Charlton County, Georgia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Charlton County, Georgia Facts
When was Charlton County, GA Created?
Charlton County was established on February 18, 1854 from Camden County.
What is the County Seat of Charlton County, GA?
The County Seat is located in Folkston and in the current county government website is ?
Charlton County, GA Vital Records
Where can find Charlton County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Charlton County vital records can be found at the Georgia Department of Health which has copies for copies of birth and death records since Jan 1919, copies of marriage since June 9, 1952 to 1996 and a Divorce records index since June 9, 1952. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Georgia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Charlton County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Charlton Co. Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Charlton County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait. Contact the Clerk of Superior Court for Divorce Records and the Probate Judge for Marriage Records.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Georgia Marriage Project
- Georgia, Births and Christenings, 1754-1960
- Marriage Records from Microfilm
- Georgia Marriages, 1699-1944
- Georgia Marriages to 1850
- Georgia Marriages, 1851-1900
- Georgia, Marriages, 1808-1967
- Georgia Death Certificates, 1919-1927
- Georgia Non-Indexed Death Certificates, 1928-1930
- Georgia Deaths, 1914-1927
- Georgia Deaths, 1928-1930
- Georgia, Death Index, 1933-1998
- Georgia Deaths, 1919-98
- Georgia, Deaths Index, 1914-1927
Charlton County, GA Census Records
What Charlton County, GA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Charlton County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Charlton County Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1860. Charlton County Mortality Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Charlton County Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Charlton County Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
Charlton County, GA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Charlton County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Charlton County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Georgia courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Georgia residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Charlton County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Georgia Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Charlton County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 Third Street, Folkston, Georgia, 31537
- Phone: (912) 496-2549
- A Look at the History of Charlton Co. Courthouse in Georgia
- Charlton County Clerk of Superior Court
- Phone: (912) 496-2354
- Land Records: 1878
- Court Records: 1879
- Charlton County Clerk of Probate Court
- Phone: 912 -496- 2230
- Marriage Records: 1854
- Probate Records: 1878
- Georgia, Wills and Probate Records, 1742-1992
- County Tax Digests
- County Records Microfilm Index
- Inventory of the county archives of Georgia
- BLM Land Records
Charlton County, GA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Charlton County, GA?
A list of Charlton County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Georgia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies.
- Savannah Area Genealogical Society, PO Box 15385,Savannah, Georgia 31416
- Georgia State Archives – 5800 Jonesboro Road, Morrow, GA 30260; 678.364.3700
- Georgia Historical Society, 501 Whitaker Street, Savannah, GA 31401
- Georgia Genealogical Society , P.O. Box 54574, Atlanta, Georgia 30308-0575
Where can I connect with other Charlton County, GA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Georgia Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Georgia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Charlton County, Georgia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Charlton County
- Charlton County, Georgia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Charlton County, GA?
The following links to Genealogy Resources associated to Charlton County. These links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.