Jefferson County, Washington
Jefferson County was founded on December 22, 1852 from Thurston County.
Jefferson County vital records can be found at the Washington Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Washington for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Jefferson County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Washington Birth or Death Certificate and Marriage or Divorce Certificate Applications to mail.
Jefferson County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules exist for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Jefferson Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1870 and 1880. Jefferson Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Jefferson Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You’ll find free down loadable in addition to printable census forms that can help with your research.
Jefferson County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Jefferson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Washington State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Jefferson County Genealogical Society, 210 Madison St, Port Townsend, WA 98368.
- Jefferson County Historical Society & Museum, 210 Madison, Port Townsend, WA 98368. Phone 360-385-1003. Located in the historic City Hall, the museum’s collections and exhibits focus on the rich and diverse heritage of the county. Collections include artifacts, archives, family histories and a photographic collection of the Native American tribes of the area, pioneer groups and the military. On site is the McCurdy Research Library.
- Port Townsend Family History Center Library, 10104 Rhody Dr Rd, Chimacum, WA 98325. Phone 360-385-5191.
- Quilcene Historical Museum, PO Box 574, 151 Columbia St, Quilcene, WA 98376. Phone 360-765-4848. Established in 1991, the museum reflects Quilcene and surrounding communities: the Native Americans, pioneers, industry and the Quilcene Country Store.
- Washington State Archives, Northwest Regional Branch , Western Washington University, MS-9123 , 25th St and Bill McDonald Parkway. Phone: 1-360-650-7930. Hours: 8:30 – 4:30 Monday through Friday excluding state holidays
- Jefferson County, Washington Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Jefferson County, Washington Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- Washington State Digital Archives (digitalarchives.wa.gov)
- USGenWeb Archives for Jefferson County (usgwarchives.net)
Jefferson County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often forget the benefits of Jefferson County court, probate, and land files as a source of genealogy information and facts. Buried away in Washington courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of countless Washington men and women.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least a few factors of their lives in the Jefferson County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
The dates pointed out below could be the first noted records for this particular county.
- Jefferson County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1820 Jefferson St, PO Box 1220, Port Townsend WA 98368-1220
- Courthouse hours: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
- Jefferson County Auditor
- Birth and Death Records: 1891 to 1907
- Marriage Records: 1853
- Land Records: 1855
- Jefferson County Clerk
- Court Records: 1853
- Probate Records: 1854
Jefferson County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Jefferson County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is simply a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own favorite Jefferson County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.