DeKalb County, Indiana
DeKalb County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own DeKalb Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
DeKalb County was founded on May 1, 1837 from Unorganized Land. This county was named for Johann de Kalb, German noble who trained colonial soldiers for the American Revolutionary War.
The DeKalb County Seat is located in Auburn also, the county government website is www.co.dekalb.in.us/ .
Counties bordering DeKalb County are Steuben County (north), Williams County, Ohio (northeast), Defiance County, Ohio (southeast), Allen County (south), Noble County (west), LaGrange County (northwest).
Cities, Towns & Communities located in DeKalb County include Altona, Ashley, Auburn, Butler, Corunna, Garrett, Hamilton, Newville, Orange, Spencerville, Saint Joe, Waterloo.
Townships located in DeKalb County include Butler, Concord, Fairfield, Franklin, Grant, Jackson, Keyser, Newville, Richland, Smithfield, Spencer, Stafford, Troy, Union, Wilmington.
DeKalb County vital records can be found at the Indiana Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Indiana for current fees and application process.
You can search online for DeKalb County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Indiana Birth Certificate or Death Certificate Application to mail.
DeKalb County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
DeKalb Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. DeKalb Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. DeKalb Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
DeKalb County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of DeKalb County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Indiana Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- RAOGK Volunteers for Indiana (raogk.org)
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- DeKalb County Historian, John Bry, 108 N. Cedar St., Auburn, IN 46706; Home Phone: (260) 570-8421
- DeKalb County Historical Society, 201 E. Main St., Butler, IN 46721-1409; Phone: (260) 868-0979
- DeKalb Genealogical Society, c/o Eckhart Public Library, 603 S. Jackson Dtreet, Auburn , IN 46706
- Garrett Historical Society, P.O. Box 225, Garrett, IN 46738-0225; Phone: (260) 357-5575
- Willennar Genealogy Center, 700 S. Jackson St., Auburn, IN 46706-2267; Phone: (260) 925-2414 Ext 420
- DeKalb County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in DeKalb County
- DeKalb County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for DeKalb County
- USGenWeb Archives for DeKalb County
DeKalb County Courthouse and Government Records
DeKalb County Courthouse
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of DeKalb County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the DeKalb County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
The below details shows what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are typically in DeKalb County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records for this particular county. Courthouse destroyed by Fire in 1913, Probate records before 1860 were the worst loss.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
- DeKalb County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 S. Main Street, Auburn, IN 46706
- DeKalb County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: (260) 925-0912
- Marriage Records: 1837
- Probate Records: 1847
- Court Records: 1839
- DeKalb County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Phone: 260-925-2112
- Land Records: 1837
- DeKalb County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- DeKalb County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
- Address: 215 E. 9th St., Ste 201, Auburn, IN 46706-2362
- Phone: 260-925-2220
- Birth & Death Records: 1882
DeKalb County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to DeKalb County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked DeKalb County genealogy or family history related sites.
DeKalb Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
DeKalb Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
DeKalb Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
DeKalb Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
DeKalb Co. IN Census Records
DeKalb Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
DeKalb Co. IN Church & Bible Records
DeKalb Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
DeKalb Co. IN General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Indiana
- DeKalb County, Indiana Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of northeast Indiana : LaGrange, Steuben, Noble and DeKalb Counties (search.ancestry.com)
- Past and present of DeKalb County, Illinois (search.ancestry.com)
- History of De Kalb County, Indiana : together with sketches of its cities, villages and towns, educational, religious, civil, m (search.ancestry.com)
- Early Indiana History for DeKalb County (countyhistory.com)
- Map of DeKalb Co. Historical Markers (in.gov)
- DeKalb County, Indiana Wiki (familysearch.org)
- DeKalb Co. IN Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- DeKalb County, Indiana (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Indiana - Counties - DeKalb (cyndislist.com)
- DeKalb County Indiana (genealogytrails.com)
- DeKalb Co. INGenweb (ingenweb.org)
- DeKalb County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- DeKalb Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
DeKalb Co. IN Military Records