Tioga County, Pennsylvania
Genealogy, History & Facts
Tioga County, Pennsylvania Facts
When was Tioga County, PA Created?
Tioga County was established on March 26, 1804 from Lycoming County. The county was named for the Tioga River, itself named for the Lenape word for "forks of the stream".
What is the County Seat of Tioga County, PA?
The County Seat is located in Wellsboro and in addition the county government website is www.tiogacountypa.us
What counties are adjacent to Tioga County, PA?
Bordering Counties are Steuben County, New York (north), Chemung County, New York (northeast), Bradford County (east), Lycoming County (south), Potter County (west).
What cities and towns are in Tioga County, PA?
Municipalities located in Tioga County include Townships: Bloss, Brookfield, Charleston, Chatham, Clymer, Covington, Deerfield, Delmar, Duncan, Elk, Farmington, Gaines, Hamilton, Jackson, Lawrence, Liberty, Middlebury, Morris, Nelson, Osceola, Putnam, Richmond, Rutland, Shippen, Sullivan, Tioga, Union, Ward, Westfield. Boroughs: Blossburg, Elkland, Knoxville, Lawrenceville, Liberty, Mansfield, Roseville, Tioga, Wellsboro, Westfield. See also Tioga County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
Tioga County, PA Vital Records
Where can find Tioga County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Tioga County vital records can be found at the Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Tioga County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Pennsylvania Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail. Walk-in service is available at any of these six public offices: Erie, Harrisburg, New Castle, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh or Scranton.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Pennsylvania Marriage Project
- Pennsylvania, Death Certificates, 1906-1924
- Pennsylvania, Church and Town Records, 1708-1985
- Pennsylvania Vital Records, Vol. I, Vol. II, Vol. III
- Pennsylvania, Births and Christenings, 1709-1950
- Pennsylvania, Births, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania Marriages to 1790
- Pennsylvania, Marriages, 1709-1940
- Pennsylvania, Marriages, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania County Marriages, 1885 – 1950
- Pennsylvania, Records of Marriages, 1885-1889
- Pennsylvania Marriages to 1810
- Pennsylvania, Marriage Records, 1700-1821
- Pennsylvania, Lutheran Baptisms and Marriages
- Pennsylvania, Deaths, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Death Certificates, 1803-1915
- Pennsylvania, Order Sons of Italy in America, Enrollment and Death Benefit Records, 1910-1968
Tioga County, PA Census Records
What Tioga County, PA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Tioga County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Tioga Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Tioga Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Tioga Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Pennsylvania Census Records Research Guide
Tioga County, PA Courthouse and Government Records
Tioga County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Tioga County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Tioga County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Pennsylvania Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Tioga County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 116 Main Street, Wellsboro, PA 16091
- Phone: (570) 724-9260
- Tioga County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Phone: (570) 724-9260
- Land Records: 1806
- Tioga County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records.Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- Phone: (570) 724-9281
- Court & Divorce Records: 1806
- Tioga County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages
- Phone: (570) 724-9260
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1806
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Tioga County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
- Pennsylvania, Wills and Probate Records, 1683-1993
- Early Pennsylvania Land Records
- BLM Land Records
Tioga County, PA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Tioga County, PA?
A list of Tioga County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Pennsylvania Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Pennsylvania Archives - Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission (fold3.com) series contains records of pennsylvania, from 1664 to 1780, and includes military, marriage, tax and land records. This is a Free Database.
- Tioga County Historical Society, Box 724, Wellsboro, PA 16901 - Phone - 570-724-6116
- The Pennsylvania Archives Online
- Pennsylvania State Archives, 350 North Street, Harrisburg, PA 17120; Phone:(717) 783-3281
- Genealogical Society Of Pennsylvania, 2207 Chestnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19103; (215) 545-0391
- Historical Society Of Pennsylvania. 1300 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107; Phone: 215-732-6200
- State Library of Pennsylvania, Commonwealth Avenue and Walnut Street, P.O. Box 1601, Harrisburg, PA 17105-1601
Where can I connect with other Tioga County, PA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Tioga County, PA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Tioga County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Tioga Co. PA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Tioga Co. PA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Tioga Co. PA Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
- Pennsylvania Cemetery Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Tioga Co., Pennsylvania Graves (findagrave.com)
- Tioga County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Tioga Co., Pennsylvania Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Tioga Co., Pennsylvania Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Pennsylvania Church Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Book of remembrance, Presbyterian Church, Spencer, N.Y., 1815-1915 (search.ancestry.com)
- Pennsylvania, Church and Town Records, 1708-1985 (search.ancestry.com)
- Tioga County, Pennsylvania Church Books (amazon.com)
Tioga Co. PA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Tioga Co. PA General and History Websites
Tioga Co. PA Immigration & Naturalization
Tioga Co. PA Military Records