Roanoke County, Virginia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Roanoke County, Virginia Facts
When was Roanoke County, VA Created?
Roanoke County was established on March 30, 1838 from Botetourt County.
What is the County Seat of Roanoke County, VA?
The County Seat is located in Salem also, the county government website is www.roanokecountyva.gov/ .
What counties are adjacent to Roanoke County, VA?
Bordering Counties are Botetourt County (northeast), Bedford County (east), Franklin County (southeast), Floyd County (south/southwest), Montgomery County (west), Craig County (northwest).
Roanoke County, VA Vital Records
Where can find Roanoke County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Roanoke County vital records can be found at the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has Birth and Death Records since June 14, 1912 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Roanoke County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Roanoke Co. Virginia Birth, Marriage, Divorce, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
The Archives Division has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896 and marriage records prior to 1936. Another resource is the Roanoke County/Salem Health Department, 105 East Calhoun Street, P. O. Box 1144, Salem, VA 24153; (540) 387-5530
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Virginia Marriage Project
- Virginia Births and Christenings, 1853-1917
- Virginia Birth, Marriage, and Death Registers
- Virginia Birth and Marriage (Husband-Wife) Indexes
- Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940
- Virginia Marriage Records
- Virginia Marriages before 1824
- Early Virginia Marriage Records
- Virginia Marriages to 1800
- Virginia Marriages, 1740-1850
- Virginia Marriages, 1851-1929
- Virginia Vital Records
- Early Virginia Marriage Records - Research Notes Number 26.
- Henley Marriage/Obituary Index to Virginia Newspapers
- Index to Virginia Marriage Records
- Marriage Index for Richmond Enquirer/Richmond Visitor
- Virginia Death Records Indexing Project
- Virginia Death Certificates, 1912-1939
- Virginia Deaths and Burials, 1853-1912
Roanoke County, VA Census Records
What Roanoke County, VA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Roanoke County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Roanoke Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Roanoke Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Roanoke Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Virginia Census Records Research Guide
Roanoke County, VA Courthouse and Government Records
Roanoke County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Roanoke County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Roanoke County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Virginia Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Roanoke County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Address: P. O. Box 1126, 305 E. Main Street, Salem, VA 24153-1126
- Phone: (540) 387-6205
- Marriage Records: 1838
- Land Records: 1838
- Court Records: 1838
- Probate Records: 1838
- Virginia Land, Marriage, and Probate Records, 1639-1850
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes - County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
- Virginia County Records, Volume, VI, VII , IX, X - The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- BLM Land Records
Roanoke County, VA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Roanoke County, VA?
A list of Roanoke County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Virginia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Roanoke Valley Historical Society Museum and Library, One Market Square, P.O. Box 1904, Roanoke, VA 24011, (540) 342-5770
- Salem Historical Society, Box 201, Salem, VA 24153
- The Library of Virginia, Archives And Research Services , 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- The Library of Virginia, 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- Virginia Genealogical Society, 5001 West Broad Street, Suite 115, Richmond, Virginia 23230-3023 Telephone (804) 285-8954
- Virginia Historical Society, 428 North Boulevard, Richmond, Virginia 23220, Phone: 804.358.4901
- Roanoke County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Roanoke Co. Virginia
Where can I connect with other Roanoke County, VA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Roanoke County, VA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Roanoke County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Roanoke Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Roanoke Co. VA Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Roanoke Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Roanoke Co. VA General and History Websites
- Roanoke County Virginia (genealogytrails.com)
- History of Roanoke County (visitroanokeva.com)
- Your guide to Salem : its history, area maps, industries, facilities and opportunities. (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Roanoke County, Salem, Roanoke City, Virginia, and representative citizens, 1734-1900 (search.ancestry.com)
- Roanoke, story of county and city (search.ancestry.com)
- Places Near the Mountains [Botetourt and Roanoke Counties, Virginia] (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Roanoke County (search.ancestry.com)
- A Place Apart (search.ancestry.com)
- Roanoke County, Virginia Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Roanoke County, Virginia Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Roanoke Co. VA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Roanoke County History (usgwarchives.net)
- Roanoke County - American History and Genealogy Project (usgennet.org)
- Roanoke County, Virginia (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Virginia - Counties - Roanoke (cyndislist.com)
- Roanoke Co. VAGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Roanoke County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Roanoke Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Roanoke Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Roanoke Co. VA Military Records