OTHER GENEALOGY RESOURCES
Macon County, Alabama
Genealogy, History & Facts
County Vital Records ∣ County Census Records ∣ County Courthouse and Government Records ∣
County Societies, Family History Resources and County Genealogy Links
Macon County, Alabama Facts
When was Macon County, AL Created?
Macon County was created on Dec. 18, 1832, from territory acquired from the last cession of the Creek Indians, Mar. 24, 1832. Macon County received its present dimensions in 1866.
What is the County Seat of Macon County, AL?
The County Seat is located in Tuskegee, which means “warrior” in the Muskhogean dialect of the Creek Indian language and in addition the county government website is http://www.alabama.gov/
What counties are adjacent to Macon County, AL?
Bordering Counties are Tallapoosa County, Lee County, Russell County, Bullock County, Montgomery County, Elmore County.
Macon County, AL Vital Records
Where can find Macon County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Macon County vital records can be found at the Alabama Department of Public Health which has Birth And Death Records from 1908, Marriages from 1936 and Divorce Records from 1950. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Alabama for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Macon County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Certificates to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Macon County Health Department has Birth Records from 1928 , Death records from 1928 .
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Alabama, Birth Records and Christenings, 1881-1930
- USGenweb Archives Alabama Marriage Project
- Alabama, County Marriage Records, 1809-1950
- Alabama, Death Records and Burials, 1881-1952
- Alabama, Death Records, 1908-1974
- Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957
- Alabama Marriage Records, 1800-1969 Database
- Alabama Marriage Records to 1825
- Alabama Death Records, 1908-59
Macon County, AL Census Records
What Macon County, AL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Macon County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Macon Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Macon Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Macon Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Macon Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are Alabama State censuses from 1820-1866. Also two Alabama Census of Confederate Soldiers for 1907 and 1921. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Alabama Census Records Research Guide
Macon County, AL Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Macon County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Macon County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Alabama courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Alabama residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Macon County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Alabama Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Macon County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Address: 101 E. Northside St., Suite 101, Tuskagee, AL 36083-1712
- Phone: (334) 724-2611
- Court Records: 1828
- Divorce Records:
- Macon County Clerk of Probate Court
- Address: 101 East Northside Street, Tuskegee, AL 36083-1750
- Phone: (334) 727-1800.
- Marriage Records: 1832 (Marriages issued prior to 1936)
- Probate Records: 1824
- Land Records: 1832
- Alabama, Homestead and Cash Entry Patents, Pre-1908
- Index to Alabama Wills, 1808-1870
- Alabama, Convict Records, 1886-1952
- Alabama, Voter Registration Records, 1867
- Macon County USGenWeb Archives Project
- BLM Land Records
Macon County, AL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Macon County, AL?
A list of Macon County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Alabama Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Macon County Genealogical Society, c/o Tuskegee Public Library, 302 S. Main St., Tuskegee, AL 36083
- Tuskegee Public Library, 334-727-5192
- Macon County Archives, 210 North Elm St., Tuskegee, AL 35611; 334-724-2619
- Genealogical Society of East Alabama
- ALMACON. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Macon County, Alabama. Interested individuals may want to check out the Macon County ALGenWeb page. To subscribe send “subscribe” to [email protected] (mail mode) or [email protected] (digest mode).
- Alabama Genealogical Society, c/o Samford University Library, AGS Depository and Headquarters, 800 Lakeshore Drive, P.O. Box 2296, Birmingham, AL 35229-0001
- Alabama Department of Archives & History, 624 Washington Avenue, Montgomery, Alabama 36130-0100; Phone: (334) 242-4435
Where can I connect with other Macon County, AL Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Alabama Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Alabama State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Macon County, Alabama Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Macon County
- Macon County, Alabama Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Macon County, AL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Macon County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Macon Co. AL Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Alabama Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- Alabama historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from Alabama (genealogybank.com)
- Macon County, Alabama Books (amazon.com)
- Macon County Newspapers (usgwarchives.net)
- Macon County Obituaries (usgwarchives.net)
- Macon County Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Macon Co. AL Cemeteries & Church Records
- Alabama Cemetery Research Guide
- Macon County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Macon Co., Alabama Graves (findagrave.com)
- Macon Co., Alabama Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Macon County Cemetery Records
- Macon Co., Alabama Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Macon County Church Records
- Autauga County Bible Records
- Macon County, Alabama Church Books (amazon.com)
Macon Co. AL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Create a Free Family Tree (ancestry.com)
- Macon County Biographies (usgwarchives.net)
- Macon County Pictures (usgwarchives.net)
Macon Co. AL General and History Websites
- Macon County Alabama (genealogytrails.com)
- Macon County, Alabama Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Macon Co. ALGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Macon Co. AL Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Macon County History (usgwarchives.net)
- Macon County – American History and Genealogy Project (usgennet.org)
- Macon County, Alabama (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – Alabama – Counties – Macon (cyndislist.com)
- Macon County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Macon Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Macon Co. AL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of Alabama Links and Information
- Macon County D.O.T. MAP
- 1895 Macon County Map (livgenmi.com)
Macon Co. AL Military Records
- Alabama Military Records Research Guide
- Alabama Military Records (Fold3.com) gives access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Alabama both women and men who served. Great for Macon County genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.
- Macon County Military Records