Tipton County, Tennessee
Tipton County, Tennessee Facts
When was Tipton County, TN Created?
Tipton County was founded on October 29, 1823 from Shelby County (previously Chickasaw lands) . This county was named in honor of Jacob Tipton, father of Armistead Blevins, who supervised the organization of Shelby County; Tipton was killed by Native Americans in 1791 in a conflict over the Northwest Territory
What is the County Seat of Tipton County, TN?
The County Seat of government is located in Covington also, the county government website is www.tiptonco.com .
What counties are adjacent to Tipton County, TN?
Bordering counties are Lauderdale County (north), Haywood County (east), Fayette County (southeast), Shelby County (south), Crittenden County, AR (southwest) and Mississippi County, AR (northwest) .
What cities and towns are in Tipton County, TN?
Cities and towns located in the county include Atoka, Brighton, Burlison, Covington, Garland, Gilt Edge, Mason, Munford, Reverie .
Tipton County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Tipton County Courthouse?
Tipton County Courthouse
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Tipton County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Tipton County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: P.O. Box 528, 220 Hwy 51 North, Suite 2, Covington, TN 38019 Genealogy Info
- Phone: (901) 476-0207
- Marriage Records: 1840
- Probate Records: 1824
- Tipton County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: P.O. Box 626, Covington, TN 38019
- Phone: (901) 476-0204
- Land & Deed Records: 1824
- Tipton County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 1801 S. College Street, Ste. 102, Covington, TN 38019
- Phone: 901-475-3310
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1854
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1832
- County Court Minutes: 1823
- Tipton County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: P. O. Box 342 , Covington, Tn. 38019
- Phone: 901-476-0213
- Tax Records: ? (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- Tipton County Health Department, P. O. Box 685, 4700 Mueller Brass Road, Covington, TN 38019; (901) 476-0235 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Where can find Tipton County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Tipton County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Tipton County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What Tipton County, TN census records are available?
Federal Population Schedules for Tipton County can be found for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Tipton Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Tipton Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Tipton Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Tipton County, TN?
- Tipton County Public Library, 300 W. Church Ave., Covington, TN 38019 901-476-8289
Tipton County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other Tipton County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Tipton County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Tipton County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Tipton County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Tipton Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Tipton Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Tipton Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Tipton Co. TN Census Records
Tipton Co. TN Cemeteries & Church Records
Tipton Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Tipton Co. TN General and History Websites
Tipton Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Tipton Co. TN Military Records