Wayne County, Ohio
Genealogy and Facts
Wayne County, Ohio genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Wayne Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Wayne County was created on March 1, 1808 from Columbiana County and Stark County. This county was named for General Anthony Wayne (1745–1796), a Revolutionary War officer .
The Wayne County Seat is located in Wooster also, the county government website is www.wayneohio.org/ .
Areas bordering to Wayne County are Medina County (north), Summit County (northeast), Stark County (
east), Holmes County (south), Ashland County (west) .
Cities and towns located in Wayne County include Orrville, Rittman, Wooster, Apple Creek, Burbank, Congress, Creston, Dalton, Doylestown, Fredericksburg, Marshallville, Mount Eaton, Shreve, Smithville, West Salem. Other communities include Funk, Kidron, Sterling.
Wayne County Townships include Baughman, Canaan, Chester, Chippewa, Clinton, Congress, East Union, Franklin, Green, Milton, Paint, Plain, Salt Creek, Sugar Creek, Wayne, Wooster.
Wayne County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Wayne Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wayne Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wayne Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Wayne County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Wayne County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Wayne County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 856, Wooster, OH 44691; Phone: (330) 262-5447; Wayne County Chapter, OGS meets at the Wayne County Library, 304 N. Market St., Wooster, OH on the first Saturday of each month at 2:00pm, except July. This OGS Chapter's genealogy collection is housed in the Genealogy Room of the Wayne County Public Library at 304 North Market Street.
- Wayne County Historical Society , 546 E Bowman St, Wooster, OH 44691-3110; Phone: (330) 264-8856; The Wayne County Historical Society campus includes the oldest Wooster Home (1815), a one-room schoolhouse (1873), a log house, the General Mercantile Store and Ladies Dress Shop, and the Kister Building where there are Native American artifacts, pioneer farm and carpenter tools, a carriage house, stuffed animals, the library and a formal gallery.
- Wayne County Public Library, 304 N Market St, Wooster, OH 44691, 330-262-0916; Gene. Staff 330-262-0916 ext. 225
- Apple Creek Historical Society, 6300 Secrest Rd, Wooster, OH 44691-8657; Phone: (330) 264-4189;
- Chippewa-Rogues' Hollow Historical Society, PO Box 283, Doylestown, OH 44230-0283; Phone: (330) 658-1238; The Chippewa-Rogues' Hollow Historical Society maintains the Chidester Mill Museum and preserves and promotes interest in the history of Chippewa Township, The Village of Doylestown, and the Rogues Hollow area.
- Creston Historical Society, 176 S Main St, Creston, OH 44217-9701; Phone: (330) 435-4204; The Creston Historical Society assembles documents and memorabilia, and writes and funds the printing of books about Creston. Material eventually will be housed in the Donald Sonnedecker Historical Room of the new Wayne County Branch Library in Creston.
- Dalton Community Historical Society, 115 E Main St, Dalton, OH 44618; Phone: (330) 828-2221
- Fredericksburg Community Preservation Society, 198 Mill St, Fredericksburg, OH 44627; Phone: (330) 695-7475;
- Kidron Community Historical Society , PO Box 234, 13153 Emerson Rd, Kidron, OH 44636-0234; Phone: (330) 857-9111; The Kidron-Sonnenberg Heritage Center is a museum on the square in Kidron that tells the story of the Swiss Mennonites who came to the area beginning in 1891. It houses artifacts, records, and other historical information including genealogical data bases containing over one million Swiss Mennonite, German, and Amish names.
- Marshallville Historical Society, 8781 Mt. Eaton Rd, Marshallville, OH 44645-0081; Phone: (330) 855-2212; The Marshallville Historical Society maintains a museum in a former blacksmith shop. The Society recently acquired a circa 1830 log cabin which it is presently renovating. On the site, too, is an Underground Railroad cellar, cut from solid rock located 35' underground.
- Mount Eaton-Paint Township Historical Society, PO Box 119, Mount Eaton, OH 44659-0119; Phone: (330) 359-5252;
- Orrville Historical Society , PO Box 437, Orrville, OH 44667-0437; Phone: (330) 683-8181; The Orrville Historical Museum holds a collection of Orrville history: tools, furniture, clothes, clocks, schoolbooks, pictures, dishes, and artifacts of industry. Once known for railroading and horse-trading, more recently the community has become identified with the J.M. Smucker Co.
- Orrville Railroad Heritage Society PO Box 11
Orrville, OH 44667-0011;
Phone: (330) 683-2426; The Orrville Railroad Heritage Society maintains the 1868 restored Orrville Union Depot that served two intersecting lines of the Pennsylvania Railroad. Displayed next to the depot is the interlocking tower that controlled the junction, and a PRR caboose. The Society conducts two annual open houses, Depot Days in early June, and a Holiday Open House at Thanksgiving. The ORHS also conducts about six passenger train excursions annually.
- Rittman Historical Society, PO Box 583, Rittman, OH 44270-0583; Phone: (330) 925-7531; The Rittman Historical Society is restoring the Gish House and holds an annual Christmas open house at the circa 1837 Knupp Church.
- Smithville Community Historical Society, 7716 Apple Creek Rd, Smithville, OH 44276-9741; Phone: (330) 669-2087; The Smithville Community Historical Society has restored and furnished a 2-story circa 1830 log cabin and the Mishler Weaving Mill, circa 1887. The Mill wove cotton dishcloths with belt-driven overhead line shafts. The Society now produces both dishcloths, rag rugs, and press cloths using the Mill's own looms, now over 100 years old. They also have two log homes, carriage barn and functioning blacksmith shop.
- West Salem Historical Society, 99 E Buckeye St, Schoolhouse Community Center, West Salem, OH 44287; Phone: (419) 853-4703;
- Wayne County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Wayne County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Wayne County
- Wayne County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Wayne County
Wayne County Courthouse and Government Records
Wayne County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Wayne County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Wayne County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Wayne County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Wayne County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 428 W., Liberty, Wooster 44691-4851
- Phone: (330) 263-3124
- Wayne County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Address: 107 West Liberty Street, Wooster, Ohio 44691
- Phone: (330) 287-5575
- Marriage Records: 1813
- Probate Records: 1817
- Wayne County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 330-287-5460
- Land Records: 1813
- Wayne County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Address: 107 West Liberty Street , Wooster, Ohio 44691
- Phone: 513-695-1120
- Court Records: 1812
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Wayne County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Wayne County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Wayne County genealogy or family history related sites.
Wayne Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Wayne Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Wayne Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Wayne Co. OH Census Records
Wayne Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Wayne Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Wayne Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Wayne Co. OH General and History Websites
Wayne Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Wayne Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Wayne Co. OH Military Records