Williams County, Ohio
Genealogy and Facts
Williams County, Ohio genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Williams Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Williams County was created on April 1, 1820 from Columbiana County and Stark County. This county was named for David Williams (1754-1831), captor of spy John André during the Revolutionary War.
The Williams County Seat is located in Bryan also, the county government website is www.co.williams.oh.us/ .
Areas bordering to Williams County are Hillsdale County, Michigan (north), Fulton County (east), Henry County (southeast), Defiance County (south), DeKalb County, Indiana (southwest), Steuben County, Indiana (northwest) .
Cities and towns located in Williams County include Bryan, Alvordton, Blakeslee, Edgerton, Edon, Holiday City, Montpelier, Pioneer, Stryker, West Unity. Other communities include Berlin, Kunkle, Williams Center.
Williams County Townships include Brady, Bridgewater, Center, Florence, Jefferson, Madison, Mill Creek, Northwest, Pulaski, St. Joseph, Springfield, Superior.
Williams County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Williams Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Williams Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Williams Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Williams County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Williams County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Williams County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 293, Bryan, OH 43506-0293; Phone: (419) 636-3751; Williams County Chapter, OGS meets at the East End Community, East End Park, OH on the second Monday of each month at 7:30pm except June when we meet the second Monday for a dinner and presentation of First Family certificates. No meeting in July and August. The William County Genealogical Society's holdings are housed in the genealogical section of the Bryan Public Library. The Society's publications include volumes of the census, cemetery, and marriage records of Williams County townships.
- Williams County Historical Society, PO Box 415, Montpelier, OH 43543-0415; Phone: (419) 485-8200; The Williams County Museum Complex is located on the fairgrounds in Montpelier, the museum houses changing exhibits and permanent displays ranging from early Williams County history to the 1980s. A new museum feature is the Children's Own Museum with children's hands-on exhibit area that includes a dress-up room, a miniature office, a drawing and coloring station and a sand table to replicate an archaeological dig. The Farm Museum presents the farming heritage of Williams County.
- Edgerton Historical Society, 237 E Bement St, Edgerton, OH 43517-9688; Phone: (419) 298-2124; The Edgerton Historical Society has exhibits at homecomings. Educational programs and bus tours of historical places in the area are available.
- Tiffin River Scenic & Historic Association, PO Box 648, Stryker, OH 43557-0648; Phone: (419) 636-9269; The Tiffin River Scenic and Historic Association initiated the development of the Rupps and the Knights Landing Parks on Tiffin River, successfully halted a 1988 proposal which would have required the channelization of the entire Ohio length of the Tiffin River, and has initiated plans for replacing the covered bridge at Lockport.
- Williams County Records Center, 107 West Butler, Bryan, OH 43506; 419-636-8253
- Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Jerome Library, 5th Floor, Bowling Green, OH 43403; Phone: (419) 372-2411; The Center for Archival Collections is a local history repository at Bowling Green State University, collecting materials that document the history of Northwest Ohio and Bowling Green State University. Collections include archives, public records, manuscripts, newspapers and photographs
- Williams County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Williams County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Williams County
- Williams County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Williams County
Williams County Courthouse and Government Records
Williams County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Williams County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Williams County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Williams County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Williams County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1 Courthouse Square, Bryan 43506
- Phone: (419) 636-2059
- Williams County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 419-636-1548
- Marriage Records: 1824
- Probate Records: 1825
- Williams County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 419-636-3259
- Land Records: 1824
- Williams County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 419-636-1551
- Court Records: 1824
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Williams County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Williams County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Williams County genealogy or family history related sites.
Williams Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Williams Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Williams Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Williams Co. OH Census Records
Williams Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Williams Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Williams Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Williams Co. OH General and History Websites
Williams Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Williams Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Williams Co. OH Military Records