Bedford County, Virginia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Bedford County, Virginia Facts
When was Bedford County, VA Created?
Bedford County was established on December 13, 1753 and was formed from Lunenburg County.
What counties are adjacent to Bedford County, VA?
Bordering Counties are Rockbridge County, Amherst County, Lynchburg, Campbell County, Pittsylvania County, Franklin County, Roanoke County, Botetourt County.
Bedford County, VA Vital Records
Where can find Bedford County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Bedford County vital records can be found at the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has Birth and Death Records since June 14, 1912 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Bedford County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Bedford Co. Virginia Birth, Marriage, Divorce, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
The Archives Division has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896 and marriage records prior to 1936.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- USGenweb Archives Virginia Marriage Project
- Virginia Births and Christenings, 1853-1917
- Virginia Birth, Marriage, and Death Registers
- Virginia Birth and Marriage (Husband-Wife) Indexes
- Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940
- Early Virginia Marriage Records
- Early Virginia Marriage Records – Research Notes Number 26.
- Henley Marriage/Obituary Index to Virginia Newspapers
- Index to Virginia Marriage Records
- Marriage Index for Richmond Enquirer/Richmond Visitor
- Virginia Death Records Indexing Project
- Virginia Death Certificates, 1912-1939
- Virginia Deaths and Burials, 1853-1912
Bedford County, VA Census Records
What Bedford County, VA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Bedford County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Bedford Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Bedford Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Bedford Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Virginia Census Records Research Guide
Bedford County, VA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Bedford County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Bedford County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Virginia Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Bedford County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Address: 123 East Main St., Suite 201, Bedford, VA 24523
- Phone: (540) 586-7632
- Marriage Records: 1755
- Land Records: 1754
- Court Records:1754
- Probate Records:1754
- Bedford County (VA) Treasurer
- Bedford County Commissioner of the Revenue
- Bedford County Real Estate Parcel Search
- Another resource is the Another resource is the Bedford County Health Department, 600 Bedford Ave., Bedford, VA 24523; Phone: 540-586-7952; Fax: 540-586-7950
- Virginia Land, Marriage, and Probate Records, 1639-1850
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes
- Virginia County Records, Volume, VI, VII , IX, X – The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- BLM Land Records
Bedford County, VA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Bedford County, VA?
A list of Bedford County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Virginia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Bedford Museum and Genealogical Library 201 East Main St.-Bedford, Va 24523; Tel. 540 586 4520
- Bedford Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1439, Bedford, Virginia 24523; 540-466-4247
- Bedford Historical Society, Inc., 315 North Bridge Street, P.O. Box 602, Bedford, VA 24523; (540) 586-8188
- Bedford Public Library System, 321 North Bridge Street, Bedford, VA 24523, Phone 540-586-8911
- Big Island Library, 1111 Schooldays Road, Big Island, VA 24526, Phone 434-299-5604
- Forest Library, 15583 Forest Road, Forest, VA 24551, Phone 434-525-1817
- Moneta/Smith Mountain Lake Library, 13641 Moneta Road, Moneta, VA 24121, Phone 540-297-6474
- Montvale Library, 11575 West Lynchburg-Salem Turnpike, Montvale, VA 24122, Phone 540-947-2200
- Stewartsville Libray, 45 Cascade Drive, Vinton, VA 24179, Phone 540-890-4530
- The Library of Virginia, Archives And Research Services , 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- The Library of Virginia, 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- Virginia Genealogical Society, 5001 West Broad Street, Suite 115, Richmond, Virginia 23230-3023 Telephone (804) 285-8954
- Virginia Historical Society, 428 North Boulevard, Richmond, Virginia 23220, Phone: 804.358.4901
- Bedford County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage – Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Bedford Co. Virginia
Where can I connect with other Bedford County, VA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Virginia Genealogy Network
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Bedford County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Bedford County
- Bedford County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Bedford County, VA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Bedford County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.