York County, Pennsylvania
Genealogy, History & Facts
York County, Pennsylvania Facts
When was York County, PA Created?
York County was established on August 19, 1749, from Lancaster County. The county was named for the English city of York.
What is the County Seat of York County, PA?
The County Seat is located in York and in addition the county government website is www.york-county.org/
What counties are adjacent to York County, PA?
Bordering Counties are Cumberland County (north), Dauphin County (northeast), Lancaster County (east), Harford County, Maryland (southeast), Baltimore County, Maryland (south), Carroll County, Maryland (southwest), Adams County (west).
What cities and towns are in York County, PA?
Municipalities located in York County include Townships: Carroll, Chanceford, Codorus, Conewago, Dover, East Hopewell, East Manchester, Fairview, Fawn, Franklin, Heidelberg, Hellam, Hopewell, Jackson, Lower Chanceford, Lower Windsor, Manchester, Manheim, Monaghan, Newberry, North Codorus, North Hopewell, Paradise, Peach Bottom, Penn, Shrewsbury, Spring Garden, Springettsbury, Springfield, Warrington, Washington, West Manchester, West Manheim, Windsor, York. Boroughs: Cross Roads, Dallastown, Delta, Dillsburg, Dover, East Prospect, Fawn Grove, Felton, Franklintown, Glen Rock, Goldsboro, Hallam, Hanover, Jacobus, Jefferson, Lewisberry, Loganville, Manchester, Mount Wolf, New Freedom, New Salem, North York, Railroad, Red Lion, Seven Valleys, Shrewsbury, Spring Grove, Stewartstown, Wellsville, West York, Windsor, Winterstown, Wrightsville, Yoe, York Haven, Yorkana. Cities & Towns: York. See also York County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
York County, PA Vital Records
Where can find York County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
York County vital records can be found at the Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for York County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Pennsylvania Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail. Walk-in service is available at any of these six public offices: Erie, Harrisburg, New Castle, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh or Scranton.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Pennsylvania Marriage Project
- Pennsylvania, Death Certificates, 1906-1924
- Pennsylvania, Church and Town Records, 1708-1985
- Pennsylvania Vital Records, Vol. I, Vol. II, Vol. III
- Pennsylvania, Births and Christenings, 1709-1950
- Pennsylvania, Births, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania Marriages to 1790
- Pennsylvania, Marriages, 1709-1940
- Pennsylvania, Marriages, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania County Marriages, 1885 – 1950
- Pennsylvania, Records of Marriages, 1885-1889
- Pennsylvania Marriages to 1810
- Pennsylvania, Marriage Records, 1700-1821
- Pennsylvania, Lutheran Baptisms and Marriages
- Pennsylvania, Deaths, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Death Certificates, 1803-1915
- Pennsylvania, Order Sons of Italy in America, Enrollment and Death Benefit Records, 1910-1968
York County, PA Census Records
What York County, PA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for York County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
York Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. York Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. York Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Pennsylvania Census Records Research Guide
York County, PA Courthouse and Government Records
York County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the York County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in York County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Pennsylvania Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- York County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 45 North George Street, York, PA 17401
- Phone: (717) 771-9288
- York County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Address: 28 East Market Street, York, PA 17401
- Phone: (717) 771-9213
- Land Records: 1749
- York County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records.Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- Phone: 717-771-9612
- Court & Divorce Records: 1749
- York County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages
- Phone: (717) 771-9262
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1749
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- York County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
- Pennsylvania, Wills and Probate Records, 1683-1993
- York County, Pennsylvania Wills, 1749-1819
- Early Pennsylvania Land Records
- BLM Land Records
York County, PA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for York County, PA?
A list of York County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Pennsylvania Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Pennsylvania Archives - Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission (fold3.com) series contains records of pennsylvania, from 1664 to 1780, and includes military, marriage, tax and land records. This is a Free Database.
- York County Archives, 150 Pleasant Acres Road, York, PA 17402; 717-840-7222
- Historical Society of York County , 250 East Market St., York, PA 17403-2090; (717) 848-1587
- York County Heritage Trust, 250 E. Market Street, York, PA 17403; 717-848-1587, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- South Central Pennsylvania Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1824, York, PA 17405-1824
- The Pennsylvania Archives Online
- Pennsylvania State Archives, 350 North Street, Harrisburg, PA 17120; Phone:(717) 783-3281
- Genealogical Society Of Pennsylvania, 2207 Chestnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19103; (215) 545-0391
- Historical Society Of Pennsylvania. 1300 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107; Phone: 215-732-6200
- State Library of Pennsylvania, Commonwealth Avenue and Walnut Street, P.O. Box 1601, Harrisburg, PA 17105-1601
Where can I connect with other York County, PA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in York County, PA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to York County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
York Co. PA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
York Co. PA Books, Newspapers & Publications
York Co. PA Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
- Pennsylvania Cemetery Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- York Co., Pennsylvania Graves (findagrave.com)
- York County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- York Co., Pennsylvania Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- York Co., Pennsylvania Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Pennsylvania Church Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- York County, Pennsylvania, 1801-53: Trinity Reformed Church (search.ancestry.com)
- York County, Pennsylvania, 1764-1936: Reformed Congregation of St. Paul's/Wolf's Church (search.ancestry.com)
- York County, Pennsylvania, 1801-73: Canadochly Lutheran and Reformed Congregations (search.ancestry.com)
- York County, Pennsylvania, 1758-1800: First Moravian Church (search.ancestry.com)
- York County, Pennsylvania, 1763-1869: St. David's/Sherman's Reformed and Lutheran Church (search.ancestry.com)
- York County, Pennsylvania, 1745-1800: First Reformed (Trinity) Church (search.ancestry.com)
- York County, Pennsylvania, 1800-56: Emmanuel's Reformed Church (search.ancestry.com)
- York County, Pennsylvania, 1764-1894: Wolf's (St. Paul's) Reformed and Lutheran Church (search.ancestry.com)
- York County, Pennsylvania, 1764-1800: Strayer's (Salem) Reformed Church (search.ancestry.com)
- York County, Pennsylvania Marriages, 1800-46: First Trinity Reformed Church (search.ancestry.com)
- St. Luke's Lutheran and Reformed Congregations, York County, Pennsylvania, 1773-1835 (search.ancestry.com)
- Chanceford Township, York County, Pennsylvania Church Records (search.ancestry.com)
- St. Matthew's Lutheran Church, York County, Pennsylvania, 1743-99 (search.ancestry.com)
- Pennsylvania: Reformed Congregation of Roth's Church Baptisms, York County 1818-1900 (search.ancestry.com)
- Private Church Registers to 1800, York County, Pennsylvania (search.ancestry.com)
- York County, Pennsylvania: Creutz Creek Church Records (search.ancestry.com)
- Evangelical Lutheran Congregation at Rossville, York County, Pennsylvania, 1843-88 (search.ancestry.com)
- Pennsylvania Quaker Records (search.ancestry.com)
- Mt. Zion Lutheran Church at Cedar Point, York County, Pennsylvania, 1868-1938 (search.ancestry.com)
- History of the Kreutz Creek Charge of the Reformed Church (search.ancestry.com)
- Pennsylvania, Church and Town Records, 1708-1985 (search.ancestry.com)
- York County, Pennsylvania Church Books (amazon.com)
York Co. PA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
York Co. PA General and History Websites
- York County, Pennsylvania Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of York County, Pennsylvania : from the earliest period to the present time, divided into general, special, township an (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Lancaster and York Counties : from the earliest settlements made within them, in the former, from 1709, in the latte (search.ancestry.com)
- York County, Pennsylvania Wiki (familysearch.org)
- York Co. PA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- York County, Pennsylvania (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Pennsylvania - Counties - York (cyndislist.com)
- York County Pennsylvania (genealogytrails.com)
- York Co. PAGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- York County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- York County, Pennsylvania USGenWeb Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- York Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
York Co. PA Immigration & Naturalization
York Co. PA Military Records