DeKalb County, Indiana
Genealogy, History & Facts
DeKalb County, Indiana Facts
When was DeKalb County, IN Created?
DeKalb County was established on May 1, 1837 from Unorganized Land. This county was named for Johann de Kalb, German noble who trained colonial soldiers for the American Revolutionary War.
What is the County Seat of DeKalb County, IN?
The County Seat is located in Auburn also, the county government website is www.co.dekalb.in.us/ .
What counties are adjacent to DeKalb County, IN?
Bordering Counties are Steuben County (north), Williams County, Ohio (northeast), Defiance County, Ohio (southeast), Allen County (south), Noble County (west), LaGrange County (northwest).
What cities and towns are in DeKalb County, IN?
Cities and towns located in the County include Altona, Ashley, Auburn, Butler, Corunna, Garrett, Hamilton, Newville, Orange, Spencerville, Saint Joe, Waterloo.
What Townships are in DeKalb County, IN?
Townships located in the County include Butler, Concord, Fairfield, Franklin, Grant, Jackson, Keyser, Newville, Richland, Smithfield, Spencer, Stafford, Troy, Union, Wilmington.
DeKalb County, IN Vital Records
Where can find DeKalb County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
DeKalb County vital records can be found at the Indiana Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Indiana for current fees and application process.
You can search online for DeKalb County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Indiana Birth Certificate or Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the DeKalb County Department of Health, 215 E. 9th St., Ste 201, Auburn, IN 46706-2362 ; Phone: 260-925-2220 ; maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records. They have Birth & Death Records from 1882.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Indiana Marriage Project
- Indiana, Births and Christenings, 1773-1933
- Indiana Births, 1880-1920
- Indiana Marriage Records, Various Sources 1919 – 2001
- Indiana Marriages to 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages through 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages: 1993-2004
- Indiana, Marriages, 1780-1992
- Indiana Marriage Collection, 1800-1941
- Indiana, Marriages, 1811-1959
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920
- Indiana Deaths, 1882-1920
DeKalb County, IN Census Records
What DeKalb County, IN census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Adams County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
DeKalb Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. DeKalb Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. DeKalb Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Indiana Census Records Research Guide
DeKalb County, IN Courthouse and Government Records
DeKalb County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the DeKalb County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in DeKalb County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Indiana Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Courthouse destroyed by Fire in 1913, Probate records before 1860 were the worst loss.
- DeKalb County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 S. Main Street, Auburn, IN 46706
- DeKalb County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: (260) 925-0912
- Marriage Records: 1837
- Probate Records: 1847
- Court Records: 1839
- DeKalb County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Phone: 260-925-2112
- Land Records: 1837
- DeKalb County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- BLM Land Records
DeKalb County, IN Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for DeKalb County, IN?
A list of DeKalb County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Indiana Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- DeKalb County Historian, John Bry, 108 N. Cedar St., Auburn, IN 46706; Home Phone: (260) 570-8421
- DeKalb County Historical Society, 201 E. Main St., Butler, IN 46721-1409; Phone: (260) 868-0979
- DeKalb Genealogical Society, c/o Eckhart Public Library, 603 S. Jackson Dtreet, Auburn , IN 46706
- Garrett Historical Society, P.O. Box 225, Garrett, IN 46738-0225; Phone: (260) 357-5575
- Willennar Genealogy Center, 700 S. Jackson St., Auburn, IN 46706-2267; Phone: (260) 925-2414 Ext 420
- Indiana State Archives, 6440 E. 30th St., Indianapolis, IN 46219; (317) 591-5222
- Indiana State Library, 140 North Senate Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46204-2296
- Indiana Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10507, Fort Wayne IN 46852
- Indiana Historical Society, 450 W. Ohio St, Indianapolis,IN 46202
Where can I connect with other DeKalb County, IN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in DeKalb County, IN?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to DeKalb County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
DeKalb Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
DeKalb Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
DeKalb Co. IN Cemeteries & Church Records
DeKalb Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
DeKalb Co. IN General and History Websites
- DeKalb County, Indiana Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of northeast Indiana : LaGrange, Steuben, Noble and DeKalb Counties (search.ancestry.com)
- Past and present of DeKalb County, Illinois (search.ancestry.com)
- History of De Kalb County, Indiana : together with sketches of its cities, villages and towns, educational, religious, civil, m (search.ancestry.com)
- Early Indiana History for DeKalb County (countyhistory.com)
- Map of DeKalb Co. Historical Markers (in.gov)
- DeKalb County, Indiana Wiki (familysearch.org)
- DeKalb Co. IN Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- DeKalb County, Indiana (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Indiana - Counties - DeKalb (cyndislist.com)
- DeKalb County Indiana (genealogytrails.com)
- DeKalb Co. INGenweb (ingenweb.org)
- DeKalb County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- DeKalb Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
DeKalb Co. IN Military Records