Henry County, Tennessee
Henry County, Tennessee Facts
When was Henry County, TN Created?
Henry County was founded on November 7, 1821 from Chickasaw Indian lands. This county was named in honor of Revolutionary-era orator and Virginia legislator Patrick Henry (1736–1799).
What is the County Seat of Henry County, TN?
The County Seat of government is located in Paris also, the county government website is www.henryco.com .
What counties are adjacent to Henry County, TN?
Bordering counties are Calloway County, Kentucky (north), Stewart County (northeast), Benton County (southeast), Carroll County (south), Weakley County (west) and Graves County, Kentucky (northwest) .
What cities and towns are in Henry County, TN?
Cities and towns located in the county include Cottage Grove, Henry, Paris, Puryear .
Henry County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Henry County Courthouse?
Henry County Courthouse
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Henry county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Rather than go to the courthouse, you might want to do all your research work at the library. All available court records have been microfilmed and are available at the Rhea Public Library. In addition to court records, you will also find funeral home records, church records, all the Henry County census, Microfilmed Henry County newspaper, and WPA records. There is also a large collection of genealogy books in the special genealogy room.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Henry County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: P.O. Box 24, Paris, TN 38242
- Phone: 731-642-2412
- Marriage Records: 1838
- Probate Records: 1822
- Henry County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: P.O. Box 44, Paris, TN 38242
- Phone: (731) 642-4081
- Land & Deed Records: 1822
- Henry County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 101 West Washington Street, 2nd Fl., Paris, TN 38242
- Phone: 731-642-0461
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1846
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1834
- County Court Minutes: 1824
- Henry County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: PO Box 564 Paris, TN 38242
- Phone: 731-642-0162
- Tax Records: 1827-1837, 1840, 1843-1861, 1865-1873, 1875-1880, 1883-1885, 1887-1900 (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- Henry County Health Department, P. O. Box 609, 803 Joy Street, Paris, TN 38242; (731) 642-4025 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Where can find Henry County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Henry County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Henry County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What Henry County, TN census records are available?
Federal Population Schedules for Henry County can be found for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Henry Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Henry Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Henry Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Henry County, TN?
- Henry County Archive and Genealogy Library, 55 Jones Bend Ext. Rd., Paris , TN 38242; Phone: (731) 642-8655, Ext. 109; The Archive is part of the county, and preserves all the "old records" of the county Government for Henry County, Tennessee. Volunteers at the Archive also man the Genealogy Room at the Library as well. Genealogical Inquiries should be directed to the Archive.
- City of Paris Municipal Archives, P.O. Box 970, Paris , TN 38242; Phone: (731) 641-1455
- Henry County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1411, Paris, TN 38242
- Paris-Henry County Heritage Center, 614 N. Poplar Street, PO Box 822, Paris, TN 38242 731-642-1030
Henry County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other Henry County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Henry County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Henry County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Henry County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Henry Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Henry Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Henry Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Henry Co. TN Census Records
Henry Co. TN Cemeteries & Church Records
Henry Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Henry Co. TN General and History Websites
Henry Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Henry Co. TN Military Records