Marion County, Tennessee
Marion County, Tennessee Facts
When was Marion County, TN Created?
Marion County was founded on November 20, 1817 from Cherokee Indian lands. This county was named in honor of Francis Marion (1732–1795), the "Swamp Fox" of the American Revolutionary War.
What is the County Seat of Marion County, TN?
The County Seat of government is located in Jasper also, the county government website is marioncountychamber.com/ .
What counties are adjacent to Marion County, TN?
Bordering counties are Grundy County (north), Sequatchie County (northeast), Hamilton County (east), Dade County, Georgia (southeast), Jackson County, AL (southwest) and Franklin County (west) .
What cities and towns are in Marion County, TN?
Cities and towns located in the county include Jasper, Kimball, New Hope, Orme, Powells Crossroads, South Pittsburg, Whitwell .
Marion County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Marion County Courthouse?
Marion County Courthouse
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Marion County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county. There was a fire at the Marion County courthouse in 1922, destroying some early records.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Marion County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 24 Courthouse Sq Rm 101, PO Box 789 (annex Bldg), Jasper, TN 37347
- Phone: 423-942-2515
- Marriage Records: 1881
- Probate Records: 1875
- Marion County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: P.O. Box 789, 1 Courthouse Square Room 102, Jasper, TN 37347
- Phone: (423) 942-2573
- Land & Deed Records: 1819
- Marion County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: Marion County Justice Center, Jasper, TN 37347
- Phone: 423-942-8020
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1922
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1922
- County Court Minutes: 1842
- Marion County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: P.O. Box 789, Courthouse, Jasper, TN 37347
- Phone: (423) 942-3494
- Tax Records: 1836, 1875 (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- Marion County Health Department, 24 East 7th St., Jasper, TN 37347; (423) 942-2238 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Where can find Marion County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Marion County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Marion County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What Marion County, TN census records are available?
Federal Population Schedules for Marion County can be found for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Marion Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marion Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marion Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Marion County, TN?
- Marion County Genealogical & Historical Group, 6611 Old Dunlap Road, Whitwell, TN 37397; (423) 658-5770
- Orena Humphreys Public Library, 900 Main Street, Suite 1, Whitwell, TN 37397 423-658-6134
Marion County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other Marion County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Marion County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Marion County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Marion County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Marion Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Marion Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Marion Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Marion Co. TN Census Records
Marion Co. TN Cemeteries & Church Records
Marion Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Marion Co. TN General and History Websites
Marion Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Marion Co. TN Military Records