Garfield County, Washington
Genealogy and Facts
Garfield County was founded on November 29, 1881 from Columbia County. The county was named in honor of James A. Garfield (1831–1881), 20th U.S. President.
The Garfield County Seat is situated in Pomeroy and the county government website is http://www.co.garfield.wa.us/
Locations bordering Garfield County are Whitman County (north), Asotin County (east), Wallowa County, Oregon (south), Columbia County (west)
Cities and towns found in Garfield County consists of Pomeroy
In the nineteenth century, many of the region’s major explorers passed through the county, Lewis and Clark in 1806 and Captain James Bonneville in 1834. Today Garfield County is the state’s least populous county. Its economy is based primarily on growing grain, livestock raising and the processing of food.
Garfield County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules exist for 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Garfield Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You'll find free down loadable in addition to printable census forms that can help with your research.
Garfield County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Garfield County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Washington State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Garfield County Historical Association, PO Box 854, Pomeroy, WA 99347. Phone 509-843-3925.
- Asotin County Historical Society, 215 Filmore, Asotin, WA 99402 509-243-4659 Collections include an oral
histories, early Post Office records of Asotin and Garfield counties, an obituary file, indexed form 1886 -1926, updated to
present. Has cemetery records of 47 different cemeteries in Asotin and Garfield counties, and personal files on many early
residents. The photograph collection includes early Asotin County buildings, communities, residents, farms, ranches and the early schools of Asotin and Garfield counties, and Oregon's Wallowa County.
- Garfield County Museum, 7th and Columbia, Pomeroy, WA 99347 Museum's collection includes county
histories, newspapers, and other items of interest to local historians and genealogists.
- Washington State Archives, Eastern Washington Regional Archives, 960 Washington Street, Cheney, Washington 99004; Telephone: (509)235-7508. On the campus of Eastern Washington University in Cheney
- Garfield County, Washington Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Garfield County
- Garfield County, Washington Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Garfield County
- Washington State Digital Archives (digitalarchives.wa.gov)
- USGenWeb Archives for Garfield County (usgwarchives.net)
Garfield County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often forget the benefits of Garfield County court, probate, and land files as a source of genealogy information and facts. Buried away in Washington courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of countless Washington men and women.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least a few factors of their lives in the Garfield County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH
. The documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of workers will help individuals in finding the resources, however it is up to the man or women to complete the research. Although originally held in the county seat, many county land, probate, and court records have been transferred to the state archive's regional branches.
The below specifics denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records will be in Garfield County. The dates pointed out below could be the first noted records for this particular county.
- Garfield County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: PO Box 278, 789 Main Street , Pomeroy WA 99347-0340
- Courthouse hours: 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
- Garfield County Auditor has many responsibilities which include the recording of real property documents such as deeds and other recorded documents, issuing various licenses such as marriage liscense.
- Birth and Death Records: 1891 to 1907
- Marriage Records: 1892
- Land Records: 1892
- Garfield County Clerk is the administrator of the Superior Court Clerk's Office. The Clerk's Office is responsible for keeping the permanent records of all cases filed in Superior Court. The type of cases filed are felony criminal cases, civil lawsuits, petitions for protection from domestic violence, family law matters (dissolutions 3rd Party Custody, parenting plans, modifications) probates, guardianships, Last Will & Testaments, paternities, adoptions and mental commitments.
- Court Records: 1882
- Probate Records: 1883
- Garfield County Treasurer is the property tax collector for the County. Property Taxes are levied on the property by the various taxing authorities based on the valuation and current property usage as set by the Assessor's Office.
- Washington Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Washington for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Garfield County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Garfield County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is simply a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own favorite Garfield County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Garfield Co. WA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Garfield Co. WA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Garfield Co. WA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- See Also Washington Court & Tax, Land and Probate Records
- Order County Court, Civil or Criminal Records Online
- Washington, County Records, 1856-2009 (familysearch.org) Collection of various records including vital, probate, school, tax, naturalization and other records.
- Washington, County Land Records, 1850-1954 (familysearch.org)
- Washington, County Probate Case Files, 1832-1950 (familysearch.org)
- Washington, County Probate Records, 1853-1929 (familysearch.org)
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Garfield Co. WA Census Records
Garfield Co. WA Church & Cemeteries
Garfield Co. WA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Garfield Co. WA General and History Websites
Garfield Co. WA Immigration & Naturalization
Garfield Co. WA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Garfield Co. WA Military Records
Garfield Co. WA Schools & Directories