Clallam County, Washington
Clallam County was founded on April 26, 1854 from Jefferson County. The county was named after a Klallam word meaning "the strong people".
The Clallam County Seat is situated in Port Angeles and the county government website is http://www.clallam.net/
Locations bordering Clallam County are Jefferson County (south)..
Cities and towns found in Clallam County consists of Bell Hill, Blyn, Carlsborg, Forks, Neah Bay, Port Angeles, Port Angeles East, River Road, Sequim
Clallam County vital records can be found at the Washington Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Washington for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Clallam County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Washington Birth or Death Certificate and Marriage or Divorce Certificate Applications to mail.
Clallam County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules exist for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Clallam Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1870 and 1880. Clallam Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Clallam Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You'll find free down loadable in addition to printable census forms that can help with your research.
Clallam County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Clallam County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Washington (raogk.org)
- Washington Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Washington State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Washington State Archives, Northwest Regional Branch , Western Washington University, MS-9123 , 25th St and Bill McDonald Parkway. Phone: 1-360-650-7930. Hours: 8:30 – 4:30 Monday through Friday excluding state holidays
- Clallam County Genealogical Societ & Library, 931 W 9th St, PO Box 1327, Port Angeles, WA 98362; Phone: 1-360-417-5000; Hours: 10 to 4 Monday through Friday
- Clallam County Historical Society, 933 W 9th St, PO Box 1327, Port Angeles, WA 98362; Phone: 1-360-425-2662
- Forks Genealogical Society, c/o Forks Memorial Library, 171 Forks Ave So, PO Box 1817, Forks, WA 98331; Phone: 1-360-374-6402.
- Forks Family History Center, 1301 Calawah Way, Forks, WA 98331; Phone: 1-360-374-9339
- Hoh Tribe Library, 2464 Lower Hoh Rd, Forks, WA 98331; Phone: 1-360-274-6501
- Jamestown S'Klallam Tribal Library, Address: 1033 Old Blyn Highway, Sequim, WA 98382; Phone: 1-360-681-4614
- Lower Elwha S'Klallam Tribal Library, 2851 Lower Elwha Rd, Port Angeles, WA 98363; Phone: 1-360-452-8471
- Port Angeles Family History Center, 591 Monroe Rd, Port Angeles, WA 98362; Phone: 1-360-565-8322
- Forks Timber Museum, Highway 101 S, Forks, WA 98331
- Clallam County Museum at the Carnegie, 207 S Lincoln, Port Angeles, WA 98362; Phone: 1-360-452-2662
- Clallam County, Washington Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Clallam County, Washington Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- Washington State Digital Archives (digitalarchives.wa.gov)
- USGenWeb Archives for Clallam County (usgwarchives.net)
Clallam County Courthouse and Government Records
Clallam County Courthouse
Genealogist often forget the benefits of Clallam County court, probate, and land files as a source of genealogy information and facts. Buried away in Washington courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of countless Washington men and women.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least a few factors of their lives in the Clallam County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
The below specifics denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records will be in Clallam County. The dates pointed out below could be the first noted records for this particular county.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH
. The documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of workers will help individuals in finding the resources, however it is up to the man or women to complete the research. Although originally held in the county seat, many county land, probate, and court records have been transferred to the state archive's regional branches.
- Clallam County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 223 E 4th, Port Angeles 98362
- Courthouse hours: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
- Clallam County Auditor has many responsibilities which include the recording of real property documents such as deeds and other recorded documents, issuing various licenses such as marriage liscense.
- Birth and Death Records: 1891 to 1907
- Marriage Records: 1878
- Land Records: 1859
- Clallam County Clerk is the administrator of the Superior Court Clerk's Office. The Clerk's Office is responsible for keeping the permanent records of all cases filed in Superior Court. The type of cases filed are felony criminal cases, civil lawsuits, petitions for protection from domestic violence, family law matters (dissolutions 3rd Party Custody, parenting plans, modifications) probates, guardianships, Last Will & Testaments, paternities, adoptions and mental commitments.
- Court Records: 1862
- Probate Records: 1889
- Clallam County Treasurer is the property tax collector for the County. Property Taxes are levied on the property by the various taxing authorities based on the valuation and current property usage as set by the Assessor's Office.
- The Clallam County Department of Health and Human Services can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait.
Clallam County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Clallam County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is simply a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own favorite Clallam County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Clallam Co. WA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Clallam Co. WA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Clallam Co. WA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- Washington Court Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Washington, County Records, 1856-2009 (familysearch.org) Collection of various records including vital, probate, school, tax, naturalization and other records.
- Washington, County Land Records, 1850-1954 (familysearch.org)
- Washington, County Probate Case Files, 1832-1950 (familysearch.org)
- Washington, County Probate Records, 1853-1929 (familysearch.org)
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Clallam Co. WA Census Records
Clallam Co. WA Church & Cemeteries
Clallam Co. WA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Clallam Co. WA General and History Websites
Clallam Co. WA Immigration & Naturalization
Clallam Co. WA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Clallam Co. WA Military Records
Clallam Co. WA Schools & Directories