Medina County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
Medina County, Ohio Facts
When was Medina County, OH Created?
Medina County was created on February 18, 1812 from Portage County (Organized in 1818). This county was named for Medina, world-renowned religious site and capital of the Al Madinah Province in western Saudi Arabia.
Medina County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Medina County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Medina County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Medina County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
Medina County, OH Census Records
What Medina County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Medina County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Medina Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Medina Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Medina Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Medina County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Medina County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Medina County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Ohio courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Ohio residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Medina County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Ohio Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Medina County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 93 Public Square, Medina 44256-2205
- Phone: (330) 723-3641
- Medina County Clerk of Probate Court
- Phone: 330-725-9703
- Marriage Records: 1818
- Probate Records: 1818
- Medina County Recorder
- Phone: 330-725-9782
- Land Records: 1818
- Medina County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas
- Phone: 330-725-9722
- Court Records: 1818
- Ohio, Wills and Probate Records, 1786-1998
- BLM Land Records
- Medina County USGenWeb Archives Project
Medina County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Medina County, OH?
A list of Medina County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Medina County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 804, Medina, OH 44258-0804; Phone: (330) 725-4257; Medina County Chapter, OGS meets on the second Sunday of each month at 1:30pm at the Medina County District Library Annex, 210 South Broadway, Medina.(Exception are research field trips, a July family picnic, a September FFMC Awards Banquet and a December Membership Dinner.) Please note: Due to planned construction of an addition to the MCDL in 2005, we are only assured meeting facilities through June 2005. This OGS Chapter seeks to promote interest in Medina County genealogy.
- Medina County Historical Society, PO Box 306, Medina, OH 44258-0306; Phone: (330) 722-134; The Medina County Historical Society maintains the John Smart House; a fourteen-room Victorian house of the Queen Anne style located one block from Medina’s Historic Square. The Museum’s furnishings include representative samples of Rococo Revival among others. Other exhibits reflect pioneer and Indian days, the Civil War era, and the old Chippewa Lake Park.
- Brunswick Area Historical Society, PO Box 714, Brunswick, OH 44212-0714; Phone: (330) 220-8352; The Brunswick Area Historical Society is a typical mid 1800’s small Ohio family farm with all the farm buildings intact. Undergoing restoration.
- Chatham Historical Society, 5394 Richman Rd, Litchfield, OH 44253-9706; Phone: (330) 667-2672; The Chatham Historical Society is dedicated to studying, preserving, and giving access to the history of Chatham Townships and its residents.
- Granger Historical Society, 1261 Ganger Rd, Medina, OH 44256-7337; Phone: (330) 239-2380; The Granger Library and Historical Society maintains the Thompson-Work Museum. The museum features the furnishing of the Thompson-Work family and a doll collection. The Aldrich B. Underwood Library houses historical reference collections, genealogy, township memorabilia and Native American artifact exhibits.
- Hinckley Historical Society Inc, PO Box 471, Hinckley, OH 44233-0471; Phone: (330) 278-3159; The Hinckley Historical Society maintains the Worden Heritage Homestead, a 1860s homestead which houses historical keepsakes of the Hiram Worden family and Hinckley Township history. Located behind the house are ten large sandstone carvings.
- Litchfield Historical Society, 4700 Avon Lake Rd, Litchfield, OH 44253-9527; Phone: (330) 722-7154; The Litchfield Historical Society assists in community projects in the Litchfield area. The 1846 circa house has undergone major restoration over the past two years and was opened to the public on 7-7-2002.
- Liverpool Township Historical Society, 7060 Center Rd, Valley City, OH 44280-9590; Phone: (330) 483-3994; The Liverpool Township Historical Society operates the Liverpool Township Depot, which the Society moved from its original site and restored. The Depot serves as a community meeting room and museum. Exhibits include a restored caboose and locomotive engine.
- Lodi Harrisville Historical Society Inc, Box 172, Lodi, OH 44254-0172; Phone: (330) 948-2748; The Lodi Historical Society’s holdings include postcards, arrowheads, newspapers and history books, historic tools, appliances, clothing, and many more items.
- Seville Historical Society, PO Box 312, Seville, OH 44273-0312; Phone: (330) 769-3471; The Seville Historical Society has moved an old one-room jail to its site. It is listed on the National Register. They are also interested in preserving the heritage of Seville and Guilford Township and the museum has artifacts of early Seville settlers including Captain and Anna Bates.
- Sharon Township Heritage Society, PO Box 154, Sharon Center, OH 44274-0154; Phone: (330) 336-3832; The Sharon Township Heritage Society has preserved two nineteenth century houses, a log home and bell tower and has completed a war memorial.
- Wadsworth Area Historical Society, PO Box 326, Wadsworth, OH 44281-0326; Phone: (330) 336-2437; The Wadsworth Area Historical Society is working on oral histories with tapes and videos throughout the area. The tapes are in the library and will be used to write books in the future. They are presently renovating the Traver-Johnson house for a grand opening of the Wadsworth Heritage Museum in 2003.
- Westfield Historical Society, PO Box 71, Westfield Center, OH 44251-0071; Phone: (330) 887-5525; The Westfield Historical Society has artifacts located in the upstairs of the Town Hall. It has wooden replicas of the village.
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Medina County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Medina County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Medina County
- Medina County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Medina County
What other genealogical resources are available in Medina County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Medina County.