County, IN census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Adams County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Lake Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lake Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lake Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Indiana Census Records Research Guide
Lake County, IN Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Lake County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Lake County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Indiana Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Lake County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 2293 N Main Street, Crown Point 46307
- Lake County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court’s permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk’s Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: 219-755-3465
- Marriage Records: 1837
- Probate Records: 1837
- Court Records: 1837
- Lake County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Phone: 219-755-3730
- Land Records: 1837
- Lake County Treasurer’s Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper’s tax.
- BLM Land Records
Lake County, IN Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Lake County, IN?
A list of Lake County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Indiana Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Lake County Historian, Bruce L. Woods, LCHS, Courthouse Square, Suite 202, Crown Point, IN 46307; Work Phone: (219) 662-3975
- Lake County Historical Society and Museum, Courthouse Square, Suite 202, Crown Point, IN 46307; Phone: (219) 662-3975
- Northwest Indiana Genealogical Society, PO BOX 595, GRIFFITH , IN 46319
- Buckley Homestead County Park, 3606 Belshaw Road, Lowell, IN 46356-9536; Phone: (219) 696-0769
- Dyer Historical Society, 1 Town Sq, Dyer, IN 46311-1719; Phone: (219) 865-6108
- East Chicago Historical Society, 2401 E. Columbus Drive, East Chicago, IN 46312-2936; Phone: (219) 397-2453
- Gary Historical & Cultural Society, P.O. Box 64-603, Gary, IN 46401; Phone: (219) 886-1812
- Griffith Historical Society, P.O. Box 678, Griffith, IN 46319-0678; Phone: (219) 924-9701
- Hammond Historical Society, 564 State St., Hammond, IN 46320-1532; Phone: (219) 931-5100
- Hammond Public Library, 564 State St., Hammond, IN 46320-1532; Phone: (219) 931-5100
- Hessville Historical Society, 7205 Kennedy Ave., Hammond, IN 46323-2228
- Highland Historical Society, 2450 Lincoln St., Highland, IN 46322-1822; Phone: (219) 838-7861
- Hobart Historical Society, P.O. Box 24, Hobart, IN 46342-0024; Phone: (219) 942-0970
- Lake of the Red Cedars Museum, P.O. Box 421, Cedar Lake, IN 46303-0421; Phone: (219) 374-7434
- Lake Station Historical Society, 2400 Central Ave., Lake Station, IN 46405; Phone: (219) 962-4163
- Merrillville-Ross Township Historical Society, 13 W. 73rd Ave., Merrillville, IN 46410-3801; Phone: (219) 756-2042
- Munster Historical Society, 1005 Ridge Road, Munster, IN 46321-1849; Phone: (219) 836-6930
- Schererville Historical Society, 10 E. Joliet St., Schererville, IN 46375-2011; Phone: (219) 322-1699
- South Lake County Agricultural Historical Society, P.O. Box 847, Crown Point, IN 46308-0847
- Three Creeks Historical Association, 1505 E. Commercial Ave., Lowell, IN 46356-2107; Phone: (219) 696-9336
- Whiting-Robertsdale Historical Society, 1610 119th St., Whiting, IN 46394-1702; Phone: (219) 659-1432
- Indiana State Archives, 6440 E. 30th St., Indianapolis, IN 46219; (317) 591-5222
- Indiana State Library, 140 North Senate Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46204-2296
- Indiana Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10507, Fort Wayne IN 46852
- Indiana Historical Society, 450 W. Ohio St, Indianapolis,IN 46202
Where can I connect with other Lake County, IN Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Indiana Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Lake County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Lake County
- Lake County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Lake County, IN?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Lake County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.