Frederick County, Virginia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Frederick County, Virginia Facts
When was Frederick County, VA Created?
Frederick County was established on December 15, 1738 from Orange County (part of Augusta County was added later. Authorized in 1738, but the government was not formed until 1743) . This county was named for Frederick, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George II .
What is the County Seat of Frederick County, VA?
The County Seat is located in Winchester also, the county government website is www.co.frederick.va.us/ .
What counties are adjacent to Frederick County, VA?
Bordering Counties are Clarke County (east), Warren County (south), Shenandoah County (southwest), Hardy County, West Virginia (southwest), Hampshire County, West Virginia (west), Morgan County, West Virginia (north), Berkeley County, West Virginia (northeast).
What cities and towns are in Frederick County, VA?
Cities and towns located in Frederick County include Winchester, Middletown and Stephens City.
Frederick County, VA Vital Records
Where can find Frederick County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Frederick County vital records can be found at the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has Birth and Death Records since June 14, 1912 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Frederick County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Frederick Co. Virginia Birth, Marriage, Divorce, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
The Archives Division has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896 and marriage records prior to 1936. Another resource is the Frederick / Winchester Health Department, 10 Baker Street, Winchester, VA 22601; Phone: (540) 722-3470
- 1771-1825 Marriages
- 1782-1815 City of Winchester Marriages
- Frederick County Virginia Birth Records, 1855-96
- Frederick County, Virginia, marriages, 1771-1825
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Virginia Marriage Project
- Virginia Births and Christenings, 1853-1917
- Virginia Birth, Marriage, and Death Registers
- Virginia Birth and Marriage (Husband-Wife) Indexes
- Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940
- Virginia Marriage Records
- Virginia Marriages before 1824
- Early Virginia Marriage Records
- Virginia Marriages to 1800
- Virginia Marriages, 1740-1850
- Virginia Marriages, 1851-1929
- Virginia Vital Records
- Early Virginia Marriage Records - Research Notes Number 26.
- Henley Marriage/Obituary Index to Virginia Newspapers
- Index to Virginia Marriage Records
- Marriage Index for Richmond Enquirer/Richmond Visitor
- Virginia Death Records Indexing Project
- Virginia Death Certificates, 1912-1939
- Virginia Deaths and Burials, 1853-1912
Frederick County, VA Census Records
What Frederick County, VA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Frederick County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790 (destroyed), 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Frederick Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Frederick Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Frederick Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Virginia Census Records Research Guide
Frederick County, VA Courthouse and Government Records
Frederick County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Frederick County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Frederick County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Virginia Corthouse Records Research Guide
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Authorized in 1738, but the government was not formed until 1743.
- Frederick County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: 5 North Kent Street, Winchester, VA 22601-5037
- Phone: (540) 667-5770
- Marriage Records: 1771
- Land Records: 1743
- Court Records: 1743
- Probate Records: 1743
- Frederick County, Virginia, Wills & Administrations, 1795-1816
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes - County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
- Virginia County Records, Volume, VI, VII , IX, X - The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- BLM Land Records
Frederick County, VA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Frederick County, VA?
A list of Frederick County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Virginia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Handley Regional Library,
100 West Piccadilly Street,
Winchester, VA 22601,
- Shenandoah Valley Genealogical Society,
P.O. Box 2234,
Winchester, VA 22604
- Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society, 1340 South Pleasant Valley Road, Winchester, VA 22601, E-mail: email@example.com , 540-662-6550 ,
- Central Rappahannock Heritage Center, 900 Barton Street (in the old Maury School building). Fredericksburg, VA; ph: 540-373-3704
- The Library of Virginia, Archives And Research Services , 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- The Library of Virginia, 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- Virginia Genealogical Society, 5001 West Broad Street, Suite 115, Richmond, Virginia 23230-3023 Telephone (804) 285-8954
- Virginia Historical Society, 428 North Boulevard, Richmond, Virginia 23220, Phone: 804.358.4901
- Frederick County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Frederick Co. Virginia
Where can I connect with other Frederick County, VA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Frederick County, VA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Frederick County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Frederick Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Frederick Co. VA Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Frederick Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Frederick Co. VA General and History Websites
- Frederick County Virginia (genealogytrails.com)
- Frederick County, Virginia Hopewell Friends History (search.ancestry.com)
- History of the Lower Shenandoah Valley Counties of Frederick, Berkeley, Jefferson and Clarke : their early settlement and progr (search.ancestry.com)
- Shenandoah Valley pioneers and their descendants : a history of Frederick County, Virginia (illustrated) from its formation in (search.ancestry.com)
- Winchester, Virginia, and its beginnings, 1743-1814 : from its founding by Colonel James Wood to the close of the life of his s (search.ancestry.com)
- The story of Winchester in Virginia, the oldest town in the Shenandoah Valley (search.ancestry.com)
- Frederick County, Virginia Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Frederick County, Virginia Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Frederick Co. VA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Frederick County History (usgwarchives.net)
- Frederick County - American History and Genealogy Project (usgennet.org)
- Frederick County, Virginia (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Virginia - Counties - Frederick (cyndislist.com)
- Frederick Co. VAGenweb (genealogenie.net)
- Frederick County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Frederick Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Frederick Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Frederick Co. VA Military Records