Henry County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
Henry County, Ohio Facts
When was Henry County, OH Created?
Henry County was created on April 1, 1820 from Logan County, Shelby County, Wood County and Williams County (Organized in 1834). This county was named for Patrick Henry (1736–1799), Revolutionary War-era legislator, orator, and scholar .
Henry County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Henry County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Henry County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Henry County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
Henry County, OH Census Records
What Henry County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Henry County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Henry Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Henry Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Henry Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Henry County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Henry County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Henry County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Ohio courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Ohio residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Henry County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Ohio Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Henry County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 660 N. Perry, Napoleon 43545-1702
- Phone: (419) 592-4876
- Henry County Clerk of Probate Court
- Phone: 419-592-7771
- Marriage Records: 1847
- Probate Records: 1847
- Birth / Death Records: 1867-1908
- Henry County Recorder
- Phone: 419-592-1766
- Land Records: 1846
- Henry County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas
- Phone: 419-592-5886
- Court Records: 1847
- Ohio, Wills and Probate Records, 1786-1998
- BLM Land Records
- Henry County USGenWeb Archives Project
Henry County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Henry County, OH?
A list of Henry County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Henry County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 231, Deshler, OH 43516; Henry County Chapter, OGS meets at the Edwin Wood Memorial Library in Deshler at 7:00pm on the third Monday evening of each month except December. The Henry County Chapter assists in any genealogical research of Henry County. Its holdings are housed at the home of Lucille Van Scoyoc.
- Bartlow Township Historical Society, PO Box 131, Deshler, OH 43516-0131; The Bartlow Township Historical Society promotes the railroad and other history of Deshler, the crossroads of the B&O Railroad. The Society is currently renovating a building on Main Street to be used as its museum.
- Henry County Historical Society, PO Box 443, Napoleon, OH 43545-0443; Phone: (419) 592-8006
- Liberty Center Historical Society, PO Box 106, Liberty Center, OH 43532-0106; Phone: (419) 598-8442
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Henry County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Henry County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Henry County
- Henry County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Henry County
What other genealogical resources are available in Henry County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Henry County.