Ottawa County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
Ottawa County, Ohio Facts
When was Ottawa County, OH Created?
Ottawa County was created on March 6, 1840 from Erie County, Lucas County and Sandusky County. This county was named for the Ottawa Indians; Ottawa means "trader" in their language .
What is the County Seat of Ottawa County, OH?
The County Seat is located in Port Clinton also, the county government website is www.co.ottawa.oh.us/ .
What counties are adjacent to Ottawa County, OH?
Bordering Counties are Ontario, Canada (north and east), Erie County (southeast), Sandusky County (south), Wood County (west), Lucas County (northwest) .
What cities and towns are in Ottawa County, OH?
Cities and towns located in the County include Port Clinton, Clay Center, Elmore, Genoa, Marblehead, Oak Harbor, Put-in-Bay, Rocky Ridge. Other communities include Curtice, Forest Park, Graytown, Gypsum, Isle St. George, Lacarne, Lakeside, Martin, Williston.
What townships are in Ottawa County, OH?
Townships located in the County include Allen, Bay, Benton, Carroll, Catawba Island, Clay, Danbury, Erie, Harris, Portage, Put-in-Bay, Salem.
Ottawa County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Ottawa County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Ottawa County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Ottawa County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
The Ottawa County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
- County Vital Records Held at the OHS
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Ohio Marriage Project
- Ohio, County Births, 1856-1909
- Ohio, Births and Christenings Index, 1800-1962
- Ohio, Births and Christenings, 1821-1962
- Ohio, Marriages, 1800-1958
- Ohio, County Marriages, 1790-1950
- Ohio Marriage Index, 1970, 1972-2007
- Ohio Marriages, 1803-1900
- Ohio Divorce Index, 1962-1963, 1967-1971, 1973-2007
- Ohio Death Certificate Index, 1913 – 1944
- Ohio, Deaths, 1908-1953
- Ohio, Death Index, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
- Ohio Deaths and Burials, 1854-1997
- Ohio Deaths, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
Ottawa County, OH Census Records
What Ottawa County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Ottawa County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Ottawa Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Ottawa Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Ottawa Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Ottawa County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
Ottawa County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Ottawa County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Ottawa County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Ohio Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Ottawa County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 315 Madison St., Port Clinton 43452-1993
- Phone: (419) 734-6710
- Ottawa County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 419-734-6830
- Marriage Records: 1840
- Probate Records: 1840
- Ottawa County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 419-734-6730
- Land Records: 1820
- Ottawa County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: (419) 734-6755
- Court Records: 1840
- Ohio, Wills and Probate Records, 1786-1998
- BLM Land Records
- Ottawa County USGenWeb Archives Project
Ottawa County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Ottawa County, OH?
A list of Ottawa County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Ottawa County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 193, Port Clinton, OH 43452-0193; Phone: (419) 898-0850; Ottawa County Chapter, OGS generally meets on the third Tuesday of each month (except July-none and August-picnic) at 7:00pm at the Community Room of the Ida Rupp Public Library, 310 Madison St., Port Clinton. This OGS Chapter meets monthly at the Ida Rupp Public Library.
- Ottawa County Historical Society, PO Box 385, Port Clinton, OH 43452-0385; Phone: (419) 836-7449; The Ottawa County Historical Society restored the circa 1820 residence of Benajah and Rachael Wolcott, called the Keeper's House. Slide presentations on Ottawa County history are available as well as the monthly open house and activities.
- Elmore Historical Society, PO Box 154, Elmore, OH 43416-0154; Phone: (419) 862-3552; The Elmore Historical Society is renovating the Elmore Depot using funds raised from the Portage River Festival.
- Lake Erie Islands Historical Society, PO Box 25, 441 Delaware Ave, Put-in-Bay, OH 43456-0025; Phone: (419) 285-2804; The Lake Erie Islands Historical Society has a 6,000 sq. ft. building, with local history vineyards, wineries, and hostels. The Battle of Lake ship model collection tracing the development of shipping on the Great Lakes from 1600-2000. They also have Interlakes Regatta Assn. Trophies and photos from 1885, a research library, archives, and genealogy data on island families.
- Lakeside Heritage Society Inc, 324 W 3rd St, Lakeside, OH 43440-1471; Phone: (419) 798-5519; The Lakeside Heritage Society preserves the history of the area. Its archives house books, photographs, maps, documents, pamphlets, and clippings of Lakeside and the Marblehead Peninsula. A collection of artifacts found at the Civil War prison on Johnson's Island is on display.
- Marblehead Lighthouse Historical Society, PO Box 144, Marblehead, OH 43440-0144; Phone: (419) 798-2094;
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Ottawa County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Ottawa County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Ottawa County.
Ottawa Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Ottawa Co. OH Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Ottawa Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Ottawa Co. OH General and History Websites
Ottawa Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Ottawa Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Ottawa Co. OH Military Records