Lucas County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
Lucas County, Ohio Facts
When was Lucas County, OH Created?
Lucas County was created on June 20, 1835 from Wood County and Sandusky County. This county was named for Robert Lucas (1781–1853), Governor of Ohio when the county was created .
What counties are adjacent to Lucas County, OH?
Bordering Counties are Monroe County, Michigan, Essex County, Ontario, Ottawa County, Wood County, Henry County, Fulton County, Lenawee County, Michigan .
Lucas County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Lucas County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Lucas County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Lucas County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
Lucas County, OH Census Records
What Lucas County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Lucas County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Lucas Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lucas Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lucas Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Lucas County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Lucas County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Lucas County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Ohio courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Ohio residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Lucas County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Ohio Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Lucas County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 800 Adams St, Toledo 43624
- Phone: (419) 213-4000
- Lucas County Clerk of Probate Court
- Address: 700 Adams Street, Suite 200, Toledo, Ohio 43604
- Phone: (419) 213-4775
- Marriage Records: 1835
- Probate Records: 1835
- Lucas County Recorder
- Address: One Government Center #700, 640 Jackson Street, Toledo, OH 43604
- Phone: 419-213-4400
- Land Records: 1808
- Lucas County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas
- Address: 700 Adams St., Toledo, OH 43604-5658
- Phone: (419) 213-4484
- Court Records: 1835
- Lucas County Probate Court Online Search includes Toledo
- Ohio, Wills and Probate Records, 1786-1998
- BLM Land Records
- Lucas County USGenWeb Archives Project
Lucas County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Lucas County, OH?
A list of Lucas County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Lucas County Chapter, OGS, 325 N. Michigan St., Toledo, OH 43624-1614; Lucas County Chapter, OGS meets at the Toledo-Lucas County Library, 325 N. Michigan St., in downtown Toledo on the third Saturday of each month, except July, August, and December at 1:30pm. This OGS Chapter seeks to foster and encourage an interest in preserving the historical and genealogical records of Lucas County. It sponsors the First Families of Lucas County and publishes indexed genealogical works to aid in researching individual heritage.
- Maumee Valley Historical Society, 1031 River Rd, Maumee, OH 43537-3460; Phone: (419) 893-9602; The Lucas County/Maumee Valley Historical Society operates the Wolcott House Museum Complex–six historic buildings including: the Wolcott House, an example of Federal architecture built in 1830; a log home from the banks of the Miami and Erie Canal; an 1840s saltbox-style farmhouse; the Clover Leaf Railroad Depot from the 1800s, the Monclova United Brethren Church; and an 1840 Greek Revival-style townhouse.
- Sylvania Area Historical Society, The, 5717 N Main St, Sylvania, OH 43560-1985; Phone: (419) 841-4892;
- Waterville Historical Society, PO Box 263, Waterville, OH 43566-0263; Phone: (419) 878-8695; The Waterville Historical Society maintains both the Robbins House and the Sargent House as historical museums, and provides walking tours of Waterville’s Historic District. Currently it is renovating the Wakeman Masonic Lodge into a meeting area and display location.
- Western Lake Erie Historical Society, 300 Phillips Ave Ste 343, Toledo, OH 43612-1491; Phone: (419) 478-0008; The Western Lake Erie Historical Society maintains the Willis B. Boyer (a 617-foot long lake freighter, circa 1911). Several staterooms have been converted into a museum containing lake-shipping exhibits and a major museum is being developed in the center hold (cargo space).
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Lucas County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Lucas County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Lucas County
- Lucas County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Lucas County
What other genealogical resources are available in Lucas County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Lucas County.