Franklin County, Washington
Genealogy and Facts
Franklin County, Washington genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Franklin Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Franklin County was founded on November 28, 1883 from Whitman County.. The county was named in honor of Benjamin Franklin (1706–1790), writer, orator, inventor, and U.S. Founding Father.
The Franklin County Seat is situated in Pasco (from 1883-1885 Ainsworth was the county seat) and the county government website is http://www.co.franklin.wa.us/
Locations bordering Franklin County are Adams County (north), Whitman County (east), Walla Walla County (southeast), Benton County (southwest), Grant County (northwest).
Cities and towns found in Franklin County consists of Basin City, Connell, Kahlotus, Mesa, Pasco, West Pasco
Its early history centered on transportation. The Caribou rail, used from 1859-68, traversed the county. Later means of transportation included the establishment of ferries on the Columbia and Snake rivers closely followed by the introduction of railroads through the county.
Franklin County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules exist for 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Franklin Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You'll find free down loadable in addition to printable census forms that can help with your research.
Franklin County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Franklin County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Washington State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Tri-City Genealogical Society, PO Box 1410, Richland, WA 99352-1410. Tri-City Genealogical Society's holdings are located at the Richland Family History Center 1321 Jadwin Ave, Richland, WA. Phone 509-946-6637.
- Franklin County Historical Society & Museum, 305 N Fourth, Pasco, WA 99301. Phone 509-547-3714. Collection includes local yearbooks, telephone directories, scrapbooks, vertical file of local clippings, early day police records, and alphabetized collection of obituaries.
- Basin City Family History Center, 160 Bailie Blvd, Basin City, WA. Phone 509-269-4237.
- State Archives Central Branch Bledsoe & Washington Archives Building, Central Washington University, 400 E. University Way, Mail Stop 7547, Ellensburg, Washington 98926-7547. Phone: 509-963-2136. Research Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 12:00 noon and 1:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Franklin County, Washington Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Franklin County
- Franklin County, Washington Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Franklin County
- Washington State Digital Archives (digitalarchives.wa.gov)
- USGenWeb Archives for Franklin County (usgwarchives.net)
Franklin County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often forget the benefits of Franklin County court, probate, and land files as a source of genealogy information and facts. Buried away in Washington courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of countless Washington men and women.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least a few factors of their lives in the Franklin County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH
. The documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of workers will help individuals in finding the resources, however it is up to the man or women to complete the research. Although originally held in the county seat, many county land, probate, and court records have been transferred to the state archive's regional branches.
The below specifics denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records will be in Franklin County. The dates pointed out below could be the first noted records for this particular county.
- Franklin County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1016 N 4th Ave, Pasco WA 99301-3706
- Courthouse hours: 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
- Franklin County Auditor has many responsibilities which include the recording of real property documents such as deeds and other recorded documents, issuing various licenses such as marriage liscense. Researchers are on their own. Before and after elections, staff time and workspace are very limited.
- Birth and Death Records: 1891 to 1907
- Marriage Records: 1890
- Land Records: 1880
- Franklin County Clerk is the administrator of the Superior Court Clerk's Office. The Clerk's Office is responsible for keeping the permanent records of all cases filed in Superior Court. The type of cases filed are felony criminal cases, civil lawsuits, petitions for protection from domestic violence, family law matters (dissolutions 3rd Party Custody, parenting plans, modifications) probates, guardianships, Last Will & Testaments, paternities, adoptions and mental commitments.
- Court Records: 1884
- Probate Records: 1874
- Franklin County Treasurer is the property tax collector for the County. Property Taxes are levied on the property by the various taxing authorities based on the valuation and current property usage as set by the Assessor's Office.
- Washington Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Washington for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Franklin County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Franklin County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is simply a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own favorite Franklin County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Franklin Co. WA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Franklin Co. WA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Franklin Co. WA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- See Also Washington Court & Tax, Land and Probate Records
- Order County Court, Civil or Criminal Records Online
- Washington, County Records, 1856-2009 (familysearch.org) Collection of various records including vital, probate, school, tax, naturalization and other records.
- Washington, County Land Records, 1850-1954 (familysearch.org)
- Washington, County Probate Case Files, 1832-1950 (familysearch.org)
- Washington, County Probate Records, 1853-1929 (familysearch.org)
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Franklin Co. WA Census Records
Franklin Co. WA Church & Cemeteries
Franklin Co. WA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Franklin Co. WA General and History Websites
Franklin Co. WA Immigration & Naturalization
Franklin Co. WA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Franklin Co. WA Military Records
Franklin Co. WA Schools & Directories