Indiana County, Pennsylvania
Genealogy and Facts
Indiana County, Pennsylvania genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Indiana Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Indiana County was established on March 30, 1803 from Lycoming County and Westmoreland County. The county was named for the Native Americans.
Currently the Indiana County Seat is located in Indiana and in addition the county government website is www.countyofindiana.org
Counties adjacent to Indiana County are Jefferson County (north), Clearfield County (east), Cambria County (southeast), Westmoreland County (south), Armstrong County (west).
Municipalities situated in Indiana County consist of Townships: Armstrong, Banks, Black Lick, Brush Valley, Buffington, Burrell, Canoe, Center, Cherryhill, Conemaugh, East Mahoning, East Wheatfield, Grant, Green, Montgomery, North Mahoning, Pine, Rayne Township (includes the village of Home), South Mahoning, Washington, West Mahoning, West Wheatfield, White, Young. Boroughs: Armagh, Blairsville, Cherry Tree, Clymer, Creekside, Ernest, Glen Campbell, Homer City, Indiana, Marion Center, Plumville, Saltsburg, Shelocta, Smicksburg. See also Indiana County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
Indiana County does have Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Indiana Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Indiana Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Indiana Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help with your research.
Indiana County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Indiana County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Indiana County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often forget the great importance of Indiana County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogical information. Hidden away in Pennsylvania courthouses and archives everywhere are the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Pennsylvania inhabitants. The possibilities are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least several factors of their lives in the Indiana County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You should speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or looking for information because of sometimes changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of employees will guide individuals in locating the materials, but it's up to the man or women to complete the researching.
The below information and facts shows whatever death, marriage, birth,, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Indiana County. The dates indicated listed below tend to be the first known records data with this county. Indiana was attached to Westmoreland County until 1806.
- Indiana County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 825 Philadelphia Street, Indiana, PA 15701
- Phone: (724) 465-3855
- Indiana County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Phone: (724) 465-3860
- Land Records: 1806
- Indiana County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records.Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- Phone: (724) 465-3855
- Court & Divorce Records:1806
- Indiana County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages
- Phone: (724) 465-3860
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1803
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Indiana County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
- Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Indiana County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Indiana County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Indiana County genealogy or family history related sites.
Indiana Co. PA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Indiana Co. PA Books, Newspapers & Publications
- See Also Statewide Newspapers Books & Publications Links for Pennsylvania
- Historical Newspapers from Pennsylvania (1719 - 1997) (genealogybank.com) Immediately uncover names and keywords and phrases in over 450 million content articles, obituaries, marriage announcements, birth announcements as well as other items printed in over 2,800 historic U.S. newspapers. Brand new content added monthly!
- Indiana Evening Gazette (Indiana, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- Indiana Progress (Indiana, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- Indiana Weekly Messenger (Indiana, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Indiana Gazette (Indiana, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Indiana Democrat (Indiana, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- Indiana County Gazette (Indiana, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Indiana Messenger (Indiana, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Indiana Weekly Progress (Indiana, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Blairsville Press (Blairsville, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- Indiana Democrat (Indiana, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- Indiana Gazette (Indiana, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- Indiana County, Pennsylvania Books (amazon.com)
- Pennsylvania Newspapers (newspaperarchives.com)
- Search Pennsylvania Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Indiana County Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Indiana Co. PA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Indiana Co. PA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Indiana Co. PA Census Records
Indiana Co. PA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Indiana Co. PA Church & Bible Records
Indiana Co. PA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Indiana Co. PA General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Pennsylvania
- Indiana County, Pennsylvania Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- The history and topography of Dauphin, Cumberland, Franklin, Bedford, Adams, Perry, Somerset, Cambria & Indiana counties : cont (search.ancestry.com)
- Biographical and historical cyclopedia of Indiana and Armstrong Counties, Pennsylvania (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Indiana County, Penn'a. (search.ancestry.com)
- The Celebration of the 200th Anniversary of the Birth of George Washington (search.ancestry.com)
- Indiana, Pennsylvania, one hundred fiftieth anniversary, August 8-13 (search.ancestry.com)
- Indiana County, Pennsylvania Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Indiana Co. PA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Indiana County, Pennsylvania (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Pennsylvania - Counties - Indiana (cyndislist.com)
- Indiana County Pennsylvania (genealogytrails.com)
- Indiana Co. PAGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Indiana County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Indiana County, Pennsylvania USGenWeb Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Indiana Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Indiana Co. PA Immigration & Naturalization
Indiana Co. PA Military Records
Indiana Co. PA Schools & Directories