Augusta County, Virginia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Augusta County, Virginia Facts
Augusta County was founded in December 15, 1738 and was formed from Orange County (Authorized in 1738, but the government was not formed until 1745. See also Montgomery County) . This county was named for Augusta of Saxe-Gotha, the Princess of Wales.
What is the County Seat of Augusta County, VA?
The County Seat is located in Staunton also, the county government website is www.co.augusta.va.us/ .
What counties are adjacent to Augusta County, VA?
Bordering Counties are Pendleton County, West Virginia (north), Rockingham County (northeast), Albemarle County (east), Nelson County (southeast), Rockbridge County (southwest), Bath County (west), Highland County (northwest).
What cities and towns are in Augusta County, VA?
Cities and towns located in Augusta County include Craigsville, Grottoes (partial). The Independent City of Staunton and Independent City of Waynesboro (incorporated as such in 1902 and 1948 respectively) are located within the boundaries of Augusta County, but are not a part of the county .
Augusta County, VA Vital Records
Where can find Augusta County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Augusta County vital records can be found at the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has Birth and Death Records since June 14, 1912 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Augusta County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Augusta Co. Virginia Birth, Marriage, Divorce, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
The Archives Division has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896 and marriage records prior to 1936.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Virginia Marriage Project
- Virginia Births and Christenings, 1853-1917
- Virginia Birth, Marriage, and Death Registers
- Virginia Birth and Marriage (Husband-Wife) Indexes
- Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940
- Virginia Marriage Records
- Virginia Marriages before 1824
- Early Virginia Marriage Records
- Virginia Marriages to 1800
- Virginia Marriages, 1740-1850
- Virginia Marriages, 1851-1929
- Virginia Vital Records
- Early Virginia Marriage Records - Research Notes Number 26.
- Henley Marriage/Obituary Index to Virginia Newspapers
- Index to Virginia Marriage Records
- Marriage Index for Richmond Enquirer/Richmond Visitor
- Virginia Death Records Indexing Project
- Virginia Death Certificates, 1912-1939
- Virginia Deaths and Burials, 1853-1912
Augusta County, VA Census Records
What Augusta County, VA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Augusta County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790 (destroyed), 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Augusta Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Augusta Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Augusta Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Virginia Census Records Research Guide
Augusta County, VA Courthouse and Government Records
Augusta County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Augusta County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Augusta County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Virginia Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Augusta County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: P. O. Box 689, Augusta County Courthouse, 1 East Johnson Street, Staunton, VA 24402-0689
- Phone: (540) 245-5321
- Marriage Records: 1785
- Land Records: 1745
- Court Records: 1745
- Probate Records: 1745
- Augusta County Property Records Search
- Augusta County Commissioner of the Revenue
- Augusta County Treasurer
- Augusta-Staunton Health Department, District Headquarters building, 1414 North Augusta Street, P.O. Box 2126, Staunton, VA 24402; Main Reception: (540) 332-7830
- Virginia Land, Marriage, and Probate Records, 1639-1850
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes - County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
- Virginia County Records, Volume, VI, VII , IX, X - The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- BLM Land Records
Augusta County, VA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Augusta County, VA?
A list of Augusta County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Virginia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Augusta County Geneaogical Society, PO Box 436, Fishersville Va 22939. We have an office located at 22 South New Street, Staunton VA. No telephone is available at this time.
- Augusta County Historical Society, 20 South New Street, P.O. Box 686, Staunton, VA 24402-0686; Telephone: 540-248-4151
- William Thompson Genealogical and Historical Society, Glenn W. Thompson, Jr., P.O. Box 1391, Waynesboro, VA 22980-0933
- Augusta County Library, 1759 Jefferson Hwy., Fishersville, VA 22939; Phone: (540) 949-6354
- Churchville Branch Library, 3714 Churchville Ave, Churchville, VA 24421; Phone 540-245-5287
- Augusta County Central Library, Route 250 & Intersection 608, P.O. Box 600, Fishersville, VA 22939; (540) 885-3961
- Waynesboro Public Library, 600 South Wayne Avenue, Waynesboro, VA 22980; (540) 942-6746
- The Library of Virginia, Archives And Research Services , 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- The Library of Virginia, 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- Virginia Genealogical Society, 5001 West Broad Street, Suite 115, Richmond, Virginia 23230-3023 Telephone (804) 285-8954
- Virginia Historical Society, 428 North Boulevard, Richmond, Virginia 23220, Phone: 804.358.4901
- Augusta County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Augusta Co. Virginia
Where can I connect with other Augusta County, VA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Augusta County, VA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Augusta County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Augusta Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Augusta Co. VA Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Augusta Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Augusta Co. VA General and History Websites
Augusta Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Augusta Co. VA Military Records