Hamilton County, Tennessee
Hamilton County, Tennessee Facts
When was Hamilton County, TN Created?
What is the County Seat of Hamilton County, TN?
What counties are adjacent to Hamilton County, TN?
Bordering counties are Bledsoe County, Rhea County, Meigs County, Bradley County, Whitfield County, Georgia, Catoosa County, Georgia, Walker County, Georgia, Dade County, Georgia, Marion County and Sequatchie County .
Hamilton County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Hamilton County Courthouse?
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Hamilton County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county.
- Hamilton County Clerk
- Address: 625 Georgia Avenue, Room 101, Chattanooga, TN 37402
- Phone: (423) 209-7934
- Marriage Records: 1857
- Probate Records: 1862
- Hamilton County Register of Deeds
- Address: P.O. Box 1639, Chattanooga, TN 37401
- Phone: (423) 209-6560
- Land & Deed Records: 1796
- Hamilton County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Address: 625 Georgia Avenue, Room 500, Chattanooga, TN 37402
- Phone: 423-209-6700
- Chancery Court Minutes: ?
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1860
- County Court Minutes: ?
Where can find Hamilton County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Hamilton County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Hamilton County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What Hamilton County, TN census records are available?
Hamilton Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hamilton Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hamilton Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Hamilton County, TN?
- East Tennessee Historical Society, P.O. Box 1629, Knoxville 37901
- Hamilton County Records Center, 6233 Dayton Blvd., Chattanooga , TN 37343 ; Phone: (423) 209-8980
- Hamilton County Genealogical Society, 3949 Hixson Pike, Chattanooga, TN 37415
- Chattanooga-Hamilton County Bicentenniel Library, 1001 Broad St., Chattanooga, TN 37402; (423) 757-5317
- Baylor School Archives, Williams Island Ferry Road, PO Box 1337, Chattanooga, TN 37401 423-267-8505, ext. 209
- Chattanooga African American Heritage Museum, 200 E. Martin L. King Blvd., PO Box 11493, Chattanooga, TN 37403 423-266-8658
- Chattanooga Regional History Museum, 400 Chestnut Street, Chattanooga, TN 37402 423-265-3247
- Southern Adventist University, McKee Library, Industrial Drive, PO Box 629, Collegedale, TN 37315 423-238-2788
- Tennessee Temple University, Cierpke Memorial Library, 1815 Union Ave., Chattanooga, TN 37404 423-493-4250
Hamilton County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other Hamilton County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Tennessee Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Tennessee State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Hamilton County, Tennessee Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Hamilton County
- Hamilton County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- Genealogical “Fact Sheets” About Hamilton County (tn.gov) The purpose of these fact sheets is to help determine what sources are available for genealogical research about the people and places in Hamilton County. Although this is by no means an exhaustive list of all the possible places one might search, it does cover the major publications and microfilms available at TSLA on the Hamilton County.
What other genealogical resources are available in Hamilton County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Hamilton County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Hamilton County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.