Charlotte County, Virginia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Charlotte County, Virginia Facts
When was Charlotte County, VA Created?
Charlotte County was established on November 27, 1764 from Lunenburg County .
Charlotte County, VA Vital Records
Where can find Charlotte County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Charlotte County vital records can be found at the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has Birth and Death Records since June 14, 1912 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Charlotte County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Charlotte Co. Virginia Birth, Marriage, Divorce, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
The Archives Division has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896 and marriage records prior to 1936. Another resource is the Charlotte County Health Department, 270 David Bruce Avenue, Charlotte Court House, VA 23923; Phone:(434) 542-5251
- Charlotte County, Virginia Births, 1883-96
- Charlotte County, Virginia Births, 1875-78
- Charlotte County, Virginia Births, 1879-82
- Charlotte County, Virginia Births, 1860-74
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- USGenweb Archives Virginia Marriage Project
- Virginia Births and Christenings, 1853-1917
- Virginia Birth, Marriage, and Death Registers
- Virginia Birth and Marriage (Husband-Wife) Indexes
- Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940
- Early Virginia Marriage Records
- Early Virginia Marriage Records – Research Notes Number 26.
- Henley Marriage/Obituary Index to Virginia Newspapers
- Index to Virginia Marriage Records
- Marriage Index for Richmond Enquirer/Richmond Visitor
- Virginia Death Records Indexing Project
- Virginia Death Certificates, 1912-1939
- Virginia Deaths and Burials, 1853-1912
Charlotte County, VA Census Records
What Charlotte County, VA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Charlotte County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Charlotte Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Charlotte Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Charlotte Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Virginia Census Records Research Guide
Charlotte County, VA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Charlotte County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Charlotte County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Virginia Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Charlotte County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Address: 125 David Bruce Avenue, P. O. Box 38, Charlotte Cthse, VA 23923-0038
- Phone: (434) 542-5147
- Marriage Records: 1765
- Land Records: 1765
- Court Records: 1765
- Probate Records: 1763
- Virginia Land, Marriage, and Probate Records, 1639-1850
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes
- Virginia County Records, Volume, VI, VII , IX, X – The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- BLM Land Records
Charlotte County, VA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Charlotte County, VA?
A list of Charlotte County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Virginia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- South Central Virginia Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 295, Charlotte C.H., Va 23923
- Charlotte County Historical and Genealogical Society, 600 David Bruce Avenue, Charlotte Court House, VA. 23923
- Charlotte County Library, 112-116 LeGrande Avenue, P. O. Box 788, Charlotte Court House, VA 23923, Phone 434-542-5247
- Keysville Branch Library, King Street, Keysville, VA 23947, Phone 804-736-0083
- The Library of Virginia, Archives And Research Services , 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- The Library of Virginia, 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- Virginia Genealogical Society, 5001 West Broad Street, Suite 115, Richmond, Virginia 23230-3023 Telephone (804) 285-8954
- Virginia Historical Society, 428 North Boulevard, Richmond, Virginia 23220, Phone: 804.358.4901
- Charlotte County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage – Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Charlotte Co. Virginia
Where can I connect with other Charlotte County, VA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Virginia Genealogy Network
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Charlotte County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Charlotte County
- Charlotte County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Charlotte County, VA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Charlotte County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.