San Juan County, Washington
San Juan County was founded on October 31, 1873 from Whatcom County.
San Juan County vital records can be found at the Washington Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Washington for current fees and application process.
You can search online for San Juan County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Washington Birth or Death Certificate and Marriage or Divorce Certificate Applications to mail.
San Juan County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules exist for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
San Juan Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1880. San Juan Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1880. San Juan Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You’ll find free down loadable in addition to printable census forms that can help with your research.
San Juan County Society and Family History Resources
A list of San Juan County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Washington State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Washington State Archives, Northwest Regional Branch , Western Washington University, MS-9123 , 25th St and Bill McDonald Parkway. Phone: 1-360-650-7930. Hours: 8:30 – 4:30 Monday through Friday excluding state holidays
- San Juan Historical Society, PO Box 441, 405 Price St, Friday Harbor, WA 98250. Phone 360-378-3949 .
- Shaw Island Library & Historical Society, PO Box 844, Blind Bay Rd., Shaw Island, WA 98286-0844. Phone360-468-4068 .
- Lopez Island Historical Museum, PO Box 163, 28 Washburn Pl, Lopez Island, WA 98261. Phone 360-468-2049.
- Orcas Island Historical Museum, PO Box 134, 181 North Beach Rd, Eastsound, WA 98245. Phone 360-376-4849.
- San Juan Historical Museum, PO Box 441, 405 Price St, Friday Harbor, WA 98250. Phone 360-378-3949 .
- San Juan Washington Family History Center, 1013 Lampard Road, Friday Harbor, WA. Phone 360-378-4162 .
- San Juan County, Washington Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- San Juan County, Washington Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- Washington State Digital Archives (digitalarchives.wa.gov)
- USGenWeb Archives for San Juan County (usgwarchives.net)
San Juan County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often forget the benefits of San Juan County court, probate, and land files as a source of genealogy information and facts. Buried away in Washington courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of countless Washington men and women.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least a few factors of their lives in the San Juan County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
The dates pointed out below could be the first noted records for this particular county.
- San Juan County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 350 Court St, Friday Harbor WA 98250
- Courthouse hours: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
- San Juan County Auditor
- Birth and Death Records: 1891 to 1907
- Marriage Records: 1874
- Land Records: 1877
- San Juan County Clerk
- Court Records: 1874
- Probate Records: 1889
San Juan County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to San Juan County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is simply a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own favorite San Juan County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.