Indiana County, Pennsylvania
Genealogy, History & Facts
Indiana County, Pennsylvania Facts
When was Indiana County, PA Created?
Indiana County was established on March 30, 1803 from Lycoming County and Westmoreland County. The county was named for the Native Americans.
What is the County Seat of Indiana County, PA?
The County Seat is located in Indiana and in addition the county government website is www.countyofindiana.org
What counties are adjacent to Indiana County, PA?
Bordering Counties are Jefferson County (north), Clearfield County (east), Cambria County (southeast), Westmoreland County (south), Armstrong County (west).
What cities and towns are in Indiana County, PA?
Municipalities located in Indiana County include Townships: Armstrong, Banks, Black Lick, Brush Valley, Buffington, Burrell, Canoe, Center, Cherryhill, Conemaugh, East Mahoning, East Wheatfield, Grant, Green, Montgomery, North Mahoning, Pine, Rayne Township (includes the village of Home), South Mahoning, Washington, West Mahoning, West Wheatfield, White, Young. Boroughs: Armagh, Blairsville, Cherry Tree, Clymer, Creekside, Ernest, Glen Campbell, Homer City, Indiana, Marion Center, Plumville, Saltsburg, Shelocta, Smicksburg. See also Indiana County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
Indiana County, PA Vital Records
Where can find Indiana County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Indiana County vital records can be found at the Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Indiana County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Pennsylvania Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail. Walk-in service is available at any of these six public offices: Erie, Harrisburg, New Castle, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh or Scranton.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Pennsylvania Marriage Project
- Pennsylvania, Death Certificates, 1906-1924
- Pennsylvania, Church and Town Records, 1708-1985
- Pennsylvania Vital Records, Vol. I, Vol. II, Vol. III
- Pennsylvania, Births and Christenings, 1709-1950
- Pennsylvania, Births, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania Marriages to 1790
- Pennsylvania, Marriages, 1709-1940
- Pennsylvania, Marriages, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania County Marriages, 1885 – 1950
- Pennsylvania, Records of Marriages, 1885-1889
- Pennsylvania Marriages to 1810
- Pennsylvania, Marriage Records, 1700-1821
- Pennsylvania, Lutheran Baptisms and Marriages
- Pennsylvania, Deaths, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Death Certificates, 1803-1915
- Pennsylvania, Order Sons of Italy in America, Enrollment and Death Benefit Records, 1910-1968
Indiana County, PA Census Records
What Indiana County, PA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Indiana County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Indiana Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Indiana Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Indiana Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Pennsylvania Census Records Research Guide
Indiana County, PA Courthouse and Government Records
Indiana County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Indiana County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Indiana County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Pennsylvania Corthouse Records Research Guide
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Indiana was attached to Westmoreland County until 1806.
- Indiana County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 825 Philadelphia Street, Indiana, PA 15701
- Phone: (724) 465-3855
- Indiana County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Phone: (724) 465-3860
- Land Records: 1806
- Indiana County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records.Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- Phone: (724) 465-3855
- Court & Divorce Records:1806
- Indiana County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages
- Phone: (724) 465-3860
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1803
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Indiana County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
- Early Pennsylvania Land Records
- BLM Land Records
Indiana County, PA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Indiana County, PA?
A list of Indiana County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Pennsylvania Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Pennsylvania Archives - Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission (fold3.com) series contains records of pennsylvania, from 1664 to 1780, and includes military, marriage, tax and land records. This is a Free Database.
- Historical & Genealogical Society of Indiana County, 200 S. Sixth Street, Indiana, Pennsylvania 15701; 724-463-9600
- The Pennsylvania Archives Online
- Pennsylvania State Archives, 350 North Street, Harrisburg, PA 17120; Phone:(717) 783-3281
- Genealogical Society Of Pennsylvania, 2207 Chestnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19103; (215) 545-0391
- Historical Society Of Pennsylvania. 1300 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107; Phone: 215-732-6200
- State Library of Pennsylvania, Commonwealth Avenue and Walnut Street, P.O. Box 1601, Harrisburg, PA 17105-1601
Where can I connect with other Indiana County, PA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Indiana County, PA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Indiana County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Indiana Co. PA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Indiana Co. PA Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Pennsylvania Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Historical Newspapers from Pennsylvania (1719 - 1997) (genealogybank.com) Immediately uncover names and keywords and phrases in over 450 million content articles, obituaries, marriage announcements, birth announcements as well as other items printed in over 2,800 historic U.S. newspapers. Brand new content added monthly!
- Indiana Evening Gazette (Indiana, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- Indiana Progress (Indiana, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- Indiana Weekly Messenger (Indiana, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Indiana Gazette (Indiana, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Indiana Democrat (Indiana, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- Indiana County Gazette (Indiana, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Indiana Messenger (Indiana, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Indiana Weekly Progress (Indiana, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Blairsville Press (Blairsville, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- Indiana Democrat (Indiana, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- Indiana Gazette (Indiana, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- Indiana County, Pennsylvania Books (amazon.com)
- Search Pennsylvania Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Indiana County Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Indiana Co. PA Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Indiana Co. PA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Indiana Co. PA General and History Websites
- Indiana County, Pennsylvania Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- The history and topography of Dauphin, Cumberland, Franklin, Bedford, Adams, Perry, Somerset, Cambria & Indiana counties : cont (search.ancestry.com)
- Biographical and historical cyclopedia of Indiana and Armstrong Counties, Pennsylvania (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Indiana County, Penn'a. (search.ancestry.com)
- The Celebration of the 200th Anniversary of the Birth of George Washington (search.ancestry.com)
- Indiana, Pennsylvania, one hundred fiftieth anniversary, August 8-13 (search.ancestry.com)
- Indiana County, Pennsylvania Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Indiana Co. PA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Indiana County, Pennsylvania (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Pennsylvania - Counties - Indiana (cyndislist.com)
- Indiana County Pennsylvania (genealogytrails.com)
- Indiana Co. PAGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Indiana County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Indiana County, Pennsylvania USGenWeb Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Indiana Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Indiana Co. PA Immigration & Naturalization
Indiana Co. PA Military Records
Indiana Co. PA Schools & Directories