Shenandoah County, Virginia
Genealogy and Facts
Shenandoah County, Virginia genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Shenandoah Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Shenandoah County was founded on 1772 from Frederick County (was originally named Dunmore County , was renamed in January 12, 1778). This county was named for the Shenandoah River.
The Shenandoah County Seat is located in Woodstock also, the county government website is www.shenandoahcountyva.us/ .
Areas bordering to Shenandoah County are Hardy County, West Virginia (northwest), Frederick County (northeast), Warren County (east), Page County (southeast), Rockingham County (southwest).
Cities and towns located in Shenandoah County include Strasburg, Toms Brook, Woodstock, Edinburg, Mount Jackson and New Market .
Shenandoah County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1790 (destroyed), 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Shenandoah Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Shenandoah Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Shenandoah Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Shenandoah County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Shenandoah County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Central Virginia Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 5583, Charlottesville, VA 22905-5583
- Shenandoah County Historical Society, P.O. Box 506, Edinburg, VA 22824; Phone:540-984-7842; has just recently added an extensive amount of research on African Americans in Shenandoah County to their web site.
- Shenandoah County Library, 514 Stoney Creek Boulevard, Edinburg, VA 22824, (540) 984-8200
- Shenandoah Valley Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 2234, Winchester, VA 22604
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Shenandoah County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Shenandoah County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Shenandoah County
- Shenandoah County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Shenandoah County
- Shenandoah County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Shenandoah Co. Virginia
Shenandoah County Courthouse and Government Records
Shenandoah County Courthouse
Genealogist frequently forget the value of Shenandoah County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the Shenandoah County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Woodstock is the county seat for Shenandoah County. The cornerstone states the courthouse was built in 1795 and is the oldest still in use west of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Shenandoah county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Includes records of Dunmore (1772—78).
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to perform the research.
- Shenandoah County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: P. O. Box 406, 112 South Main Street, Woodstock, VA 22664-1423
- Phone: (540) 459-6150
- Marriage Records: 1772
- Land Records: 1772
- Court Records: 1772
- Probate Records: 1772
- Shenandoah County (VA) Treasurer
- Shenandoah County Commissioner of Revenue
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Shenandoah County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to Shenandoah County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Shenandoah County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Shenandoah Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Shenandoah Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in Virginia
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Shenandoah County, Virginia Births, 1878-90 (search.ancestry.com)
- Shenandoah County, Virginia Births, 1853-71 (search.ancestry.com)
- Shenandoah County, Virginia Births, 1891-96 (search.ancestry.com)
- Shenandoah County, Virginia Births, 1872-77 (search.ancestry.com)
- Shenandoah County Marriage Bonds, 1772-1850 (search.ancestry.com)
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Shenandoah Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- See Also Virginia Court & Tax, Land and Probate Records
- Order County Court, Civil or Criminal Records Online
- Shenandoah County, Virginia Wills, 1771-91 (search.ancestry.com)
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia County Records, Volume, VI, VII , IX, X (search.ancestry.com) The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Shenandoah Co. VA Census Records
Shenandoah Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Shenandoah Co. VA Church & Bible Records
Shenandoah Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Shenandoah Co. VA General and History Websites
Shenandoah Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Shenandoah Co. VA Military Records