Newton County, Indiana
Genealogy, History & Facts
Newton County, Indiana Facts
When was Newton County, IN Created?
Newton County was established on December 9, 1859 from Jasper County. This county was named for Sgt. John Newton, hero of the American Revolutionary War.
What is the County Seat of Newton County, IN?
The County Seat is located in Kentland also, the county government website is www.newtoncountyin.com/ .
What counties are adjacent to Newton County, IN?
Bordering Counties are Lake County, Jasper County, Benton County, Iroquois County, Illinois, Kankakee County, Illinois.
What cities and towns are in Newton County, IN?
Cities and towns located in the County include Brook, Goodland, Kentland, Morocco, Mount Ayr.
What Townships are in Newton County, IN?
Townships located in the County include Beaver, Colfax, Grant, Iroquois, Jackson, Jefferson, Lake, Lincoln, McClellan, Washington.
Newton County, IN Vital Records
Where can find Newton County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Newton County vital records can be found at the Indiana Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Indiana for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Newton County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Indiana Birth Certificate or Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Newton County Department of Health, 4117 South 240 West, Ste 500, Morocco, IN 47963 ; Phone: 219-285-2052 ; maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records. They have Birth & Death Records from 1882.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Indiana Marriage Project
- Indiana, Births and Christenings, 1773-1933
- Indiana Births, 1880-1920
- Indiana Marriage Records, Various Sources 1919 – 2001
- Indiana Marriages to 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages through 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages: 1993-2004
- Indiana, Marriages, 1780-1992
- Indiana Marriage Collection, 1800-1941
- Indiana, Marriages, 1811-1959
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920
- Indiana Deaths, 1882-1920
Newton County, IN Census Records
What Newton County, IN census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Adams County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Newton Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Newton Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Newton Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Indiana Census Records Research Guide
Newton County, IN Courthouse and Government Records
Newton County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Newton County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Newton County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Indiana Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Newton County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: One Courthouse Square, Kentland IN 47951
- Newton County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: (219) 474-6081
- Marriage Records: 1860
- Probate Records: 1860
- Court Records: 1860
- Newton County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Phone: 219-474-6081
- Land Records: 1838
- Newton County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- BLM Land Records
Newton County, IN Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Newton County, IN?
A list of Newton County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Indiana Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Newton County Historian, Donna LaCosse, P.O. Box 86, Morocco, IN 47963-0086; Home Phone: (219) 285-2861
- Newton County Historical Society, P.O. Box 303, Kentland, IN 47951-0303; Phone: (219) 474-6944
- Beaver Lake Museum and Two Rivers Reference Library, P.O. Box 315, Morocco, IN 47963-0315; Phone: (219) 285-2367
- Indiana State Archives, 6440 E. 30th St., Indianapolis, IN 46219; (317) 591-5222
- Indiana State Library, 140 North Senate Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46204-2296
- Indiana Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10507, Fort Wayne IN 46852
- Indiana Historical Society, 450 W. Ohio St, Indianapolis,IN 46202
Where can I connect with other Newton County, IN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Newton County, IN?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Newton County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Newton Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Newton Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Newton Co. IN Cemeteries & Church Records
Newton Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Newton Co. IN General and History Websites
Newton Co. IN Military Records