Cumberland County, Virginia
Genealogy and Facts
Cumberland County, Virginia genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Cumberland Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Cumberland County was founded on March 23, 1748 from Goochland County . This county was named for Prince William, Duke of Cumberland, British general, politician, and son of King George II .
The Cumberland County Seat is located in Cumberland also, the county government website is www.cumberlandcounty.virginia.gov/ .
Areas bordering to Cumberland County are Goochland County (northeast), Powhatan County (east), Amelia County (southeast), Prince Edward County (south), Buckingham County (west), Fluvanna County (northwest).
Cities and towns located in Cumberland County include Cumberland.
Cumberland County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1790 (destroyed), 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Cumberland Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cumberland Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cumberland Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Cumberland County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Cumberland County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Cumberland County Historical Society, P.O. Box 188, Cumberland, VA 23040; (804) 492-4533
- South Central Virginia Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 295, Charlotte C.H., Va 23923
- Cumberland County Public Library, 1539 Anderson Highway, P. O. Box 98, Cumberland, VA 23040, Phone 804-492-5807
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Cumberland County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Cumberland County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Cumberland County
- Cumberland County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Cumberland County
- Cumberland County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Cumberland Co. Virginia
Cumberland County Courthouse and Government Records
Cumberland County Courthouse
Genealogist frequently forget the value of Cumberland County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the Cumberland County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Cumberland county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Records fragmented.
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to perform the research.
- Cumberland County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: P. O. Box 8, 1 Courthouse Circle, Cumberland, VA 23040-0008
- Phone: (804) 492-4442
- Marriage Records: 1749
- Land Records: 1749
- Court Records: 1749
- Probate Records: 1749
- Cumberland County Treasurer's Office
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Cumberland County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to Cumberland County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Cumberland County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Cumberland Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Cumberland Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Cumberland Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- See Also Virginia Court & Tax, Land and Probate Records
- Order County Court, Civil or Criminal Records Online
- Proceedings of the Committees of Safety of Cumberland and Isle of Wight Counties, Virginia, 1775-1776 (search.ancestry.com)
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia County Records, Volume, VI, VII , IX, X (search.ancestry.com) The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Cumberland Co. VA Census Records
Cumberland Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Cumberland Co. VA Church & Bible Records
Cumberland Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Cumberland Co. VA General and History Websites
Cumberland Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Cumberland Co. VA Military Records