OTHER GENEALOGY RESOURCES
Prince Edward County, Virginia
Genealogy, History & Facts
County Vital Records ∣ County Census Records ∣ County Courthouse and Government Records ∣
County Societies, Family History Resources and County Genealogy Links
Prince Edward County, Virginia Facts
When was Prince Edward County, VA Created?
Prince Edward County was established on November 17, 1753 from Amelia County .
What is the County Seat of Prince Edward County, VA?
The County Seat is located in Farmville also, the county government website is www.co.prince-edward.va.us/ .
What counties are adjacent to Prince Edward County, VA?
Bordering Counties are Buckingham County, Cumberland County, Amelia County, Nottoway County, Lunenburg County, Charlotte County, Appomattox County.
Prince Edward County, VA Vital Records
Where can find Prince Edward County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Prince Edward County vital records can be found at the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has Birth and Death Records since June 14, 1912 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Prince Edward County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Prince Edward Co. Virginia Birth, Marriage, Divorce, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
The Archives Division has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896 and marriage records prior to 1936. Another resource is the Prince Edward County Health Department,111 South Street, Ground Floor, Farmville, VA 23901; (434) 392-8187
- Prince Edward County, Virginia Births, 1862-96
- Prince Edward County, Virginia Deaths, 1880-96
- Prince Edward County, Virginia Deaths, 1862-79
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- USGenweb Archives Virginia Marriage Project
- Virginia Births and Christenings, 1853-1917
- Virginia Birth, Marriage, and Death Registers
- Virginia Birth and Marriage (Husband-Wife) Indexes
- Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940
- Early Virginia Marriage Records
- Early Virginia Marriage Records – Research Notes Number 26.
- Henley Marriage/Obituary Index to Virginia Newspapers
- Index to Virginia Marriage Records
- Marriage Index for Richmond Enquirer/Richmond Visitor
- Virginia Death Records Indexing Project
- Virginia Death Certificates, 1912-1939
- Virginia Deaths and Burials, 1853-1912
Prince Edward County, VA Census Records
What Prince Edward County, VA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Prince Edward County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Prince Edward Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Prince Edward Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Prince Edward Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Virginia Census Records Research Guide
Prince Edward County, VA Courthouse and Government Records
Prince Edward County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the PrinceEdward County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in PrinceEdward County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Virginia Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Prince Edward County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Address: Courthouse Building, P. O. Box 304, North Main Street, Farmville, VA 23901-0304
- Phone: (434) 392-5145
- Marriage Records: 1754
- Land Records: 1754
- Court Records: 1754
- Probate Records: 1754
- Virginia Land, Marriage, and Probate Records, 1639-1850
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes – County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia’s counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia’s counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library’s collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
- Virginia County Records, Volume, VI, VII , IX, X – The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- BLM Land Records
Prince Edward County, VA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Prince Edward County, VA?
A list of Prince Edward County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Virginia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Farmville-Prince Edward Historical Society, P.O. Box 546, Farmville, VA 23901
- South Central Virginia Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 295, Charlotte C.H., Va 23923; The society services 13 counties: Amelia, Appomattox, Brunswick, Buckingham, Campbell, Charlotte, Cumberland, Halifax, Lunenburg, Mecklenburg, Nottoway, Pittsylvania and Prince Edward
- Longwood College Library, 201 High Street, Farmville, VA 23909-1897, (434) 395-2633
- High Bridge Battlefield Museum and Prince Edward County Virginia Civil War History
- The Library of Virginia, Archives And Research Services , 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- The Library of Virginia, 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- Virginia Genealogical Society, 5001 West Broad Street, Suite 115, Richmond, Virginia 23230-3023 Telephone (804) 285-8954
- Virginia Historical Society, 428 North Boulevard, Richmond, Virginia 23220, Phone: 804.358.4901
- Prince Edward County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage – Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Prince Edward Co. Virginia
Where can I connect with other Prince Edward County, VA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Virginia Genealogy Network
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Prince Edward County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Prince Edward County
- Prince Edward County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Prince Edward County, VA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Prince Edward County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Prince Edward Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Virginia Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- Virginia historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from Virginia (1784 – 1922 ) (genealogybank.com) Immediately locate names and keywords in over 450 million content articles, obituaries, marriage notices, birth notices and other items written and published in over 2,800 historic U.S. newspapers. Brand new articles and other content added each month!
- Prince Edward County, Virginia Books (amazon.com)
- Search Virginia Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Virginia County Obituaries (usgwarchives.net)
Prince Edward Co. VA Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
- Prince Edward Co., Virginia Graves (findagrave.com)
- Prince Edward County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Prince Edward Co., Virginia Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Prince Edward Co., Virginia Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Prince Edward County, Virginia Church Books (amazon.com)
Prince Edward Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Create a Free Family Tree (ancestry.com)
- Virginia Penny Postcards (usgwarchives.net)
- Prince Edward County Pictures (usgwarchives.net)
Prince Edward Co. VA General and History Websites
- Prince Edward County Virginia (genealogytrails.com)
- A history of Prince Edward County, Virginia : from its formation in 1753, to the present (search.ancestry.com)
- Prince Edward County, Virginia Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Prince Edward County, Virginia Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Prince Edward Co. VA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Prince Edward County History (usgwarchives.net)
- Prince Edward County, Virginia (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – Virginia – Counties – Prince Edward (cyndislist.com)
- Prince Edward Co. VAGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Prince Edward County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Prince Edward Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Prince Edward Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of Virginia Links and Information
- 1895 Prince Edward County Map (livgenmi.com)
Prince Edward Co. VA Military Records
- Virginia Military Records Research Guide
- Virginia Revolutionary War Units (revolutionarywar101.com)
- Virginia Military Records (Fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Virginia both women and men which served. Ideal for genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.