Porter County, Indiana
Genealogy, History & Facts
Porter County, Indiana Facts
When was Porter County, IN Created?
Porter County was established on February 1, 1836 from unorganized lands . This county was named for Capt. David Porter, hero of the War of 1812.
What is the County Seat of Porter County, IN?
The County Seat is located in Valparaiso also, the county government website is www2.porterco.org/ .
What counties are adjacent to Porter County, IN?
Bordering Counties are LaPorte County, Starke County, Jasper County, Lake County.
What cities and towns are in Porter County, IN?
Cities and towns located in the County include Portage, Valparaiso, Beverly Shores, Burns Harbor, Chesterton, Dune Acres, Hebron, Kouts, Ogden Dunes, Porter, Town of Pines.
What Townships are in Porter County, IN?
Townships located in the County include Boone, Center, Jackson, Liberty, Morgan, Pine, Pleasant, Portage, Porter, Union, Washington, Westchester.
Porter County, IN Vital Records
Where can find Porter County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Porter County vital records can be found at the Indiana Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Indiana for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Porter County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Indiana Birth Certificate or Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Porter County Department of Health, 155 Indiana Ave., Rm 104, Valparaiso, IN 46383-5502 ; Phone: 219-465-3525 ; maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records. They have Birth & Death Records from 1884.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Indiana Marriage Project
- Indiana, Births and Christenings, 1773-1933
- Indiana Births, 1880-1920
- Indiana Marriage Records, Various Sources 1919 – 2001
- Indiana Marriages to 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages through 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages: 1993-2004
- Indiana, Marriages, 1780-1992
- Indiana Marriage Collection, 1800-1941
- Indiana, Marriages, 1811-1959
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920
- Indiana Deaths, 1882-1920
Porter County, IN Census Records
What Porter County, IN census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Adams County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Porter Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Porter Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Porter Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Indiana Census Records Research Guide
Porter County, IN Courthouse and Government Records
Porter County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Porter County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Porter County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Indiana Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Courthouse destroyed by Fire in Dec. 1934, All records saved.
- Porter County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Porter County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Address: 16 Lincolnway, Suite 209, Valparaiso, Indiana 46383
- Phone: (219) 465-3450
- Marriage Records: 1836
- Probate Records: 1839
- Court Records: ?
- Porter County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Address: 155 Indiana Avenue, Suite 210, Valparaiso, Indiana 46383
- Phone: (219) 465-3465
- Land Records: 1833
- Porter County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- BLM Land Records
Porter County, IN Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Porter County, IN?
A list of Porter County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Indiana Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Porter County Historian, Larry Clark, 107 Jefferson St., Valparaiso, IN 46383-4820, Home Phone: (219) 462-2780
- Beverly Shores Historical Society, P.O. Box 242, Beverly Shrs, IN 46301-0242; Phone: (219) 874-8000
- Duneland Historical Society, P.O. Box 2034, Chesterton, IN 46304; Phone: (219) 921-0963
- Hebron Historical Society, P.O. Box 679, Hebron, IN 46341-0679; Phone: (219) 996-3192
- Historical Society of Ogden Dunes, 115 Hillcrest Road Suite 101, Portage, IN 46368-8503; Phone: (219) 764-7526
- Historical Society of Porter County, 153 Franklin St., Valparaiso, IN 46383-5631; Phone: (219) 465-3595
- Kankakee Valley Historical Society, 22 W. 1050 S., Kouts, IN 46347
- Portage Community Historical Society, P.O. Box 305, Portage, IN 46368-0305; Phone: (219) 762-8349
- Westchester Township History Museum, 700 W. Porter Ave.., Chesterton, IN 46304; Phone: (219) 983-9715
- Indiana State Archives, 6440 E. 30th St., Indianapolis, IN 46219; (317) 591-5222
- Indiana State Library, 140 North Senate Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46204-2296
- Indiana Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10507, Fort Wayne IN 46852
- Indiana Historical Society, 450 W. Ohio St, Indianapolis,IN 46202
Where can I connect with other Porter County, IN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Porter County, IN?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Porter County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Porter Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Porter Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Porter Co. IN Cemeteries & Church Records
Porter Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Porter Co. IN General and History Websites
Porter Co. IN Military Records
Porter Co. IN Schools & Directories