Bradley County, Tennessee
Bradley County, Tennessee Facts
When was Bradley County, TN Created?
Bradley County was founded on May 2, 1836 from the Ocoee District (which had been part of the Cherokee Nation). This county was named in honor of Tennessee state legislator Edward Bradley .
What is the County Seat of Bradley County, TN?
The County Seat of government is located in Cleveland also, the county government website is www.bradleyco.net .
What counties are adjacent to Bradley County, TN?
Bordering counties are Meigs County (north), McMinn County (northeast), Polk County (east), Murray County, Georgia (southeast), Whitfield County, Georgia (south) and Hamilton County (west) .
What cities and towns are in Bradley County, TN?
Cities and towns located in the county include Charleston, Cleveland, East Cleveland, Hopewell, South Cleveland, Wildwood Lake and Georgetown .
Bradley County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Bradley County Courthouse?
Bradley County Courthouse
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Bradley county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Bradley County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: PO Box 46, Cleveland, TN 37364
- Phone: 423-728-7226
- Marriage Records: 1864
- Probate Records: 1859
- Bradley County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: 155 North Ocoee St., Cleveland, TN 37364-0579
- Phone: (423-728-8888
- Land & Deed Records: 1862
- Bradley County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 155 North Ocoee Street, Rm. 205, Cleveland, TN 37311-5068
- Phone: 423-728-7220
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1838
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1838
- County Court Minutes: 1864
- Bradley County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: P.O. Box 1412, Cleveland, TN 37364-1412
- Phone: (423) 728-7125
- Tax Records: 1837-1839, 1865-1876, 1878-1880, 1885-1888, 1890, 1891, 1893-1898 (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- Bradley County Health Department, 201 Dooley Street, S.E., Cleveland, TN 37311, (423) 728-7020 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Where can find Bradley County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Bradley County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Bradley County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What Bradley County, TN census records are available?
Federal Population Schedules for Bradley County can be found for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Bradley Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Bradley Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Bradley Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Bradley County, TN?
A list of Bradley County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Bradley County Archives and Records Center, P.O. Box 1167, Cleveland , TN 37364; Phone: (423) 728-7201
- Cleveland History Branch and Archives, 833 North Ocoee Street, Cleveland , TN 37311; Phone: (423) 479-8367
- Bradley County Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 1384, Cleveland, TN 37364-1384
- Bradley County Historical Society, 833 North Ocoee St, Cleveland 37311
- Cleveland State Community College Library, 3535 Adkisson Drive, PO Box 3570, Cleveland, TN 37312 423-478-6209
- Pentecostal Research Center, 260 11st Street NE, Cleveland, TN 37311 423-614-8576
Bradley County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other Bradley County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Bradley County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Bradley County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Bradley County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Bradley Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Bradley Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Bradley Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Bradley Co. TN Census Records
Bradley Co. TN Cemeteries & Church Records
Bradley Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Bradley Co. TN General and History Websites
Bradley Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Bradley Co. TN Military Records