Jefferson County, Washington
Genealogy and Facts
Jefferson County, Washington genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Jefferson Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Jefferson County was founded on December 22, 1852 from Thurston County. The county was named in honor of Thomas Jefferson (1743–1826), 3rd U.S. President and principal author of the Declaration of Independence.
The Jefferson County Seat is situated in Port Townsend (spelled Port Townshend until 1853) and the county government website is http://www.co.jefferson.wa.us/
Locations bordering Jefferson County are Island County (northeast), Kitsap County (southeast), Mason County (southeast), Grays Harbor County (southwest), Clallam County (northwest), San Juan County (northeast).
Cities and towns found in Jefferson County consists of Brinnon, Marrowstone, Port Hadlock-Irondale, Port Ludlow, Port Townsend, Quilcene.
1792 Captain George Vancouver named Port Townsend, the present county seat. During the mid-nineteenth century the city experienced a building boom resulting from its status as a major Puget Sound port of entry and it is now a showpiece of Victorian architecture. Today the county bases its economy on wood products and agriculture while the Olympic National Park, occupying over half of the county, and the unique character of Port Townsend make tourism a major industry.
Jefferson County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules exist for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Jefferson Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1870 and 1880. Jefferson Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Jefferson Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You'll find free down loadable in addition to printable census forms that can help with your research.
Jefferson County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Jefferson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Washington State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Jefferson County Genealogical Society, 210 Madison St, Port Townsend, WA 98368.
- Jefferson County Historical Society & Museum, 210 Madison, Port Townsend, WA 98368. Phone 360-385-1003. Located in the historic City Hall, the museum's collections and exhibits focus on the rich and diverse heritage of the county. Collections include artifacts, archives, family histories and a photographic collection of the Native American tribes of the area, pioneer groups and the military. On site is the McCurdy Research Library.
- Port Townsend Family History Center Library, 10104 Rhody Dr Rd, Chimacum, WA 98325. Phone 360-385-5191.
- Quilcene Historical Museum, PO Box 574, 151 Columbia St, Quilcene, WA 98376. Phone 360-765-4848. Established in 1991, the museum reflects Quilcene and surrounding communities: the Native Americans, pioneers, industry and the Quilcene Country Store.
- Washington State Archives, Northwest Regional Branch , Western Washington University, MS-9123 , 25th St and Bill McDonald Parkway. Phone: 1-360-650-7930. Hours: 8:30 – 4:30 Monday through Friday excluding state holidays
- Jefferson County, Washington Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Jefferson County
- Jefferson County, Washington Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Jefferson County
- Washington State Digital Archives (digitalarchives.wa.gov)
- USGenWeb Archives for Jefferson County (usgwarchives.net)
Jefferson County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often forget the benefits of Jefferson County court, probate, and land files as a source of genealogy information and facts. Buried away in Washington courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of countless Washington men and women.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least a few factors of their lives in the Jefferson County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH
. The documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of workers will help individuals in finding the resources, however it is up to the man or women to complete the research. Although originally held in the county seat, many county land, probate, and court records have been transferred to the state archive's regional branches.
The below specifics denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records will be in Jefferson County. The dates pointed out below could be the first noted records for this particular county.
- Jefferson County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1820 Jefferson St, PO Box 1220, Port Townsend WA 98368-1220
- Courthouse hours: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
- Jefferson County Auditor has many responsibilities which include the recording of real property documents such as deeds and other recorded documents, issuing various licenses such as marriage liscense.
- Birth and Death Records: 1891 to 1907
- Marriage Records: 1853
- Land Records: 1855
- Jefferson County Clerk is the administrator of the Superior Court Clerk's Office. The Clerk's Office is responsible for keeping the permanent records of all cases filed in Superior Court. The type of cases filed are felony criminal cases, civil lawsuits, petitions for protection from domestic violence, family law matters (dissolutions 3rd Party Custody, parenting plans, modifications) probates, guardianships, Last Will & Testaments, paternities, adoptions and mental commitments.
- Court Records: 1853
- Probate Records: 1854
- Jefferson County Treasurer is the property tax collector for the County. Property Taxes are levied on the property by the various taxing authorities based on the valuation and current property usage as set by the Assessor's Office.
- Washington Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Washington for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Jefferson County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Jefferson County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is simply a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own favorite Jefferson County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Jefferson Co. WA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Jefferson Co. WA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Jefferson Co. WA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- See Also Washington Court & Tax, Land and Probate Records
- Order County Court, Civil or Criminal Records Online
- Washington, County Records, 1856-2009 (familysearch.org) Collection of various records including vital, probate, school, tax, naturalization and other records.
- Washington, County Land Records, 1850-1954 (familysearch.org)
- Washington, County Probate Case Files, 1832-1950 (familysearch.org)
- Washington, County Probate Records, 1853-1929 (familysearch.org)
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Jefferson Co. WA Census Records
Jefferson Co. WA Church & Cemeteries
Jefferson Co. WA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Jefferson Co. WA General and History Websites
Jefferson Co. WA Immigration & Naturalization
Jefferson Co. WA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Jefferson Co. WA Military Records
Jefferson Co. WA Schools & Directories